all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Ladders Reloaded

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I got the Milo Kindle issue of this.

How would I apply this Ladders Reloaded to my kb Press. My max 1rm right now is a 32kg?

@Pavel could you PM me I got a bit lost on the math.

This was an inspiring story to say the least. I was so intrigued that I decided I will try this as well. Bought the kindle article, read it and then tested my 1 RM with a 32kg (70lbs) kettlebell and managed to grind out one rep at a BW of 75kg (165lbs). So I will use 107kg (235lbs) as my starting point and work with 7,5kg added weight. Will go for 500 reps per month split over 6 days of training per week and waved as suggested in the article.

I am a bit confounded though as how to plan the reps in a given session. The article stipulates that 3 reps per set at the 71-80% of 1RM is the optimal rep range, but how does that relate to ladders? Can I do 1, microbreak, 2, microbreak, 3, microbreak as one ladder? On a day with 12 reps I would then just do 2 ladders with ample rest time in between, and on a day calling for 30 I would do 5 ladders? Pete, how did you organize your "everyday" reps?

cheers
Marty

If memory serves, 400 presses per month is about the most that's recommended.

-S-

OK, I think the article mentioned 300-500 reps per month. But if 400 is a recomended max I will scale down according to the collective wisdom. Also I will apply it to weighted pull ups. Still a bit unsure of how to organize the reps in a given session? The article said 3 reps per set as an optimal number. Not sure if a simple ladder with 3 rungs will be in compliance with that recomendation or not? Or if I should just go with 1 set of 3, then rest for 5 mins and repeat until the given number for the day is reached?

cheers
Marty

Just read the article again - the guidance is sound. 300-500 or 400 - it's all good. I will have to find my copy here again - I don't recall exactly what was in it, and since I attended PlanStrong, I received a much more detailed explanation of the principles and practices.

-S-

Thanks Steve, I will pour over the article again, but I lean towards just going for standard sets of 3. Some days will call for 10 set but then I will just split them into two sessions. I guess thats the luxury of having a lot of spare time on your hands.

cheers
Marty

Mike and Marty,

I feel your pain in trying to implement Ladders Reloaded. As you know, Pavel is a minimalist, both in prescribing minimal exercise to get the job done and using words to describe how to do it. After about 20 rereads of the article, I finally sat down to write our a methodology to implement it, at least in how I understand it. As in all mathematical word problems, the arithmetic is really quite basic; it is the set up of the problem that is a challenge. To avoid cluttering the thread with a lot of verbiage, I am attaching a file with the methodology I used.

Mike,

I used your original request for how to do a 32 kg max press with Ladders Reloaded. I hope it helps.

Marty,

You are close to solving this but bear in mind that this is called Ladders Reloaded; therefore, you need to build ladders and not standard sets of 3. Whether you build 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 rung ladders with high or low reps, is a personal choice. I respond well to shorter ladders with fewer rungs but done multiple times. When younger I use to do 7,8.and 9 rung ladders done multiple times. You may do better with longer ones not repeated. I hope I help with my methodology. You really start learning the system by actually getting dirty and building the plan. I did the first 2 iterations by adopting the illustrative plan in the article. Now I feel I can do my own plan as well.

Good luck to you both.

Pete

Attachments

• Suggested Methodology for Ladders Reloaded.pdf
    64.6 KB · Views: 208
Marty,

I forgot to address your concern about time between rungs. When Pavel originally described ladders, he said that it was usually done with (a) partner(s). You would execute a pull-up, then your partner(s), then you would move on to the next rung, then your partner(s), and so forth. When working alone, estimate the time it would take an imaginary partner to execute his rung, then you would continue. I workout with an imaginary partner named Hugo. I go, then "You go, Hugo!" Luckily on days when I am moving slow and am desirous of more time between rungs, Hugo is going even slower. I think a longer break between ladders is appropriate. After completing a 3-5 rung ladder, I will rest about 5 minutes before repeating or going to the next one.

Pete

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom