all posts post new thread

Barbell labral tear in shoulder...safe to deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SethRen

Level 4 Valued Member
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on deadlifting with a torn labrum. It doesn't seem to hurt when I do.

I've had two torn labrum's. Right one repaired. Left one... dealing with.
I don't deadlift mind you.

Might be a good question for a sports medicine doctor or orthopedic surgeon who deals with athletes...

I've had two torn labrum's. Right one repaired. Left one... dealing with.
I don't deadlift mind you.

Might be a good question for a sports medicine doctor or orthopedic surgeon who deals with athletes...
How's the left tear doing? You making any progress?

I don't know if 'progress' is the right term. I am not regressing, that is for sure.
I have to keep a very diligent awareness in all training and activities that involve my shoulders.

If you are already doing it and it doesn't hurt then it's likely not a problem. The shoulder joint doesn't really move much during a DL, and issues with the labrum tend to happen when the shoulder is moving / rotating and catches the torn part. The labrum can tear in a variety of places, so each one is "case by case" as to what the person can do pain-free as opposed to what aggravates it.

I have had what is most likely a small tear in my R labrum for ~15 years (fell onto an out-stretched arm) and for me I can do almost everything just fine including overhead lifting, but both bench presses and bent presses tend to irritate it so I avoid both of those. Other people might have different experiences based in their individual circumstances.

I couldn't agree more. Ask a doc, in person. There are many intelligent people on this forum, but medical advice via the internet is probably irresponsible.

If you are already doing it and it doesn't hurt then it's likely not a problem. The shoulder joint doesn't really move much during a DL, and issues with the labrum tend to happen when the shoulder is moving / rotating and catches the torn part. The labrum can tear in a variety of places, so each one is "case by case" as to what the person can do pain-free as opposed to what aggravates it.

I have had what is most likely a small tear in my R labrum for ~15 years (fell onto an out-stretched arm) and for me I can do almost everything just fine including overhead lifting, but both bench presses and bent presses tend to irritate it so I avoid both of those. Other people might have different experiences based in their individual circumstances.

I'm continuing with my DDD. MRI on the 27th. praying it isn't another tear, but pretty sure it is

I've got one diagnosed on my "good" shoulder and I'm pretty sure the worse shoulder has one, and that it's worse. My personal take on mine is that making sure my shoulders and packed and my lats very active means my shoulders feel just fine when I deadlift. My guess - only a guess - is that your doctor will tell you that, so long as it feels OK, it is.

Steve "doctor, but not that kind" Freides

I've got one diagnosed on my "good" shoulder and I'm pretty sure the worse shoulder has one, and that it's worse. My personal take on mine is that making sure my shoulders and packed and my lats very active means my shoulders feel just fine when I deadlift. My guess - only a guess - is that your doctor will tell you that, so long as it feels OK, it is.

Steve "doctor, but not that kind" Freides
It sucks getting old Steve : )

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom