all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Learning Splits by "Greasing the Groove"?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The basic rules of flexibility are :
-stretch one side of the joint (e.g. agnoists)
-strengthen the other side of the joint (e.g. antagonists)

This is because once you strecth into a new ROM, no matter how small an increase, you need to teach your body that it can safely enter that end range. It won't do it unless you have the strength to do so.

So for a side split, you would stretch your adductors and then strengthen your medial glutes in their end range. Back when I was in my teens and practiced kung fu, the combination of stretching splits and then doing "kick-and-holds" (holding a kick as high asyou can with good from) served this function.

Same for say, shoulder flexion: you need to stretch the pecs, lats, teres major, etc, and strengthen the shoulder flexors and upward/external rotators, such as the upper/lower traps, external rotator cuff muscles, and so on.
This is a great post and how I try and improve posture etc in clients.

I have clients with shoulder issues or rounded shoulders (couch, car, computer posture). They often think stretching the pec/shoulder area will help. I have to tell them that gaining new levels of flexibility in this area won't translate into better posture unless the opposing muscles are strong enough to pull you into that newly acquired/improved posture.

Richard

Respectfully disagree. It's all about how hard you push yourself, and to make progress in splits, you need to push hard, so frequent training isn't what I recommend.

At the first Flexible Steel workshop I attended, I recall Master Instructor Jon Engum and I talking about how often one should practice the techniques that he and I had both used with success to achieve our splits, and had just demonstrated in the workshop. My recommendation was twice a week, and Jon's was 3 times in 2 weeks. This kind of training is best thought of as being similar to what you'd do if your lifting program called for one heavy session per week on a lift, or even like the Heavy Day in the ROP - you will need to recover from it. And while the medium and light days on the ROP will help you, that hasn't been my experience in working on splits.

-S-
I'm curious about how to balance a flexibility program with training days. I am currently doing a program for kettlebell strength which includes a few rounds of pull-ups with the band. I also run on off days. I struggle to figure out when to do the focused side splits stretch routine. They are very hard for me! Do you have any insight Steve? Thanks and I hope you're having a great December!

In many things there is a continuum. I found reading "Relax Into Stretch" and "Super Joints" fascinating for many reasons, among them that there are some similar movement patterns that exist in both books, and exactly how Pavel recommends performing them on a daily basis in Super Joints makes for an interesting comparison with what's in Relax Into Stretch.

E.g., split switches and a side split every morning, but basically in sync with a normal breathing pattern, then on a few evenings, really pushing out on the stretches and spending time sitting in a split.

-S-
These were the first two books I purchased from Pavel and my introduction to him several years ago. I've shared the mobility drills with many clients through the years. I especially love the introduction about the Russian surgeon! I will go back and reread.

I'm curious about how to balance a flexibility program with training days. I am currently doing a program for kettlebell strength which includes a few rounds of pull-ups with the band. I also run on off days. I struggle to figure out when to do the focused side splits stretch routine. They are very hard for me! Do you have any insight Steve? Thanks and I hope you're having a great December!
@SusieG, if you haven't read it already, I recommend you read Jon Engum's "Flexible Steel" book and anything else from Jon. It's a further evolution of the principles and practices in RIS and SJ.

I practiced as I've mentioned earlier - easy in the mornings as joint mobility, and perhaps twice a week in the evenings, when my day was done, often while watching TV with my wife, for the harder sessions.

-S-

I think a lot of freedom can be gotten from OS....other movement practices such as the 5 Tibetan rites (I don't like number 1) can be helpful.

Alternatively for more creative control - find what is tight....actively stretch it whilst also focusing on strengthening opposing muscles.

Richard

@SusieG, if you haven't read it already, I recommend you read Jon Engum's "Flexible Steel" book and anything else from Jon. It's a further evolution of the principles and practices in RIS and SJ.

I practiced as I've mentioned earlier - easy in the mornings as joint mobility, and perhaps twice a week in the evenings, when my day was done, often while watching TV with my wife, for the harder sessions.

-S-
Thanks!

I think it is intersting when a person chooses to solely try a movement practice. Doing these things alongside other goals, training etc is amazing .. but you can see just how beneficial something is to the body when done in more isolation.

Sometimes you achieve the goal of improved eg flexibility, but also you can notice changes in energy, aesthetics etc as well.

Richard

Has anyone tried "the Clasp Knife" method? Last week i tried this for the first time and it worked great.
Is this method safe for regular use?

Hello,

@Minimalist
I tried a few times.

Obviously, this is probably far from enough to really get used to it and reap benefits. I did it after my practice, so this may not necssarily be optimal. Some say we have to stretch a while after, etc...In all cases, once we get something that works for us...

Here is what I noticed back then:
- After a session, it requires to generate other sets of tension. However, if we are already tired, we will not get the most out of the stretch.
- The tension release is relatively hard to control by itself. It may be "risky" for some as it creates a "drop".
- If we consider stretching as a cool down or recovery / rest activity, then the clasp is more of an "effort". This is not very "smooth".
- If ones like to incorporate flexibility and mobility using "flows" / OS, then this is probably not the best option because one has to "stop" , contract, release, instead of moving smoothly (for instance: split > pancake > cobra stretch) from a position to the other.

The above is only how I felt doing it. I did not get my splits, both frontal and lateral, that way. I was just curious.

Notwithstanding, I do not want to be all negative. It took me a lot of time to get them. I guess this method is way faster. Plus, if one already has the split, this may be interesting because this is another kind of stimulation. Indeed, in this case, we do not risk to over stretch tendons and ligaments or dislocate joints. This tension / relaxation can be interesting in martial arts for instance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom