all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Ladders Question - Can I do all the ladders of one exercise then do the next, rather than rotate?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NonStop

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi there,

I understand the reasoning of picking typically picking 2 exercises for ladders and going back and forth between them (1 rep of each, then 2 reps of each etc) . This way one exercise doesn't burn you out before the other.

However, I would like to concentrate on one exercise over the other, but with the second exercise do far less volume. In my case on my upper body days I'm doing chins and dips. So one workout would be chin-up ladders done to near 'max', followed by dip ladders but only consisting of 50%-75% volume of the previous time I took them to 'max'. Next time I'd do dips first taken to near max, then chins for 50%-75% of the previous time I did them.

Alternatively I could stick to heavy/lighter/medium days overall but just do both exercises seperately. However I feel that the fatigue from focusing on one exercise first would influence how much volume I could do with the second exercise (hence I'm think focusing on one over the other than rotating exercise order around).

Is this possible? I understand I'd have to schedule in regular deloading across the board as I wouldn't be having fully light days, but I'd like to give it a shot for a while. I remember asking this kind of question 6 years ago (!) back on dragondoor and Steve Freides at the time and he said treating the exercises seperately is an option; Three Questions about Pull-Up Ladders in ETK (Pavel, RKC's?)

Let me know what you people think!

Last edited:
Try it for yourself!
There is nothing that says you have to superset exercises in ladder format... Your plan sounds good, try it out and adjust as needed!
The only thing I can think of that for me would be a deal breaker with this is the time it takes to finish two different rounds of ladders... depends on the volume really, but ladders tend to take some time

Deloading is basically listening to your body, just don't be afraid to skip a workout if it feels right, or deload for a whole week if you feel like you are regressing... If you follow a flexible ladder format where you go to almost max (versus a set number of rungs/reps) then that has feedback built in already and self-adjusts to your day-form!
Just don't make the mistake of thinking you have to add reps/rungs every workout (or every week or every anything for that matter), stick to "2 reps short of max" for each day even if that might be less than the day before

As usual, I am not an expert, but don't make this too complicated

Try it for yourself!
There is nothing that says you have to superset exercises in ladder format... Your plan sounds good, try it out and adjust as needed!
The only thing I can think of that for me would be a deal breaker with this is the time it takes to finish two different rounds of ladders... depends on the volume really, but ladders tend to take some time

Deloading is basically listening to your body, just don't be afraid to skip a workout if it feels right, or deload for a whole week if you feel like you are regressing... If you follow a flexible ladder format where you go to almost max (versus a set number of rungs/reps) then that has feedback built in already and self-adjusts to your day-form!
Just don't make the mistake of thinking you have to add reps/rungs every workout (or every week or every anything for that matter), stick to "2 reps short of max" for each day even if that might be less than the day before

As usual, I am not an expert, but don't make this too complicated

Hello, thank you, yeah so far its been going well, I agree about time normally but my rest is only 45secs on 2, 3, 5 ladders, and 60secs (max 90secs) on 2, 3, 5, 10 ladders. Other day I managed to do 10x2,3,5 on neutral chins with 45secs rest the whole way. Next goal is to hit 5x2,3,5,10 with 1min rest (maybe 90secs at top of each ladder). Going to be deloading really soon though!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom