all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Yesterday: 2/20/23

Family day full of physical activity! Woke up and the kids biked to the pool for an hour or so, biked home (i jogged/chased them). Then got home and had some lunch before heading downtown to go skating. Walked around and hit up a huge playscape. Fun day off.

Today’s practice: 2/21/23

3.75 mile run to clinical
1.25 mile run to class
5 mile ride to work/home
Bike was electric assist, all the regular bikes were taken. Pretty fast and fun.
Some gtg hangs and pullups (low volume)

Today’s practice: 2/22/23

Walked my 32k to work (3 blocks and 4 flights of stairs). Left it there for future use.

Mobility and locomotor skills practice with my pk pe classes. Classes ran long and my lunch cut short so i skipped the SnS warm up and did a spontaneous timed simple session.

Swings were a little tough , feel like I’m just out of practice with swings and their a little less than efficient rn. TGU were fairly easy, finished them with around 2 min or so to spare. Validates me starting to work in the 40k a bit.

Today’s practice: 2/23/23
3 mile run to a student teaching site at a hs.

Taught a jump rope lesson focussing on health and fitness, added in how to take your own hr pre and post activity. Actually got a lot of jumping rope in too.

3 mile run home/work.

2/24/23

SnS wu
10x10 swings all @32k. Never got in the getups cuz you can’t say no to your kid wanting to play soccer with you.

2/25/23

Gymnastics/soccer coaching and running around.

2/26/23

Get ups and pull ups practice.
5 rounds of
1/1 slow controlled getup @32k with a press at top position.
2 L sit ring pull-ups

Stretched this out throughout the afternoon as i did laundry and prepped dinner. Was actually a tougher session than i had anticipated.

Last edited:
Yesterday's Practice: 3/1/23

Lots of teaching, mobility/stretching, locomotor warm ups with my PE classes.
Evening SnS session sans warm up routine.
10x10 2H swings @40k
4/4 TGU @32k, 1/1 TGU @40k

Today's Practice : 3/2/23

5 mile bike ride to student teaching

2 mile run to more student teaching

2.5 mile run to class

5 mile bike ride to work

3/4/23
7 mile run in the am to a PE conference.
3 mile lunch ride to coach soccer
MonsterJam outing with my son

3/6/23
2.25 miles running, couple of miles on a bike (was running late).

Not sure if I’m running, biking or lifting later so i will update.

Yesterday’s practice continued: 3/6/23

3.75 mile run home

5 (3/3) CnP @32k
With hangs and pull-ups mixed in.

Today’s practice:3/7/23

1/2 mile run to ride-share

2 mile ride, 1/2 mile run to HS

1.5 mile run with the last .5 consisting of short sprint intervals.

5 mile bike tide home.

I’m liking these commuter workouts, just keep moving.

3/8/23
GTG pull ups in sets of two throughout the day. Was actually a bit tough as the sets went on. While i will be doing SnS I’m enjoying just doing whatever i feel like these past couple of weeks.

Today’s practice: 3/9/23

4 mile ride to HS

2 mile walk to another HS

2 mile run to University

5 mile ride to work

It’s extremely satisfying to pass by some of my colleagues in their cars as we travel from school to school. They also enjoy honking/yelling/waving at me as we pass each other. Whether i run or bike i usually get there around the same time as them by the time they park and walk.

Great job Larry.. nothing like a snatch test to see where you are at. Really good.. for not doing a lead up to it?
Thanks Bret! Yes, no real lead up. I had been snatching the 28k 2 days a week for 12 weeks. Then last week i did a high rep session with the 24k. Wanted to test the waters and see where i stood. Getting so close makes me want to chase it down though. Have a race next weekend so maybe I’ll give it another go in 2 weeks.

Thanks Bret! Yes, no real lead up. I had been snatching the 28k 2 days a week for 12 weeks. Then last week i did a high rep session with the 24k. Wanted to test the waters and see where i stood. Getting so close makes me want to chase it down though. Have a race next weekend so maybe I’ll give it another go in 2 weeks.
It always comes down to lungs, buns and guns.. I don't think you have a weak point there, and you swim well after jumping into a roiling sea with no direct prep. Doing 20 reps per minute has always been my favorite way of doing it.. Minute four and five always suck pretty bad.. lol

As you said, I think you're there.. doing a snatch test without prep is a shock to the nervous system.. Next time I believe you can get it.

It always comes down to lungs, buns and guns.. I don't think you have a weak point there, and you swim well after jumping into a roiling sea with no direct prep. Doing 20 reps per minute has always been my favorite way of doing it.. Minute four and five always suck pretty bad.. lol

As you said, I think you're there.. doing a snatch test without prep is a shock to the nervous system.. Next time I believe you can get it.
I posted this elsewhere and had some suggestions to try different rep schemes and to not set the bell down. Maybe rest in lockout now and then?

I posted this elsewhere and had some suggestions to try different rep schemes and to not set the bell down. Maybe rest in lockout now and then?
There are many ways to slice and dice a snatch test, you were so close at 20 reps per minute I wouldn't bother thinking about another format. My suggestion.. Stay the course, and victory will soon be yours :)

Double breathing will probably help get you over the top in a short time, Derek Toshner has a video on it. It may be worth your time to experiment a little bit with the breathing aspect, the idea is to preload oxygen before it's needed, rather than trying to catch up after the fact.

There are many ways to slice and dice a snatch test, you were so close at 20 reps per minute I wouldn't bother thinking about another format. My suggestion.. Stay the course, and victory will soon be yours :)

Double breathing will probably help get you over the top in a short time, Derek Toshner has a video on it. It may be worth your time to experiment a little bit with the breathing aspect, the idea is to preload oxygen before it's needed, rather than trying to catch up after the fact.
I’m familiar, I attempted it in that test but my timing and rhythm are all off. I was exhaling at lockout and breathing in on hip drive.

I’m familiar, I attempted it in that test but my timing and rhythm are all off. I was exhaling at lockout and breathing in on hip drive.
No worries man, I believe it's all academic at this point.

Tried playing with the breathing ala Toshner myself, it was okay.. Honestly I don't have the juice to kick my own rear end much anymore, work is too physical, so I save my ammo for what are high value targets.

Back
Top Bottom