all posts post new thread

Bodyweight L Sit Experiences

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Carl

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all,

I have built up to a fairly stable L Sit hold position from parallel bars. However my legs are an inch or so from the point of being parallel to the ground. I seem to be stuck here a little.

I'm assuming it's a strength, or technique, issue rather than flexibility as I have a decent range of flexibility motion beyond this point.

Interested to hear any queues/advice from those that practice the move. Do I just need to stay patient and work from where I am?

I just barely passed that point in hlr and my issue was not getting the tilt from the hip( tuck tail under ) now I'm almost toes to bar.

Last edited:
We could conjecture all we want but a picture (or even better, a video) would point the problem very quickly. There's a few things that could be wrong.

How deep is your standing pike btw? If you can comfortably touch palms to ground, then passive flexibility is most likely not an issue.

Can you Pistol Squat with a straight, airborne leg?

I would also say it is a strength issue. I remrmber being able to do the lsit from pushup handles bur could not do it from the floor. However I do not see a benefit in doing sets more than 30 sec. What helped me was tge following: do lsits between bars but make an extra effort on lifting the legs above parrallel. This works good between bars. Once you master that you would probably get lsits on the floor

Carl, how's your Hanging Leg Raise? You have the opportunity for some "same but different" by working on that, and one option you'll have in the HLR is getting your feet to the bar fairly quickly then working on controlling the lowering - this is a solid strategy that should help. You may also do this on bars.

-S-

Hi all,

I have built up to a fairly stable L Sit hold position from parallel bars. However my legs are an inch or so from the point of being parallel to the ground. I seem to be stuck here a little.

I'm assuming it's a strength, or technique, issue rather than flexibility as I have a decent range of flexibility motion beyond this point.

Interested to hear any queues/advice from those that practice the move. Do I just need to stay patient and work from where I am?
Do you do dips and if so how many?

I will see if this is an issue by getting someone to watch. This would make sense.

Im just barely past that point in hlr and my issue was not getting the tilt from the hip( tuck tail under ) now I'm almost toes to bar.

Thanks Steve.

I haven't focused on this in a while as the L Sit is my aim but occasionally do some hanging knee raises (post L Sit holds).

Keeping legs straight (for HLR) the last few inches around parallel are where I can feel I want to cheat out of the move (rush through). I haven't tried working the negative as per suggestion so that sounds a solid strategy.

I also use N Holds (knees bent to chest) in an isometric hold as an L Sit regression and hold this out for a long period. I often use this as the start position for the full L Sit as I'm on bars at the moment, not the ground.

I can feel all of these moves working the muscles but I am committed to getting those legs where they should be.

Carl, how's your Hanging Leg Raise? You have the opportunity for some "same but different" by working on that, and one option you'll have in the HLR is getting your feet to the bar fairly quickly then working on controlling the lowering - this is a solid strategy that should help. You may also do this on bars.

-S-

Thanks Marc,

I have been trying to do this by starting in a N Hold and then slowly bringing legs out in what feels like an above parallel position. Maybe I'm sitting back into the move at this point ( so legs are where they should be but tail isn't). I will ask my wife to video as what I think I'm doing might not be what I'm actually doing.

I agree, if I can get to a perfect 20-30 second hold that's enough for me for a set. I have no intention of turning it into a super endurance move.

I would also say it is a strength issue. I remrmber being able to do the lsit from pushup handles bur could not do it from the floor. However I do not see a benefit in doing sets more than 30 sec. What helped me was tge following: do lsits between bars but make an extra effort on lifting the legs above parrallel. This works good between bars. Once you master that you would probably get lsits on the floor

I can palm to the floor so don't think this is a flexibility issue but could be wrong.

I will get some pics/footage and maybe that is where I should have started!

I don't pistol at all. My single leg bw work is focused on airborne lunge type moves (leg behind) as I like to keep my back straight. At 6ft 2in there will be some rounding for pistols and I haven't focused on them to date. I also goblet squat and swing in rotations.

Thanks for suggestions.

We could conjecture all we want but a picture (or even better, a video) would point the problem very quickly. There's a few things that could be wrong.

How deep is your standing pike btw? If you can comfortably touch palms to ground, then passive flexibility is most likely not an issue.

Can you Pistol Squat with a straight, airborne leg?

Hi guys,

An update:

I've just come from the gym and, taking on board a few of the comments here, got to parallel legs with a nice hold. The problem appeared to be not tucking my tail under enough as per KB02's suggestion. I was sitting back too much in relation to where my arms were.

Such a simple fix and a reminder of the challenges of not having savvy eyes watching (coach or partner) that can queue you if you train alone.

Thanks all for the input. Really impressed with the forums and quality of information and helpfulness here.

Im just barely past that point in hlr and my issue was not getting the tilt from the hip( tuck tail under ) now I'm almost toes to bar.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom