all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

That's why I rarely want to run with someone. I run at my pace on my plan, and a lot of people wanna go be jackrabbits.
I'm happy between 12-13 min mi pace, then a short tempo burst at the end if I'm feeling it. The faster I run, the less enjoyable it is.. as Al Ciampa said, the LV can fill and empty fully twice per second, biology does not trump physics. I like the AHR around 115-120 in a run.

I'm happy between 12-13 min mi pace, then a short tempo burst at the end if I'm feeling it. The faster I run, the less enjoyable it is.. as Al Ciampa said, the LV can fill and empty fully twice per second, biology does not trump physics. I like the AHR around 115-120 in a run.
When I started back to running that pace was closer to 20 min ROFL Now a 12 min pace is very comfortable and enjoyable, an 11 min pace is becoming more doable, and soon I'll unlock the secret to the super easy 10 min pace!

I can’t even keep my hr that low no matter what. Feel like I’m still building my aerobic base. I’m seeing improvements, guess thats all i can ask for.

soon I'll unlock the secret to the super easy 10 min pace!
Tell me the secret when it happens.. please :) Course, my wheels are still under construction at a 'more seasoned' age haha

I can’t even keep my hr that low no matter what. Feel like I’m still building my aerobic base. I’m seeing improvements, guess thats all i can ask for.
You run like the wind Larry, and for long distances, then you recover like nothing happened.. so... I would not change a thing iffin I were you :cool:

Not that I'm a great example for anything, but when I started trying to run again back in 2015 or so, I was pegging out at 135 BPM at a 20 min/mil "run." I was trying my hardest to stay under 140, but that was as fast as I could go. So in 7 years I've gone from 20 min/mile to 11-12 min/mile. There's been bumps along the way... but I just say that to say its a lot of small improvements that just accumulate. You're coming back from breaking your foot aren't you? It takes a toll dude. I had a "rough month" and I feel like its set me back - in effort, and about 30s/mile slower.

Tell me the secret when it happens.. please :) Course, my wheels are still under construction at a 'more seasoned' age haha
Lol! I'll share when I uncover it but from reading forgotten manuscripts of lore and yore I suspect it is something like "little and often over the long haul."

Today’s practice: 5/10/22
Dinosaur yoga with my pe classes (per a teachers request) it was fun though and the girls enjoyed it.
Some “pose running drills”
3 mile shakeout with the pup focusing on forefoot striking.
D3065B92-C0E9-49AE-AAFB-3F6733A6984A.png
You run like the wind Larry, and for long distances, then you recover like nothing happened.. so... I would not change a thing iffin I were you :cool:

I’m not complaining (maybe a little), just know i have holes to fill.

Not that I'm a great example for anything, but when I started trying to run again back in 2015 or so, I was pegging out at 135 BPM at a 20 min/mil "run." I was trying my hardest to stay under 140, but that was as fast as I could go. So in 7 years I've gone from 20 min/mile to 11-12 min/mile. There's been bumps along the way... but I just say that to say its a lot of small improvements that just accumulate. You're coming back from breaking your foot aren't you? It takes a toll dude. I had a "rough month" and I feel like its set me back - in effort, and about 30s/mile slower.

I am coming off of a broken foot, which is what made me rethink my entire approach to running. I’m playing the ling game and hope to have results resembling yours.

hope to have results resembling yours.
Haha I want results like David Allen - running in Zone 2 at 8 min/mile pace! Smoking dude...

Something I'll say, as a criticism of my own training and from talking with a friend who's a running coach, is I've neglected doing faster work to my detriment, and now when I do have to run fast - even for short distances - it is very hard, and very hard on my lower legs. So although I think building a base is important, I think learning how to have a faster turnover and building resilience in my lower legs might be a good reason to incorporate something faster once a week. But I'm also "special" in that I've had a lot of lower leg injuries over the years... You can call me Mr. Glass. ;)

Haha I want results like David Allen - running in Zone 2 at 8 min/mile pace! Smoking dude...

Something I'll say, as a criticism of my own training and from talking with a friend who's a running coach, is I've neglected doing faster work to my detriment, and now when I do have to run fast - even for short distances - it is very hard, and very hard on my lower legs. So although I think building a base is important, I think learning how to have a faster turnover and building resilience in my lower legs might be a good reason to incorporate something faster once a week. But I'm also "special" in that I've had a lot of lower leg injuries over the years... You can call me Mr. Glass. ;)
I’m currently using races as my “fast” runs and really trying to focus in the base atm. I have a semi-trail 1/2 marathon on the 22nd that I’ll run semi-fast in. Shortly after that marathon training truly begins, then i will be incorporating weekly speed work. I’ve been guilty of neglecting it in the past and not following the 80/20 rule. Too many of my base runs were too fast and I had nothing in the tank for speed workouts.

I’m currently using races as my “fast” runs and really trying to focus in the base atm. I have a semi-trail 1/2 marathon on the 22nd that I’ll run semi-fast in. Shortly after that marathon training truly begins, then i will be incorporating weekly speed work. I’ve been guilty of neglecting it in the past and not following the 80/20 rule. Too many of my base runs were too fast and I had nothing in the tank for speed workouts.
Looking forward to your results! I think I'm gonna try and hit a late-in-the-year marathon if training goes alright... Never gone that far before.

I am never able to keep a low heartrate when exercising. Used to worry about that, but gave up. It lowers fast when I am finished.

When my work schedule becomes more reasonable I'll be experimenting with a 10 min mile pace on some runs. Doing it for a few minutes at a time should be fine. In fall of 2020 I was hitting that pace on the beach and experienced some calf problems, found out later it was due to stuck fascia between the IT band and hamstring. It was an amazingly easy fix once I figured it out.

There’s a 50k ultra I have my eye on October 2023…

I’ve actually had my eye on that on too. Definitely want to do a 50k. Pretty sure that’s the same day as the Chicago Marathon I’m doing. Maybe I’ll pencil that one in for next year.

Last edited:
I’ve actually had my eye on that on too. Definitely want to do a 50k. Pretty sure that’s the same day as the Chicago Marathon I’m doing. Maybe I’ll pencil that one in for next year.
We could always run it together, we can be super slow but it’d be company!

Back
Top Bottom