all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Today’s practice: 10/26/22
Locomotor skills and dance parties with my younger pe classes. They always get a huge kick out of me joining in on the action.
Walked a few blocks with the 16 k and the dog. I will be making myself do this much more often. Microdosing the farmers carry. Going to dedicate to much more core work in general moving forward. I felt that my low back was bugging me in the marathon cycle and i feel better while moving when my core is engaged.
Shoulder smoker w2d2
4 rounds of this complex:
6 DSN
6 DFSQ
6 DMP
1 min W: 2 min R

Past several days of practice: 10/27-28/22
Mobility, stretching, core focused work; starting to utilize the McGill big 3 as my go to.
Have also taken my 16k for several walks with the dog.
Today’s practice: 10/29/22
OS reset warm up
W2D3 of the shoulder smoker
4 rounds of:
6 DCLN
6DMP
6 DFSQ
6 DSN
6DPP
Those PP at the end are pretty brutal…
1:30W:3:00R

Today’s practice: 11/1/22
OS reset WU

5 mile run to class
9:44 pace
151 bpm

Peer taught lesson focusing on bball handling skills. Including a core strengthening partner ARAP of: 10 bball pass planks, 10 Russian twists, and shuffling down the court and back with chest passes. Got 4 rounds in 5 minutes, had to really push my partner.

5.5 mile bike ride home.

Today’s practice: 11/3/22
OS resets, parts of mcgill big 3, some hangs/pull-ups/leg raises

5 mile run to class
9:06 pace
Keep forgetting to wear my chest strap, wrist says 151 (extremely generous imo)
Some planks and pushups in a peer taught lesson
5 mile bike ride home.

Today’s practice: 11/3/22
OS resets, parts of mcgill big 3, some hangs/pull-ups/leg raises

5 mile run to class
9:06 pace
Keep forgetting to wear my chest strap, wrist says 151 (extremely generous imo)
Some planks and pushups in a peer taught lesson
5 mile bike ride home.
That’s a great pace / distance / HR dude.

Ty, as i said though that was off my optical sensor. I would guess that i was more in the 160-170 range.
I knew the chest ones were more accurate, but I didn’t realize optical had such a big difference.

I knew the chest ones were more accurate, but I didn’t realize optical had such a big difference.
I once compared Polar's OH1 (LED on forearm)) with their H10 chest strap in the same session. The readings were very close, showing only a slight lag on the OH1. Gonna have to do another comparison round.

I once compared Polar's OH1 (LED on forearm)) with their H10 chest strap in the same session. The readings were very close, showing only a slight lag on the OH1. Gonna have to do another comparison round.
I’m thinking that the optical ones are more subject to ‘environmental’ variability, whereas the chest types will be more consistent.

I have a Garmin instinct and have had a forerunner 235 as wrist based optical sensors. In my experience the readings at the start of of the run are too high. Showing 140-150 range where my chest would show 130-140 range. Then later in the run as it should be rising to the 150-160 range it is already there. Then towards the end i should likely be creeping towards the red zone. I compared it to the first 5 miles of my marathon and I was hovering around 160 with the exception of the first mile being a little my lower.

I’m thinking that the optical ones are more subject to ‘environmental’ variability, whereas the chest types will be more consistent.
Could be.. my new Polar V2 watch is a PITA, it reads 50 bpm over actual at times, like this am at the start of the session. I cleaned the back and tightened the strap, from then on it was ok. Seems the Oh1 on the forearm is much more reliable, the LED's on it are definitely more powerful.

I was using the cheap Polar M200 watch before this one, when beach running I'd take an occasional cold dip in the ocean with it on and it never messed up.. I think the LED's were stronger than my current watch.

I have a Garmin instinct and have had a forerunner 235 as wrist based optical sensors. In my experience the readings at the start of of the run are too high. Showing 140-150 range where my chest would show 130-140 range. Then later in the run as it should be rising to the 150-160 range it is already there. Then towards the end i should likely be creeping towards the red zone. I compared it to the first 5 miles of my marathon and I was hovering around 160 with the exception of the first mile being a little my lower.
It's really annoying at times.

Frustrating as LED's are, I can't stand wearing a chest strap, they really bug me for some reason. I'm hoping for an update on the V2 watch, hopefully it will get better.

Today’s practice: 11/4/22
Shoulder smoker W3D3 on lunch
Super quick hanging and rocking warmup

5 rounds of this complex:
6 DCL
6 DMP
6 DFSQ
6 DSN
6 DPP

1:30min work: 3:00 min rest

Went pretty well until the last set, power was totally gone after the DSN in round 5 and i bailed on the DPP. Took a 30 sec brake and got em in. I think it was a good call. Those DPP at the end of that complex get brutal un the last two rounds…
Going to go for a 5.5 mile bike ride to a barrel aged beer tasting festival with some brewery buddies this afternoon. We’ll see how i get home, going to take a ride-share bike to be safe.

Weekend practice:
Lots of activities and walking with the family, little bit of mobility mixed in, and a walk with the 16k. Also took a tour of a climbing gym, strongly considering having the whole family join one.
Today’s practice: 11/7/22
Wake up and hit OS resets

W4D1 of shoulder smoker
6 DSW
6 DHP
6 DSN
6 DMP
1:1.5 work:rest all @16/16k

Weekend practice:
Lots of activities and walking with the family, little bit of mobility mixed in, and a walk with the 16k. Also took a tour of a climbing gym, strongly considering having the whole family join one.
Today’s practice: 11/7/22
Wake up and hit OS resets

W4D1 of shoulder smoker
6 DSW
6 DHP
6 DSN
6 DMP
1:1.5 work:rest all @16/16k
Which gym?

Back
Top Bottom