all posts post new thread

Bodyweight L5 S1 lumbar fusion 5 weeks ago

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dobie

Level 5 Valued Member
Was hoping someone might have experience working with lumbar fusion patients. Was looking for any advice. I won't be able to do much until 3 months-about another 7 weeks before my surgeon will give medical go ahead.
Thanks so much,
Brian

Please ask again when you are cleared by your doctor and physical therapist. Ask them for what restrictions you should place on your exercise, and we will go from there.

-S-

Hi, I was cleared for physical therapy 2 weeks ago from my lumbar fusion. I have been doing dead bugs and glute bridge. Still have nerve pain down leg from surgery. I'm in Minnesota.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Still have nerve pain down leg from surgery.
This needs to be resolved before you exercise. I don't want to get into your entire medical history, but if the pain is new post-surgery, please see your doctor immediately. If the pain is the same that existed pre-surgery, then you need to find out when you should expect it to go away, and you also need to sort out if the movements you've been doing are making your condition worse and not better.

-S-

I have worked with lumbar fusion patients who still have pain after surgery and I can tell you that many of their pain syndromes are typically complex and they need face to face intervention with a medical professional. Best of luck!

Thanks. I agree, in person works best. I was told that some pain with physical therapy is expected and that you should push through some of this within reason and that not doing anything is worse. Most of the increased pain is noticed later on that day- not while I'm performing exercises. The nerve gets fired up a bit from being stretched a little. This is what my surgeons office told me. This is almost opposite of someone who hasn't had a big surgery like this. I had nerve leg pain prior to surgery as well. It could take a while to fully resolve- a year sometimes. It's hard to find a good therapist. Thanks again

@dobie, while your physical therapist and surgeon are correct, they can better differentiate normal post surgical pain vs potentially problematic pain then we can online. The last thing we want is to give you any advice that aggravates your condition.

Regards,

Rich

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom