all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Today’s practice:
Mother’s day! Wife went for a 12 miler with her crew and i went out for a 7 mile fartlek run after. Kept it slow and steady with short bursts of max effort sprints. Went to one of my facorite spots on the lake where there is a huge sea wall made out of old broken up concrete. Ran across it all (about a mile) very uneven surface and super fun

s&s later in the day:
No wu
Tried 2h swings with the ankle weights strapped on (36k) but made it extra wide. 2h just didn’t feel right today so i went to 1h with the 36, then some doubles swings with the 16+20 (36k). Lost count but felt good.
Finished with a tgu ladder:
L/R@9k bottoms up
L/R@16k, presses
L/R@20k, presses
L/R@24k
L/R@32k
L/R@36k
great session, maybe a little too much overall today, we’ll see how recovery is tomorrow.
6AB835A2-97B4-4D08-8F2C-F94C4A1EAA33.jpeg

Yesterday’s practice, 5/10/21.
gtg pistol squats and assisted (pushing on the seat of a bench) one arm pushups. No idea what the count was. Pistols are such a skill, as is the amazing amount of tension you can creat with the oapu. Love it, but need to wait till marathon training to keep up with this and just do simple for now.

Today’s practice: S&S, faster timeless simple
Quick wu
3x5 gsq@32k
Glute bridges
Swings:
10x10@32k every :45
:45 break
TGU:
5x1 es @32k every :45

Definitely a little harder/glycolytic, but felt pretty good. Swing cadence and efficiency felt on point. Was getting swings done in around 15-20 seconds which is an improvement.

Today’s practice: S&S
Swings:
L/R@32k
2h@32k
L/R@32k
2h@32k
L/R@32k
2h@32kx2
Around 9 minutes
Took a generous break to manage the meal i was cooking
TGU:
5x1 es @28k
Finished in around 23 minutes with swings and get ups all together. Wasn’t totally sure when i started them. Can’t imagine it took me more than 10 minutes though. Overall i think i should have just done straight 2h swings, was not fully recovered.

Quick wu;
3x5 gsq @ 28k
Glute bridges

Swings:
10x10 every :30 @28k
5 minutes total!
TGU:
1x5 L/R @ 28k every minute

Went for the timed session today, was feeling the burn in the glutes and hami’s more than ever in the swings. Put my ankle weights on my 24k and got it up to 62lbs (my 24 & 32k both run heavy; 24-55, 32-75). Was a little big on the swings and slightly off balanced on the get ups. Overall I’m pretty happy with them though. Alliws me to get some minor jumps in weight in days where I don’t feel crisp enough to swing the 75 but dont want the 55.

Today’s practice:
9 1/2 mile LED run. Felt pretty good overall, disappointed that my hr got so high for the second half, oh well. Beautiful day out in waterfall glen forest preserve. Was rainy and green, beautiful.

Today’s practice: S&S+long(ish) bike ride

S&S
10x10@32k timeless/untimed

TGU:
5x1 L/R timeless/untimed

Practiced in the front yard while all the neighborhood kids (including my 3) were running around. Summer is coming!

Bike ride to get second dose of vaccine was 5 miles, however i forgot my bike lock keys and had to turn right around...so my 10 mile round trip turned into 20. Was a beautiful day in Chicago though so i was grateful for it. The breaks in the middle were perfect.

Real weekend warrior kind of weekend. Friday night was timed simple @28k. Saturday was a 9.5 mile run. Sunday morning timeless simple @32k. Sunday afternoon 20 mile ride.

Took my sweet a#@ time, at home alone with kids.

did gsq in about 9:30 @36k (75lb+ankle weights)

Swings:
10x10 @36k (same) in about 14 minutes

1.5 hour break to get kids to sleep.

Tgu:
5x1 L/R @36k x3
75lbx2

Really great session! The 1.5 hour break was interesting. I already had a bit of muscle fatigue from the 1h swings with the 36k and had to turn it back in for the get ups. Great learning session with heavier weight. Can’t wait for my 40k!

Today’s Practice: S&S
3x5 GSQ @75#in 6min
Swings:
2hx10@75# in 10min
TGU:
5/5@75#
tough one, hot n muggy here in chicago. Better get used to it though. Eldest child’s 7th birthday, nice family walk out to pick up dinner and play/picnic at a park.

