all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Learning to Snatch

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Anything Anna and Harold say, do that. Pay close attention to Harold's advice on slamming the bell into the hike position from the top. This idea of pulling the bell from the top and throwing it between your legs will help you get through the "fear" of just letting it drop and it will also help to drive the hips back deep, which will get you moving properly and with tons of power. good luck!

Excellent advice!! @Keep Lifting is right on the money!! When I throw the bell back through my "triangle (area between crotch and upper knee)," I think of coiling a spring. That creates a lot of tension, enabling you to get a good, hard, powerful hipsnap. You'll feel a definite difference and snatching almost becomes a perpetual motion machine..

And if your grip strength isn't quite up to it, will help you throw it through a wall. HAH!!!!
Don't ask me how I know this but suffice to say I got lucky and there was enough room for a couple bounces and no real harm done.

Ha ha,,, I did the same thing last week in my garage. My left hand is not quite as strong as my right and I lost a 24kg on the backswing. Bounced off a tire before it got to the wall.
It’s getting better though because I’m starting to figure out the deep grip that Harald described.

Small upstairs bedroom for me - my wife is already not too happy whenever I park the bell clumsily because the thud it makes sets the dog off

If I lost my grip and launched the bell, she would, erm, go ballistic

Reading today the absolute goldmine that is the Training Log of @Pavel Macek - Repeat Until Strong, found this nugget:

"My student, instructor of out gym and now esteemed colleague Antonín (SFG1, SFL, FMS2) wrote an excellent article for our Czech website with 5 tips for improving the kettlebell snatch. His 5 keys are:

- connecting all the parts in one fluid motion
- deep hip hinge
- taming the arc
- keeping the bell more or less on the centre line
- evading as late as possible"

I find this non-verbal "Not like this, but like this" style of instruction very effective

Thank you Antonin and Pavel M.!!!

i was wondering how good you self taught guys are technique wise. I know having a coach is best but currently dont have access to one i have watched many youtube videos on snatch and clean, but just cant seem to get the technique right, and the numbers are extremely low for my strength level, i expected this at the start. I am swapping from powerlifting to weightlifting, anyone know a good program to use for mobility or have some advice, i watched a klokov video and he said the best advice for beginners is to not snatch and clean for the first month and get strong in those positions, so any of you have experience with this?

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

I, for one, will not be surprised when you're on the forum asking about snatching the 32..
@WxHerk - to my great surprise, here I am already asking about snatching the 32:

have been slinging the 24 A&A for 5-7 reps R then L - averaging between 60 - 90 seconds recovery each side - 2/3 times a week for 3 weeks now, waving repeats 20 - 40 delta 20 including 1H 32 swings...

... which raises this question: weighing 85kg at the moment, should I buy a 28kg bell as the ideal 1/3 bodyweight power tool for A&A snatches, or, just go from 24 to 32 snatches in much the same way that you helped me go from 16 to 24?

Last edited:
@WxHerk - to my great surprise, here I am already asking about snatching the 32:

have been slinging the 24 A&A for 5-7 reps R then L - averaging between 60 - 90 seconds recovery each side - 2/3 times a week for 3 weeks now, waving repeats 20 - 40 delta 20 including 1H 32 swings...

... which raises this question: weighing 85kg at the moment, should I buy a 28kg bell as the ideal 1/3 bodyweight power tool for A&A snatches, or, just go from 24 to 32 snatches in much the same way that you helped me go from 16 to 24?

You can go either way.. If you choose the 8kg jump, really dial in the power and precision along with adequate volume before making the jump..

You can go either way.. If you choose the 8kg jump, really dial in the power and precision along with adequate volume before making the jump..
I've got the 24 dialed in off both arms - feels like I'm flinging it around for fun, almost too easy

Tried a few 32 singles and doubles today and it's an altogether different story - the jump from 24 to 32 feels way bigger than 16 to 24 even though my snatch technique is much better

Ok, I am a light guy, so my experience may not be yours... (32kg is my SFG2 bell).
For me, transitioning from 16kg to 24kg in the snatch was do-able. Lot of technique with the 16kg, then a few high pull with the 24, and that was it.
But the transition to the 32kg... Nope. I went through the 28kg for a long time before I dared to snatch a 32!

@DuncanGB : my apologies for the late reply, as I’ve been away from the forum. Congratulations on your progress..I knew that you would pin your ears back and soon be eyeballing the 32!!

Yes, a 28kg will always serve you well. It is a “Goldilocks bell” for many people and perfectly fits a niche. I frequently use my 28’s for long cycle, squatting, and of course swinging.

You will be well served spending time under a 28 as you prepare for and adapt to the 32. It’s kinda like the crescent wrench of heavier kettlebells!!

@WxHerk : Thank you!

This snatching business is going from addiction to near obsession

My pleasure.

Gorgeous bell, by the way!!

Yes, I completely get the “obsession” bit. The snatch is an outstanding movement and it just does wonders, both physically and psychologically!!

My pleasure.

Gorgeous bell, by the way!!

Yes, I completely get the “obsession” bit. The snatch is an outstanding movement and it just does wonders, both physically and psychologically!!

Phew - I'm not the only one!

Was starting to worry that Covid-19 had undermined my sanity...

But, come to think of it, repeatedly throwing iron around to restore and preserve and build physical and mental and spiritual health makes perfectly good sense...

Reading today the absolute goldmine that is the Training Log of @Pavel Macek - Repeat Until Strong, found this nugget:

"My student, instructor of out gym and now esteemed colleague Antonín (SFG1, SFL, FMS2) wrote an excellent article for our Czech website with 5 tips for improving the kettlebell snatch. His 5 keys are:

- connecting all the parts in one fluid motion
- deep hip hinge
- taming the arc
- keeping the bell more or less on the centre line
- evading as late as possible"

I find this non-verbal "Not like this, but like this" style of instruction very effective

Thank you Antonin and Pavel M.!!!

Kettlebells are an international language. Yes, I find this type more useful than long verbal explanation too and demonstrations that only have the correct form. I can take video of myself and look for the errors in comparison. Snatch is hard to learn. I can also get content from Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, Korea, and other Strong places where there are good content and instructors in less common languages putting up good stuff.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom