all posts post new thread

Barbell landmine press vs bench press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

stork

Level 1 Valued Member
Thinking of trying PTTP again. I have no bench or spotter, hence unable to do bench press. Also have a low ceiling, making side press difficult. I understand that a simple overhead press might not be enough, i.e not enough muscles recruited. Would the landmine press work? I envisioned one hand as opposed to two.

"Simple overhead press?" Is that some variation of the regular overhead press? In my book the OHP is about the best press one can do and definitely uses the whole body.

Never been a huge bench press fan, BUT even without a spotter you could do it. You just have to progress using a double/triple progression. For example:
You achieve 3x5, so next time you go for 3x8-10, then maybe add another rep progression and go for 3x12. THEN drop back to 3x5 with a heavier weight.

The increased weight wont seem as daunting after all those higher rep sets. Start the process over and go from there.

However, the landmine press is great. Have you go the proper bracket to house the end of the BB or are you going to try and weight it down in a corner?

Richard

Half Kneeling One Arm Landmine Press is one of my favorite exercises. When I was Benching regularly rep sets at 315lbs, and testing way above, it was a staple lift of mine. I did it on an Overhead Press day after my main lift for higher reps.

"Simple overhead press?" Is that some variation of the regular overhead press? In my book the OHP is about the best press one can do and definitely uses the whole body.
I agree. I was referring to an overhead barbell or dumbbell press. However, I had the impression from Pavel that the side or bench presses were preferred for PTTP, perhaps because of more muscles being involved, & that the overhead press required a higher volume for progression. PTTP would be 50 presses per week.

Never been a huge bench press fan, BUT even without a spotter you could do it. You just have to progress using a double/triple progression. For example:
You achieve 3x5, so next time you go for 3x8-10, then maybe add another rep progression and go for 3x12. THEN drop back to 3x5 with a heavier weight.

The increased weight wont seem as daunting after all those higher rep sets. Start the process over and go from there.

However, the landmine press is great. Have you go the proper bracket to house the end of the BB or are you going to try and weight it down in a corner?

Richard
My "landmine" would be a shoe in the corner.

I agree. I was referring to an overhead barbell or dumbbell press. However, I had the impression from Pavel that the side or bench presses were preferred for PTTP, perhaps because of more muscles being involved, & that the overhead press required a higher volume for progression. PTTP would be 50 presses per week.

The way I understood PTTP was that the floor or the side press were the original recommendations partly because they needed no rack, bench or clean. I suppose some may also see the OHP technically more demanding than the side press or the floor press.

@stork, I'm guessing that you are speaking of barbell only. In that case I would go with a seated behind the neck press. When seated I like the behind the neck press because one doesn't hyper-flex their spin like when doing the front press.

Otherwise I would use Geoff's advice and use the kneeling landmine. Although you may see that finding a place to do landmines is difficult too.

Otherwise I would go with dumbbells. Problem solved...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom