all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Today’s practice: 10/18/21
BU TGU, 1/6 @ 26#
Serious endurance w3d2; 28 minutes of 7 snatches on the minute @26#
Felt a little off, perhaps the later evening session. Got it done.

Today is an off day. However, being exactly half way through a program has me wanting to plan out the next one. My thought right now is that my race is shot and the best I’m going to pull off at this point is the 10k. So, why not be a meathead and do a double kb pressing focused program. Looking for suggestions, a lot if them are paired with squats which i obviously can’t do. I’m thinking of taking a week to play around with stuff once I’m done with this ciampa program, and just continue some a+a stuff a couple of days per week. Thoughts, suggestions? I also have zero pairs of bells, I have; 16, 20, 24, 32, and 40k bells. I also have the adjustable bell I’ve been using. Short term goal for that is to get enough plates to make it a 24k. I don’t have a problem doing offset work, just laying it all out there.

Today is an off day. However, being exactly half way through a program has me wanting to plan out the next one. My thought right now is that my race is shot and the best I’m going to pull off at this point is the 10k. So, why not be a meathead and do a double kb pressing focused program. Looking for suggestions, a lot if them are paired with squats which i obviously can’t do. I’m thinking of taking a week to play around with stuff once I’m done with this ciampa program, and just continue some a+a stuff a couple of days per week. Thoughts, suggestions? I also have zero pairs of bells, I have; 16, 20, 24, 32, and 40k bells. I also have the adjustable bell I’ve been using. Short term goal for that is to get enough plates to make it a 24k. I don’t have a problem doing offset work, just laying it all out there.
Be careful with dbl OH pressing off knees Larry, not being able to armor yourself normally with tension you may be safer sticking to 1 hand pressing. I'm the DFYU guy and always looking out for injury prevention.

I have a lot of Geoff Neupert material, one exercise he recommends is seated 1 hand pressing. Sit on the floor with your legs spread in a V and press a light kb, It works the press and really bulletproofs the mid section, if you try it you'll see what I mean. I don't think it's a 'main dish' movement, rather a pressing adjunct. It's really effective, doing bottoms up would be more so I believe.

Can you do ROP with pullups? I've gone through it a couple times, it's a very solid program IMHO. A+A requires a heavier load to work than you can handle now I think, at least in a traditional sense. That's where I'm at with the shoulder, until it's stronger I'm limited in what I can do.. sucks but we have no choice other than rehab.

Be careful with dbl OH pressing off knees Larry, not being able to armor yourself normally with tension you may be safer sticking to 1 hand pressing. I'm the DFYU guy and always looking out for injury prevention.

I have a lot of Geoff Neupert material, one exercise he recommends is seated 1 hand pressing. Sit on the floor with your legs spread in a V and press a light kb, It works the press and really bulletproofs the mid section, if you try it you'll see what I mean. I don't think it's a 'main dish' movement, rather a pressing adjunct. It's really effective, doing bottoms up would be more so I believe.

Can you do ROP with pullups? I've gone through it a couple times, it's a very solid program IMHO. A+A requires a heavier load to work than you can handle now I think, at least in a traditional sense. That's where I'm at with the shoulder, until it's stronger I'm limited in what I can do.. sucks but we have no choice other than rehab.
That’s a good point about the knee pressure. Would not have thought of that. ROP is something that i have been considering as well. My pull-ups are one of my biggest weaknesses, I could certainly do ROP and modified low rep pullups. I’ve used bands to assist before as well. I think that could work, do press and pullups on one day, and continue the a+a snatches twice a week. Any recommendations as to how i would/should calibrate what bell i should use for that from kneeling? I feel as though i could start to do half kneeling work as well, but that could just cause more pressure on one knee? Idk

I truly appreciate all of your advice as well. Reading @WhatWouldHulkDo log yesterday and him giving you props made me realize how lucky I am to have you and @blutsj following me. We’ll save the double work for when my foot is better. Been sitting on kettlebell burn 2.0 for a while now. Plan on getting cut!

