all posts post new thread

Larry’s Logs

No worries man, I believe it's all academic at this point.

Tried playing with the breathing ala Toshner myself, it was okay.. Honestly I don't have the juice to kick my own rear end much anymore, work is too physical, so I save my ammo for what are high value targets.
I hear ya man. I come from a long line of manual laborers (we’re Detroiters after all) . May family trade was more landscaping, lawn care, retention wall/brick pavers, and our ultimate specialty being climbing/tree removal. My brother still carries on the family business. He never trains either but is cut and strong. Keep trying to at least get him on a mobility routine ala flexible steel.

I hear ya man. I come from a long line of manual laborers (we’re Detroiters after all) . May family trade was more landscaping, lawn care, retention wall/brick pavers, and our ultimate specialty being climbing/tree removal. My brother still carries on the family business. He never trains either but is cut and strong. Keep trying to at least get him on a mobility routine ala flexible steel.
The things you mentioned are all hard work.. Especially trees. There is absolutely nothing easy about working in trees, not to mention the danger Factor.

My nephew is a lineman apprentice in Arizona, I put on his gear including his belt and climbed a pole at his urging.. When he told me his brother who is an ex Marine wouldn't do it... I just had to.. lol

Talk about a hard and dangerous job. He hurt his knee in training, they were doing rescue practice coming down the pole with a 150 lb dummy and it didn't go well. He needs surgery on his ACL I believe, the company isn't backing him like they should and the insurance company is dragging their feet on his surgery.. I feel bad for him.

I've always said that weight training is easy and joyful compared to hard Blue Collar type work.

The things you mentioned are all hard work.. Especially trees. There is absolutely nothing easy about working in trees, not to mention the danger Factor.

My nephew is a lineman apprentice in Arizona, I put on his gear including his belt and climbed a pole at his urging.. When he told me his brother who is an ex Marine wouldn't do it... I just had to.. lol

Talk about a hard and dangerous job. He hurt his knee in training, they were doing rescue practice coming down the pole with a 150 lb dummy and it didn't go well. He needs surgery on his ACL I believe, the company isn't backing him like they should and the insurance company is dragging their feet on his surgery.. I feel bad for him.

I've always said that weight training is easy and joyful compared to hard Blue Collar type work.
Amen. Bro fell out of a tree last year and has way more aches and pains than someone below 30 should. He can’t work for anyone else but himself though, lol.

Climbing with a bunch of gear on you is definitely scary. I was always more the ground man side of the operation. By the time my brother was working for my dad i was onto another job and he had no choice but to replace the old man, lol.

Amen. Bro fell out of a tree last year and has way more aches and pains than someone below 30 should. He can’t work for anyone else but himself though, lol.

Climbing with a bunch of gear on you is definitely scary. I was always more the ground man side of the operation. By the time my brother was working for my dad i was onto another job and he had no choice but to replace the old man, lol.
We all get replaced brother.. I'm not dead yet though haha

I've been working for myself most of my life, it's both a blessing and a curse in this business. You were smart to get out of it.

Today’s practice: 3/13/23
3.75 mile run to HS
Sat in on some weight room classes today and helped a student with his kb cleans. So i got some more incidental kb work in and some gtg pull ups.

1/2 mile run to bike, 3 mile bike ride to work.

More gtg pullups

Sat in on some weight room classes today and helped a student with his kb cleans.
That.. is cool :)

I would love to do that, who knows how much a little help in the right direction can change a young persons life.. you never know, there are people whom have helped me as a youngin that I have never forgotten.

That.. is cool :)

I would love to do that, who knows how much a little help in the right direction can change a young persons life.. you never know, there are people whom have helped me as a youngin that I have never forgotten.
It really leaves me at a crossroads of where i want to focus my teaching. Elementary or high school…Elementary is fun and you can mold your students. High school you can make a huge impact, but have to deal with huge amounts of disrespect and just more bs in general. As a hs pe teacher i would likely be expected to get my health, drivers ed, lifeguard and swimming certifications. Just see where the path leads me i guess.

Today’s practice:
Mostly working/teaching elementary PE. Starting a health and fitness unit with my older grades so that should be cool.
1 hour of easy pickle ball with a student in after school. We just came off a pickled ball unit and had some fun.
10x10 2hs @40k. Wanted to do some get ups too, perhaps in the am.

i would likely be expected to get my health, drivers ed, lifeguard and swimming certifications. Just see where the path leads me i guess.
Huh.. never woulda thunk it.. I had no idea about these cert requirements.

I'm sure your heart will guide you

Today’s practice: 3/15/23
Lots of locomotor skills in PE today, my younger ones love it when i get on the line and go up against em. We focus on running (sprint bball court length), skipping, shuffling, galloping, leaping, and jumping. I really stress form and explosiveness I’ll, i feel really good after doing these, especially the broad jumps.

Walked my 32kg to work on lunch and got some tgu+windmills done in the afternoon. Would do the get up portion of a get up and then do 2 windmills before returning to the floor. I’ve never spent time with this movement and have been inspired by the most recent article. I think i may adopt these exercises for a while, for whatever reason i have not been squeezing in my SnS sessions. Should maybe hop on a real program soon.

Today’s practice: 3/19/23
Been sick with a sinus infection and knew I had this race today so i took it easy the past several days. Race was in my hometown so got to see all my family too. Woke up feeling pretty crappy still though and did not want to do this damn race but i pulled it together.
My wife, her friend, and some horse riding friends (I actually managed to get a horseback ride in the day before too!) of my mom’s were all doing it so i had to represent. This race is run by a friend and it has become a very competitive field over the years so i placed terribly.
Anyway, took the first half of the race easy and stepped it up for the second half. Ended up chasing down my wife’s friend and beating her in a sprint to the finish so that was super fun.
13.1 miles in 2:04

3/22/23:
Teaching and gtg pull-ups throughout the afternoon. Sets if three are feeling stronger. Had to cut back to sets of two later in the afternoon.

A bit of side press and windmill practice with the 32k in the evening.

Today’s practice: 3/23/23
8 mile bike ride in the am. At least another 5-7 miles later today. See what else the day brings.

Friday 3/24/23:
GTG bodyweight stuff, mostly pushups and pull-ups, some pistol practice as well.

Saturday 3/25/23
Coaching all morning before a impromptu session in the afternoon.
Warm up
Snatch to windmill x2 @32k each side
Then some face pulls and inverted rows
3(1,2,3) CnP @32k
Finisher
Non stop snatching with the 20k, did a reverse ladder and rested overhead when needed went something like; 10/10, 9/9, 8/8, 7/7, 6/6. Called it there.

3/26/23
Playing with bottoms up clean and hold, started up with a single 20k and moved onto double clean and holds. Played with double snatches 20/16k. These felt pretty good actually. Tried my hand at over head squats, my arms tend to drift forward These play/practice sessions have been good and provide a novel stimulus.

Today’s practice: 3/27/23
About 7 miles of run commuting

3/28/23
4x10 inverted rows on the playground and some pull-ups and dips on the rings in the gym. The rings force a narrow neutral grip that I’m not accustomed to. The ring dips are very hard…

Got in a quick CnP session when i got home.
3(1,2) @32k.

Back
Top Bottom