all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

Thanks, it really takes a toll tbh. Made my 10 mile run exponentially harder.
No surprise there, a ten mile run would kill me too, if my calf woes would even allow it. I have my distance wheeelhouse.. and 10 miles ain't in it ?

@Bret S. No surprise there, a ten mile run would kill me too, if my calf woes would even allow it. I have my distance wheeelhouse.. and 10 miles ain't in it ?
Lol, I’m still young yet. I don't know if i could keep up with your burpees or snatching though. I was super proud of that 10 miler tbh, i ran it nice and easy and kept my hr around 144. That’s about 10 bpm less than my long runs used to be. They were of course at faster paces, but I’m really enjoying improving my aerobic base.

@Bret S. No surprise there, a ten mile run would kill me too, if my calf woes would even allow it. I have my distance wheeelhouse.. and 10 miles ain't in it ?
Lol, I’m still young yet. I don't know if i could keep up with your burpees or snatching though. I was super proud of that 10 miler tbh, i ran it nice and easy and kept my hr around 144. That’s about 10 bpm less than my long runs used to be. They were of course at faster paces, but I’m really enjoying improving my aerobic base.
I'm no run expert but I think doing most training in the easy zone works pretty well, at least for me it seems to. Training is so specific to what we do regularly, and crossover doesn't seem to happen much.

Have you always been a runner? FWIW I don'r consider myself a runner, more a guy who runs and tries to do some things right.

Just started in
I'm no run expert but I think doing most training in the easy zone works pretty well, at least for me it seems to. Training is so specific to what we do regularly, and crossover doesn't seem to happen much.

Have you always been a runner? FWIW I don'r consider myself a runner, more a guy who runs and tries to do some things right.
the past 3-4 years. Ran some track and xc cuz my wrestling coach made me. I jumped straight up to 1/2 and then full marathons though because my wife does them. I’ve fun a few now, best time is 3:48. Best half was like a sub 8 min pace.

Just started in

the past 3-4 years. Ran some track and xc cuz my wrestling coach made me. I jumped straight up to 1/2 and then full marathons though because my wife does them. I’ve fun a few now, best time is 3:48. Best half was like a sub 8 min pace.
Nice! In my world that's flying along, I think the pump can handle longer/faster.. but the wheels wobble.

Baby steps here, I'm interested in some longer slow (12 min/mi max) sessions while taking what I can get.

Today’s practice: a+a snatches@ 20k, 120 reps total in 12 rounds. Timeless, but knocked em out fast. Organically found a new breathing pattern for snatches today. Has inhalation and exhalation on both the upswing and downswing. Really liked it and felt much more efficient.
Unable to run for a few days so I’m doing some high volume/cardio centric kb sessions to compensate.

Today’s practice:
Warmed up with some hip mobility and dbl deadlifts with the 20/24k
Dbl strength aerobics, 20k/24k
Cln/press/sqt, set it down and shake it out is 1 round. Did just that for the first 10 rounds then went to traveling 2’s format for the remaining 25 rounds. Traveling 2’s is 2 cln/press/sqt, then next round is cln/2 press/sqt, and so on, rotating the 2’s over and over.

Today’s practice:
Warmed up with some hip mobility and dbl deadlifts with the 20/24k
Dbl strength aerobics, 20k/24k
Cln/press/sqt, set it down and shake it out is 1 round. Did just that for the first 10 rounds then went to traveling 2’s format for the remaining 25 rounds. Traveling 2’s is 2 cln/press/sqt, then next round is cln/2 press/sqt, and so on, rotating the 2’s over and over.
Is there a reason you switched to travelling 2's sfter 10 rounds of singles? How did you like the strength aerobics? I have done something similar (just for a fixed time of 20 minutes) a few years ago. Maybe should give it s try again.

Is there a reason you switched to travelling 2's sfter 10 rounds of singles? How did you like the strength aerobics? I have done something similar (just for a fixed time of 20 minutes) a few years ago. Maybe should give it s try again.
I haven’t done it with doubles in a long time so i was just feeling it out. Felt too easy after 10 rounds so i just made the call on the spot. I like strength aerobics, but I’ve never really dedicated time to it. I think Brett Jones is still planning on an ebook that I’m excited for. It’s a great way to get sustained power output and volume at the same time.

Today’s practice:
1rm press test following nsca protocol.
55# x 5 L/R
75# x2 L/R
80# x2 fail L/R
77.5# x1 L/R
Finished it off with 2x5 with the 55#
I’ve pressed 80# in the past, but the training rule of specificity reigns supreme. That was during pressing season, and rn it’s running season baby! Pretty pleased though overall, 2.5# isn’t a big loss. I did this test as part of my exercise physiology course/lab.

Today’s practice:
1rm press test following nsca protocol.
55# x 5 L/R
75# x2 L/R
80# x2 fail L/R
77.5# x1 L/R
Finished it off with 2x5 with the 55#
I’ve pressed 80# in the past, but the training rule of specificity reigns supreme. That was during pressing season, and rn it’s running season baby! Pretty pleased though overall, 2.5# isn’t a big loss. I did this test as part of my exercise physiology course/lab.
Nice work! Don't underestimate the strength building effect of running.

Nice work! Don't underestimate the strength building effect of running.
Thanks man, it’s got me wanting to start pressing heavy.
Today’s practice: presses
Mp 5x2 @75#
Pp 5x3 @75#
Dbl dl 4x10 @88#/75#
Big breaks between all of these while making dinner.
I want to pair this with something like you did @Adachi. What do you think, double deadlift, or double front squat? Keep in mind I’m marathon training atm. Leaning towards dbl dl. Putting kids to bed now. Might do dl before i go down.

Last edited:
@LarryB
I don't know. my guess is squats are more important to sprinters, and deadlifts are more important for long distance runners.

Not sure which you need to get stronger in, your back or your quads ?

Also, food for thought, not sure if you wanna cut back on volume a bit on your presses while you're still training for the marathon. Don't wanna have competing adaptations during any peaking work. Presses are definitely side dishes for a running sport.

Last edited:
@LarryB
I don't know. my guess is squats are more important to sprinters, and deadlifts are more important for long distance runners.

Not sure which you need to get stronger in, your back or your quads ?

Also, food for thought, not sure if you wanna cut back on volume a bit on your presses while you're still training for the marathon. Don't wanna have competing adaptations during any peaking work. Presses are definitely side dishes for a running sport.
Agreed on dl and volume. Presses and this will be on off running days. Thinking of just doing it twice sometimes 3 times if I’m unable to get a run in. The pp are great though, you got me hooked.

Today’s practice: 5.6 mile run. Slow and steady, but hr was super jacked up. I’ve been training in the evenings a lot and this was an early morning run. Wonder if that’s it, hr went way down to normal towards the end of the run.

Back
Top Bottom