all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Last Week of Giant 1.0

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@jake54 , @Stefan Olsson , yup I have to say it seems to be working for us all!

What I'm finding is the conditioning benefit is really super. I know that heart rate isn't always a good marker and is variable from day to day but I've been doing these programs for the past 8 weeks and my heart rate goes nowhere near as high as it did in the beginning! Back in October doing 55 + reps in a session usually saw my heart rate peak in the 160s and last week's efforts....which yielded 221 reps for the week....never got above 150!

@jake54 , @Stefan Olsson , yup I have to say it seems to be working for us all!

What I'm finding is the conditioning benefit is really super. I know that heart rate isn't always a good marker and is variable from day to day but I've been doing these programs for the past 8 weeks and my heart rate goes nowhere near as high as it did in the beginning! Back in October doing 55 + reps in a session usually saw my heart rate peak in the 160s and last week's efforts....which yielded 221 reps for the week....never got above 150!

I agree. Today the 70 reps left me less spent than the 50 did in the beginning. I am really happy, and look forward to the next four weeks.

You guys are really making me reconsider my next block. This forum is both a blessing and a curse!

I own the book but I just want to clarify that this is clean + press so your recleaning after every press, correct?

You guys are really making me reconsider my next block. This forum is both a blessing and a curse!

I own the book but I just want to clarify that this is clean + press so your recleaning after every press, correct?
Yes.

Those are impressive progressions!

Are you doing something else like some aerobic runs or q&d? Or just those 3 days of 20-30mins c&p? No squats or other strength training?

Those are impressive progressions!

Are you doing something else like some aerobic runs or q&d? Or just those 3 days of 20-30mins c&p? No squats or other strength training?
Just the program as written. 20 min a day. Nothing else.

The next four weeks, I think I'll go 30 min, with limited squats (goblet prob) 2x3, 3x3...etc. as mentioned in the QandA section of the booklet.

Just the program as written. 20 min a day. Nothing else.

The next four weeks, I think I'll go 30 min, with limited squats (goblet prob) 2x3, 3x3...etc. as mentioned in the QandA section of the booklet.
Okey...

did you all do it with double kb?

Has anyone done it with a single bell?

A word of caution when jumping into these programs. Partly because they work so well, they end up being a lot of volume (I was on pace to go from about 160 reps with double- 32s in the first week at 30m sessions, to ~250 in the 3rd week...... I did 17 sets of 5, plus a couple as the clock ran out last Monday). I made 2-mistakes (that I'm sharing not as a program criticism, it's the most effective, and "fun" program I've ever done, but to maybe help someone avoid making the same mistakes):
  • When I started, I probably wasn't far enough removed from a slight tweak/strain in my right shoulder. It didn't bother me when either warming up for, or performing the session, so I carried on
  • I started with more of an 8RM than a 10RM (28's would have been more like a 12-13RM)
  • As the tweak bothered me more and more the day after my sessions, I kept proceeding with the program because....., it still didn't bother me when I was actually doing my sessions; and because my gains (in reducing rest periods if not in raw strength, which I haven't tested, though I suspect are there too) were....ahem......inspiring; and.... completing a heavy DCP is....really satisfying (87 is...... ? )
I got to the point where I could barely move my right arm for 2-days (after my 2nd session of week 3) so now I'm giving it a rest. Probably 4-weeks at least. I can't wait to get back into it but........I'll have to. My advice (and I'm no trainer) is (and this is so obvious it shouldn't need to be said....but I didn't follow it....the difficulty of following that "leave your ego at the door" thing is real):
  1. When the program suggests a RM, follow it. If you're "split", err on side of caution (go lighter, the program will still be plenty effective)
  2. If you've got ANY injury/soft spot in your shoulders (and you're 50, which I am), proceed with caution because the volume gets pretty high (especially if you do 30m, which I did)
  3. If you have any doubts about #2, there's probably no reason to push out to 30m. 20m will be plenty effective.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom