Lack of Pelvic Movement

banzaiengr

Quadruple-Digit Post Count
I've had a bit of pain of late. It started with tightness in the hamstrings. Over time this grew into hip pain and then pain across the lower back. Generally this pain whether all or just one area occurred after sitting or when getting out of bed in the morning and trying to stand.

First thought was that it was piriformis issues. I spoke with a local trainer who believed that also. Later when visiting the Physical Therapist I see for a heel injury I spoke to him about it. I had spoke to him earlier when it was just hamstring and hip pain. He checked my hinge and back squat and stated, "your pelvis doesn't move dude". He then investigated and found extreme tightness around my tail bone. He gave me a couple stretches to do. I see him again next Tues.

Anyone else have this problem? What did you do to correct it? How long did it take to see improvement? Thanks in advance.

Steve Freides

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Senior Certified Instructor
@banzaiengr, I have read that a properly performed deep squat, bodyweight only, can reset the sacrum's alignment. I can't say if this is true or not because, although I'm a doctor, I'm not that kind of doctor :) but if you can learn to use the goblet squat for this, your body will be much happier. It can be part of the prying of the prying goblet squat. It is a go-to movement for me daily. (I am fortunate enough to be able to perform it without needing a "goblet" as a counter-balance and thus able to do it anytime, anywhere.) In particular, when my back sometimes goes "out", doing these puts it back "in" much more rapidly than if I don't do them, often a matter of a few days rather than a few weeks.

-S-

banzaiengr

Quadruple-Digit Post Count
@banzaiengr, I have read that a properly performed deep squat, bodyweight only, can reset the sacrum's alignment. I can't say if this is true or not because, although I'm a doctor, I'm not that kind of doctor :) but if you can learn to use the goblet squat for this, your body will be much happier. It can be part of the prying of the prying goblet squat. It is a go-to movement for me daily. (I am fortunate enough to be able to perform it without needing a "goblet" as a counter-balance and thus able to do it anytime, anywhere.) In particular, when my back sometimes goes "out", doing these puts it back "in" much more rapidly than if I don't do them, often a matter of a few days rather than a few weeks.

-S-
Thanks Steve, any type of front squat is what I've been doing for sometime. The goblet is a great squat. Will probably be my squat of choice for a time. Whatever the issue is, the PT has found it is something with my spine causing tightness in the glutes.

Steve Freides

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Senior Certified Instructor
Very good. The important point here is to focus not on any specific weight but the prying aspect, with a focus on prying the bottom of your spine. Just wanted to be sure that was clear.

In this case, if my understanding is correct, you will want to simultaneously push your elbows out against the inside of your knees while trying to get your hips deeper and deeper, all without rounding your spine - the goal is to lengthen your spine.

Best of luck to you.

-S-

Top Bottom