Today’s practice: 10/20/21
Serious endurance w3d3:
1/3 bu, tgu @26# in the am.
36 minute EMOM of 7 kneeling suitcase snatches @26# in the pm. Started to get cocky about half way through and started going for overspeed eccentrics. I couldn’t keep up with it for long though tbh. Feeling a bit sore now, was good to make me take it serious and be intentional though.

Last edited:
That’s a good point about the knee pressure. Would not have thought of that. ROP is something that i have been considering as well. My pull-ups are one of my biggest weaknesses, I could certainly do ROP and modified low rep pullups. I’ve used bands to assist before as well. I think that could work, do press and pullups on one day, and continue the a+a snatches twice a week. Any recommendations as to how i would/should calibrate what bell i should use for that from kneeling? I feel as though i could start to do half kneeling work as well, but that could just cause more pressure on one knee? Idk

I truly appreciate all of your advice as well. Reading @WhatWouldHulkDo log yesterday and him giving you props made me realize how lucky I am to have you and @blutsj following me. We’ll save the double work for when my foot is better. Been sitting on kettlebell burn 2.0 for a while now. Plan on getting cut!
Thank you for the props Larry, please keep in mind I'm not a formally educated trainer, I'm self educated for the most part, so take my advice with caution. My body of experience has been my own 'on the ground' training since 18 yo, so experience, reading and experimentation is how I do it.. And of course, standing on the shoulders of giants like Al Ciampa certainly doesn't hurt things haha.

Re double overhead pressing I was mostly concerned with how you would protect yourself from injury to your back, neck or midsection. Not being able to flex quads and glutes properly I think is a slippery slope when it comes to pushing some heavier weight, especially doubles. Doubles work tends to have its own set of rules and Heavy weight shows no mercy. The knees are always a concern, though I do think there are good ways to use padding to mitigate any potential damage. I stopped doing the windshield wiper move some years ago while doing getups due to knee irritation. Once you get a stinger in there, it's a long road to escape that feeling, and believe me it's not a good one. Any time I do getups now I always used to step over move.

As always I say, start out lighter and let your body tell you what load to use, you can always make things harder, that's the easy part. In my mind, the hard part is getting it all to gel together where you're thriving and not in danger of injury or burnout. I've learned there's no need to get toes right up to the line when going about training. Staying excited, healthy, happy and hungry for more is the best way to train and live IMHO.

We can talk more specifically about what you are planning but I just wanted to give you an overview of my thought process when it comes to training and rehabilitation.

Appreciate it @Bret S., I get that you aren’t a pro trainer. Your style and approach to training is similar to my own, which is why i instantly was drawn to your log. The way you train and have developed yourself is similar to how i see myself training and developing. I’m not a blue collar worker any more, but i used to be (and always will be), teaching is quite blue collar just less physical.
I read over the back end of ETK last night, makes total sense, and it’s what i was considering before starting the Ciampa program. Plan is to practice/ test my 5-8 rep CP from kneeling (i honestly feel as though I’ll be able to pull of 20 or 24k), and start to toy around with half kneeling. This can concentrate pressure on my knees (will use foam) but could protect my low back.

Last edited:
Appreciate it @Bret S., I get that you aren’t a pro trainer. Your style and approach to training is similar to my own, which is why i instantly was drawn to your log. The way you train and have developed yourself is similar to how i see myself training and developing. I’m not a blue collar worker any more, but i used to be (and always will be), teaching is quite blue collar just less physical.
I read over the back end of ETK last night, makes total sense, and it’s what i was considering before starting the Ciampa program. Plan is to practice/ test my 5-8 rep CP (i honestly feel as though I’ll from kneeling, and start to toy around with half kneeling. This can concentrate pressure on my knees (will use foam) but could protect my low back.
Excellent Larry, please keep me posted on progress etc. Feel free to PM me if desired, I think what you're doing is great, and it'll reeeeaaally help with the injury blues.