Yesterday’s practice: 5/21/21
Gtg pistol sq, oapu, tgu with phone on fist, a lot of “play” on the playground and gymnastics with the kids.
3x5 gsq @75#
Swings:
every :45@75# 15 rounds
TGU:
Took my time with these (around 1:30 each rep) 6 reps on each side.
Couple of nice walks with the family.

Yesterday’s practice:5/24/21
movement through play
Playing with all my students at the playground after school. Working in fundamental movements and mixing in some rolls, cartwheels, handstands, etc. Some sets of hindu squats/pushups too.

Had to compress it down due to my hectic life but got it in just before work. Prolly a good thing though since I’m going for timed simple this weekend.

Swings: 2h
6x10 @75# every :45 sec

TGU:
3/3@75# every :45 sec
More “play” and Hindu squats/pushups throughout the day.

Last edited:
This week: lots of gtg mobility and “play”. Trying to deload/peak for timed simple.

Today’s practice: Timed Simple

3x5 gsq@ 75#
10x10 1h swings every :30 seconds
Finished with :15 seconds or so to spare.

5/5 TGU @ 75# about every 1 minute. Finished with almost a minute to spare.
Great session! The swings were a bit tough but I definitely had it in me. Things didn’t get real until the last couple of rounds. Get ups felt super solid, i really dialed in the get up over the past month. I’m have to credit the bjj dvd. Gave to s of good get up advice at the start of this shortened training block. I started S&S in december 2020 with my 16&20k and quickly climbed the ladder. Had to program hop due to lack of bells but rop and q&d really helped overall.

Last edited:
Today’s practice: strength aerobics

playing around and program jumping for the next week or so until marathon training officially starts.

clean/press/squat/snatch/pull up all @75# (except pullup...i wish) 10 rounds

followed by 10 additional rounds w/traveling 2’s (each round 1 move gets 2 reps) 29 minutes total.

2 rounds of 6 snatches @24k just to see how they felt. 24k is starting to feel like a freaking to

Today’s practice: a+a snatches @. 24k
10 reps for 6 rounds L/R
5 reps for 8 rounds
100 reps total

Today’s practice: Kettlebell mile

Results: around 19 minutes (19:17) without breaks or stopping. The first half i walked pretty slow thinking i would take it easy the first time out.... Then my grip started to fail around .5, and i said “WTH was i thinking!?” I then started running. Was pretty pleased with my grip holding up though, was a little scared of the 24k

Yesterday’s practice:
TGU ladder long pauses and shoulder rotations
9k L/R
16k L/R
20k L/R
24k L/R
32k L/R
Played around with some unilateral long push press @24k followed by more of the same with the clean and jerk/ling cycle with the 32. My cleans need work.

Yesterday’s practice: 6/05/21 ROP
Started out the day by busting out the cargo bike and taking the kids to the lake. 6 miles pushing 150#.
ROP@24k
1x(1,2,3,4)
4x(1,2,3)
A+a style snatches x5 reps, 100total (i think..,) in about 10(ish) minutes.
this is where i left ROP 3ish months ago with my medial epicondylitis. It was still tough but i definitely feel stronger. Getting the 32 under control really carries over to the 24k.

Todays practice: 6/6/21
Strength aerobics, clean, press, squat @ 32k, 20 total rounds in 17 min.
4 tgu in 4 min @32k

6/8 practice: mobility and first fay of marathon training.
Easy 3 mile run, took pics for community mapping of physical activity projects.
Yesterday’s practice: 6/9, easy 6.5 mile run with some hill repeats. Picked up the pace a bit. Ran into a friend and went further than planned.

Yesterday’s Practice : 6/10/21. 9.4 mile run slowly ramped up intensity as run went on. Was very hot, hr wasn’t ideal but ok. Took pics for and thought about my community mapping project. Overall pretty good/easy.

Today’s Practice: 6/11/21
TGU @24k w/ presses at every position clean before press in standing (7 presses) 3/3. Took long breaks between these and got dishes done during breaks :42 presses total (efficiency!)

Ballistics:
Clean/high pull/snatch X2 @24k. 8/8 rounds : 96 total ballistics

Back
Top Bottom