all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Today’s practice: 11/30/21
ROP medium day; 5(1,2). Pull-ups to go with em’.
Now that I’ve recalibrated these lighter days are pretty easy. Finished off with a quick 2HS session, 5 swings every :30 for 5 min. Was planning on doing 10 but this was honestly harder than I anticipated. Going to start working these in more, they felt extremely powerful and i think that’s what took it out of me. Going to be really cramming in some sessions n the next few days in preparation for traveling to Memphis for my wife’s marathon (that i was also supposed to run…). Should still be fun though, maybe I’ll find a gym i can drop into or something, or a local outdoor gym in a park. This is one of the places we potentially want to move to one day.

Today’s practice: 12/2/21
Made it to Memphis, walked around downtown and up and down Beale street. Saw some cool blues shows, walked into a particular dive and watched a guy play the steel slide guitar. Got to sit down and talk with him for some time after, fun stuff. @Bret S., i also read most of “perfecting the press” on the plane, I’m excited to put it to use. I’m thinking of doing gtg hindu squats/pushups for the day. Maybe grind out a few pistols and elevated OAPU to alleviate my not racing blues.

Last edited:
Today’s practice: 12/2/21
Made it to Memphis, walked around downtown and up and down Beale street. Saw some cool blues shows, walked into a particular dive and watched a guy play the steel slide guitar. Got to sit down and talk with him for some time after, fun stuff. @Bret S., i also read most of “perfecting the press” on the plane, I’m excited to put it to use. I’m thinking of doing gtg hindu squats/pushups for the day. Maybe grind out a few pistols and elevated OAPU to alleviate my not racing blues.
Very cool!
When growing up in Chicago's south side we used to drop in on Buddy Guy's Legends once in awhile, my brother sat at the bar and shot the bull with Buddy one time, just a really cool Guy haha

Lol, nice! I was lucky enough to have parents that took me to concerts. I’ve seen Buddy and BB king play together multiple times, once at the Fox Theatre in Detroit that I’ll never forget.

I saw Buddy twice here in San Diego, once with BB King before he passed. BB had a Huge band with tons of horns and such.. glad you got to see him, legends like him don't come around often.

First date ever with my wife was to summerfest in Milwaukee. I paid my admission in spare change that i gathered from my apartment that morning, and then ditched her because everyone else wanted to see umphrey’s mcgee (great band), but BB was playing at the same time and i knew that you never pass that up. I still have a gold dollar that he threw off stage that day.

Didn’t race, but i walked the first two miles of the 5k and even jogged out the last mile. Then i explored around Memphis and the Mississippi ad my wife ran the marathon. I walked more than ten miles when everything was all said and done. Once i got to the finish area to wait/cheer i started busting out some gtg pistol squats and assisted OAPU on a cement barricade.

Didn’t race, but i walked the first two miles of the 5k and even jogged out the last mile. Then i explored around Memphis and the Mississippi ad my wife ran the marathon. I walked more than ten miles when everything was all said and done. Once i got to the finish area to wait/cheer i started busting out some gtg pistol squats and assisted OAPU on a cement barricade.
Great Larry! :D

I finished “perfecting the press” on the flight home, and thank you for the recommendation Bret. Fantastic book that goes hand in hand with ROP.

Today’s Practice: 12/6/21
ROP light day; 5x(1,2) c&p @55#. Pullups to go with em’.
Got asked to sub in a class this afternoon and couldn’t get my lunch lift in. So i ran home on my lunch grabbed my bell and walked the few blocks back with it and carried it up the 4 flights of stairs to my gym/fitness room. Once most of the kids were gone from my after school program i busted out my bell and got a quick session in. This environment is much more conducive to filming so i took advantage. Would love some feedback.

1st rung of 1st ladder
2nd rung of 1st ladder
1st rung of 5th ladder
Pull up, plus 2nd rung of 5th ladder
Have never filmed my pullups before. This is not my favorite bar, mine is taller at home and in the middle with no walls near.

Hi Larry,

No SFG, but here is what I noticed:
- The bell seems to go up fast!
- You appear to bring your shoulder up before casting the bell downinto the hinge. Perhaps lean back a bit first, lead with your elbow, keeping your tricep and lat connected. I believe the queue is "squeeze a tennis ball in your armpit ".
- You're doing great on the RoP!

Jon

@LarryB

Cueing too many things at once is a common pitfall with SF because people get really into the "stay tight hardstyle" mindset and try too hard initially. They wind being stiff instead of well-connected.

Start big with stuff like hinge pattern depth, arm to body weld on the down portion, staying tight in the shoulder socket. A lot of smaller issues disappear when the bigger stuff gets dialed in.

Doing great!

Thank you, i agree. I have been trying to dial things in and losing a little something with the basics. Especially on my right side where i can muscle it up more.

Larry, doing well on the ROP, some minor tweaks needed as Jon and Martin mentioned. Keep practicing basics and you'll be fine I think. Your shoulder mobility at the top is very good!

Snatching is a different animal, first off I would slow down and pause at the top of each rep, that will help you get reset.
Some things to work on:
1 - More tension is needed overall.
2 - Hinge is too shallow, you're leading with the shoulder and muscling the bell up as a result.
3 - Keep the shoulder packed down with the snatching arm straight and pinned to the torso as you hinge back. Keep the arm in that position until you're mostly out of the hinge, then drive up with legs and 'pull the cord' keeping the bell close to your body, the bell will fly up and you'll have to catch it at the top. You'll be amazed at the difference when you hit the sequence right. You're doing a good job of yanking the handle down from the top.

Overall you're doing great, snatching takes a lot of practice. Thinking of each rep as a practice in itself goes a long way toward getting better. Try some dead stop snatching, it's harder and really helps with the things I mentioned above. Slow things down and stay calm and focused, it's a joy to practice that way, kind of a Zen experience.

Back
Top Bottom