Today’s practice: 10/22/21
Serious endurance w3d4
BU TGU, 3 each side
Followed by 7 kneeling suitcase snatches EMOM for 22 minutes.
I was still feeling the longer session from Wednesday even after the off day. Felt good though. Was thinking about how efficient my upper body technique has become in isolation, so i started thinking more about my glutes and trying to keep my core/back perfectly stable. I will be excited to see how all of this carries over.

I will be excited to see how all of this carries over.
Me too man! This could take your regular snatching to the next level. I'm glad to see it when people have the balls to try something new in the face of real difficulty.. well done sir!

Me too man! This could take your regular snatching to the next level. I'm glad to see it when people have the balls to try something new in the face of real difficulty.. well done sir!
Thank you. I’m in a class right now that’s all about making modifications for students with disabilities in a PE setting, so this feels obvious.
The obstacle is the way.

Today’s practice: 10/24/21
Warm up; 2 BU TGU 2 each side @26#
Serious endurance w4d1:
7 kneeling suitcase snatches @26# EMOM for 36 minutes. Was a bit of a tough one in the later rounds. Maybe thinking/focusing on too many cues at the end and just tried to go zen and knock it out.
Also busted out some gtg pullups throughout the day. Trying to mentally and physically prepare for kneeling rop.

Today’s practice: 10/24/21
Warm up; 2 BU TGU 2 each side @26#
Serious endurance w4d1:
7 kneeling suitcase snatches @26# EMOM for 36 minutes. Was a bit of a tough one in the later rounds. Maybe thinking/focusing on too many cues at the end and just tried to go zen and knock it out.
Also busted out some gtg pullups throughout the day. Trying to mentally and physically prepare for kneeling rop.
How does the serieus endurance program feel. Was thinking of starting it too. (But not the kneeling snatch, doubt I will be able to do them).

Do you notice any difference, doing them kneeled?

How does the serieus endurance program feel. Was thinking of starting it too. (But not the kneeling snatch, doubt I will be able to do them).

Do you notice any difference, doing them kneeled?
I would never really recommend this movement kneeling. Just a means to an end for me. I think serious endurance is awesome though. I’d love to run through it again in the future with a much heavier weight (and standing). I think you could do it with any movement as long as you get the rest to work ratios dialed in.
Things ive noticed kneeling is; getting my arm path and efficiency dialed in, breath work dialed in, starting to get more glute activation as well. Overall i think it’s just about being mindful in your practice and always looking to improve.

I would never really recommend this movement kneeling. Just a means to an end for me. I think serious endurance is awesome though. I’d love to run through it again in the future with a much heavier weight (and standing). I think you could do it with any movement as long as you get the rest to work ratios dialed in.
Things ive noticed kneeling is; getting my arm path and efficiency dialed in, breath work dialed in, starting to get more glute activation as well. Overall i think it’s just about being mindful in your practice and always looking to improve.
Thanks for your reply

today’s practice: 10/26/21
Was supposed to train yesterday, but these longer sessions have been taking their toll. Felt off last night so decided to wait. Glad i dod because today’s session went pretty well!

Serious endurance w4d2:
7 kneeling suitcase snatches @26# EMOM for 42 minutes.
Warmed up throughout the day with my pe students playing with our exercise and yoga die. Bringing die variability to the classroom.

Was supposed to train yesterday, but these longer sessions have been taking their toll. Felt off last night so decided to wait. Glad i dod because today’s session went pretty well!
I'm a big believer in saving up some recovery cash to invest in healing, It's good you listen to the machine, especially when re-habbing or healing an injury.

I'm a big believer in saving up some recovery cash to invest in healing, It's good you listen to the machine, especially when re-habbing or healing an injury.
Most important thing to listen to your body, instead of being a slave to the calender (so no, it is wednessday, I have to train, while your body screams REST)

I may have been more guilty of this in the past. I like to look at programs as a constant now. It’s just an order of operations. Nothing gets skipped, just moved. I really appreciated soju and tubas approach/philosophy to it.

Back
Top Bottom