all posts post new thread

Nutrition Ladies, how much do you eat?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

elli

Level 10 Valued Member
Hi Ladies (and gents, if you want to contribute to this thread),

how much do you eat? I think my portions are bigger than those of my boyfriend...??
What is your kcal intake? Do youcount them at all? Do you measure any circumferences?Or bodyfat?
I would like some input :)

I don't count kcal intake. I just never have felt that it's a meaningful measure for me. My overall trends and habits over weeks or months seem to be what makes my weight go up or down. Mostly I'd say that I eat a lot, but I try to make it "a lot of veggies" and be reasonable with everything else. Although I do struggle with weight overall, generally food and I have a good relationship and I try to keep it that way. I get on the scale first thing every morning and keep track of it in my training log. That way it's one piece of the overall puzzle and I can consider it in context with everything else. I also measure waist/hip/leg circumferences once a month or so, and get my bodyfat measured in the "Bod Pod" a couple of times per year. The best measure of where I am seems to be how my clothes fit. You know, those few magic items of clothing that you keep around just to check?..."If this fits me, I'm where I want to be."

How about you? Does your food support your activity and life? Maybe you are more active than your boyfriend... :)

Yes, I am more active.
Yes, my food supports my activities. I am not sure if less would be enough. I do not want to lose weight, rather add musles or become stronger, so to say.
I have a part in my brain, which still wants to count calories, but it does not stop me eating :)/:(
As long as my clothes fit, okay. Of course vanity plays a role, for whom not? Just a few, I guess.
I tend to overthink the whole food thing, which might have its reasons in my childhood. So reading howother women deal with this whole stuff.

We all have our own biological needs. My good friend Paul is a skinny feller but when he wants to, he can just put it away like you wouldn't believe.

His day to day eating is pretty much bird feed, though, and his girlfriend's portions are bigger than his.

That really doesn't mean jack.

Appetite is regulated by the interplay of various brain regions and hormones.

Just eat when you're hungry and stop when you're satisfied. You'll be good.

Rav.

I tend to overthink the whole food thing

Yes, this is common, especially among women. My error is probably in the other direction! I tend to underthink it.

Just eat when you're hungry and stop when you're satisfied.

The success of this depends on what sort of "satisfied" one in aiming for. You probably mean simple satisfaction of hunger, but many are trying to satisfy boredom, discomfort, the need to efficiently feed one's family and not have food go to waste, the need to comply with childhood programming of cleaning the plate... etc. This can complicate things.

Yes, this is common, especially among women. My error is probably in the other direction! I tend to underthink it.

The success of this depends on what sort of "satisfied" one in aiming for. You probably mean simple satisfaction of hunger, but many are trying to satisfy boredom, discomfort, the need to efficiently feed one's family and not have food go to waste, the need to comply with childhood programming of cleaning the plate... etc. This can complicate things.

I see your point.

Best way to conceptualise what I'm personally saying - just eat to biological need.

Unless there is emotional trauma and other such blocking factors, I think such an approach is sufficient.

Just my personal viewpoint.

R.

@Elemental, the unmentioned variable here is habit. Not only can we become habituated to eating more food than we need, we also become habituated to thinking we are eating what we need and not what we want.

In my experience, eating habits take a while to change, and one should expect to be uncomfortable until the habit is changed, and then expect to need to be vigilant about it thereafter. Weeks, maybe months are necessary for many people, and those weeks and months aren't fun, but they're the price you pay for getting used to something new that you know is going to be better for you.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

@Elemental, the unmentioned variable here is habit. Not only can we become habituated to eating more food than we need, we also become habituated to thinking we are eating what we need and not what we want.

In my experience, eating habits take a while to change, and one should expect to be uncomfortable until the habit is changed, and then expect to need to be vigilant about it thereafter. Weeks, maybe months are necessary for many people, and those weeks and months aren't fun, but they're the price you pay for getting used to something new that you know is going to be better for you.

JMO, YMMV.

-S-

That is very true Steve. I do of course completely agree.

R.

"My Fitness Pal" was helpful to me. I was eating fine in terms of generally eating healthy. Using the app showed me that (1) my postworkout meal could and probably should be bigger than it was, and (2) the price (in both calories and carbs) for having the complimentary chips before the fajitas - in short, there's a ton of both in that bowl! Even if you're not counting per se, having an idea of what you're eating reminds you to think about your choices, and to Steve's point, where some small habit changes can make a big difference.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom