all posts post new thread

Lee's Training Log: SFG1 Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
SFG1 Prep wk7 s2

Warmup:

Crawls
Goblet Squats
Bottoms up press

Session:

TGU 5 x 1 @ 32kg
DBCL 5 x 5 @ 2 x 28kg
DBFSQ 5 x 5 @ 2 x 28kg
2h Swings 5 x 20 @ 40kg (30s rest)

Notes:

•TGU went lighter as I'm still feeling yesterday's pressing volume.

•Cleans felt good, nothing extra to report on these.

•Squats are getting better, lower back and core tension feels good.

•Swings were a nice change of pace doing them 2h, but after yesterday that was the only nice thing about them lol. That means it's all working.

Have a strong day everyone!

Ooh, I remember that one. It's a lot tougher than it sounds! I did it with 32kg, made it through the first 3 then had to rest a bit more to finish the last 2. This will help with your 5-min snatch effort...

SFG1 Prep wk7 s3

Warmup:

Crawls
Goblet Squats
Bottom up press

Session:

Press 3 x 1,2,3 @ 28kg
Snatch 10 x 10 @ 24kg 10s rest every 2 x 10
Farmers walks 4 x 90s @ 2 x 24kg

Notes:

•Press felt good to go down to lower volume today.

•Snatch was an a mix of great and epic fail at the same time. My form felt better taming the arc, and snatches more explosive and quicker, I completed 60 in 3mins 20 but couldn't keep the pace going with the 10s rest. I felt positive with the pace, but I'm still feeling the effects of the hard swings the last few days and had to take a lot longer rest before I could do them. I finished in 6:40 in the end which was worse than the previous week. In some ways I know that the fatigue buildup was a reason why I ran out of gas early. But in the back of my mind the test will be after 2.5 days of fatigue accumulated as well. Also I will next week be using liquid chalk as the handle was getting slippery. So let's see what next week brings with these.

•Farmers walks had to rest a bit before doing these, my forearms were on fire at the end of snatches. Good thing is that they were the same after walks as well. I can hang now for a very short time one handed on the bar, grip strength is improving!

Great work, Lee. Don't worry about the snatch time, you can build that glycolytic conditioning quickly in the 2-3 weeks leading up to the cert. If you can do them all in that time now, that's looking good.

Solid work today @Lee Hunt!

Usually I am not using liquid chalk except of swinging 40kg, but my last snatch session had really scary moments because of slippery handle. Snatching is a whole new level of sweating :)

Great work, Lee. Don't worry about the snatch time, you can build that glycolytic conditioning quickly in the 2-3 weeks leading up to the cert. If you can do them all in that time now, that's looking good.
Thanks! I hope so, I'm glad I'm still 6 months out, but I've come a long way so far! How were you feeling at this stage through the program? As I'm really pushing it to get through the sessions big time at the moment. Especially with 20-30s rest between sets.

Solid work today @Lee Hunt!

Usually I am not using liquid chalk except of swinging 40kg, but my last snatch session had really scary moments because of slippery handle. Snatching is a whole new level of sweating :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I feel my hands getting clammy just thinking about the snatches! I don't want any expensive scary moments, hopefully liquid chalk will do the trick!

SFG1 Prep wk7 s3

Warmup:

Crawls
Goblet Squats
Bottom up press

Session:

Press 3 x 1,2,3 @ 28kg
Snatch 10 x 10 @ 24kg 10s rest every 2 x 10

Notes:

•Press felt good to go down to lower volume today.

•Snatch was an a mix of great and epic fail at the same time. My form felt better taming the arc, and snatches more explosive and quicker, I completed 60 in 3mins 20 but couldn't keep the pace going with the 10s rest. I felt positive with the pace, but I'm still feeling the effects of the hard swings the last few days and had to take a lot longer rest before I could do them. I finished in 6:40 in the end which was worse than the previous week. In some ways I know that the fatigue buildup was a reason why I ran out of gas early. But in the back of my mind the test will be after 2.5 days of fatigue accumulated as well. Also I will next week be using liquid chalk as the handle was getting slippery. So let's see what next week brings with these.

•Farmers walks had to rest a bit before doing these, my forearms were on fire at the end of snatches. Good thing is that they were the same after walks as well. I can hang now for a very short time one handed on the bar, grip strength is improving!

With the amount of time left to train I cannot imagine you having real trouble with the numbers you're currently hitting.

A few years ago I was considering going for an IKFF teacher 1 cert on very short notice. With no prep I attempted the test based on just my current fitness and failed by about 12 seconds. I reread the test requirements and made sure to use all the time I had available on timed sections and drop in an extra breath on untimed ones. Two days latter I crushed the test with 10 seconds to spare - instead of sucking wind and stuttering due to high heart rate I felt fine. My take away - Breathing and pacing are really important factors, right up there with overall fitness level.
Caveat - the SFG test is harder than the IKFF teacher 1 test :p.

How were you feeling at this stage through the program? As I'm really pushing it to get through the sessions big time at the moment. Especially with 20-30s rest between sets.

I checked my logs, was feeling still pretty good, not like I was accumulating fatigue. But you are using test weights and heavier for almost everything, it looks like. For example the 28kg for DCL and front squat. Which is good -- but when everything is hard, it may add up to a little too much.

What's your resting HR, by the way?

With the amount of time left to train I cannot imagine you having real trouble with the numbers you're currently hitting.

A few years ago I was considering going for an IKFF teacher 1 cert on very short notice. With no prep I attempted the test based on just my current fitness and failed by about 12 seconds. I reread the test requirements and made sure to use all the time I had available on timed sections and drop in an extra breath on untimed ones. Two days latter I crushed the test with 10 seconds to spare - instead of sucking wind and stuttering due to high heart rate I felt fine. My take away - Breathing and pacing are really important factors, right up there with overall fitness level.
Caveat - the SFG test is harder than the IKFF teacher 1 test :p.
Thanks @North Coast Miller ! My pacing is definitely something that I need to work on :)

I checked my logs, was feeling still pretty good, not like I was accumulating fatigue. But you are using test weights and heavier for almost everything, it looks like. For example the 28kg for DCL and front squat. Which is good -- but when everything is hard, it may add up to a little too much.

What's your resting HR, by the way?
My resting Hr is 54, in Nov the last time I checked it was 68. I'm feeling much better today. Work has been busy, perhaps I need to factor that in too as leading up to the cert is the busiest time of year at work. :)

Last edited:
SFG1 Prep wk7 s4

Warmup:

Crawls
Goblet Squats
Bottoms up press

Session:

TGU 5 x 1 @ 32kg
DBCL 5 x 5 @ 2 x 28kg
DBFSQ 5 x 5 @ 2 x 28kg
1h Swings 10 x 14 @ 32kg 20s rest

Notes:

To summarise the week it's been interesting, although I've not progressed as it stands on the snatches week on week. My form has improved and feels better. I've smashed through a high volume this week. Happy with my pressing, my swings, squats and cleans. I'm feeling better today than I have for the last week with things. I also haven't had much time off and it's been busy at work, perhaps I need to factor that in too. Anyway it's my final full week coming up next, im looking forward to it :)

SFG1 Prep wk8 s1 & s2

Warmup:

Light get ups
Windmills
Goblet Squats

Session 1:

Press 5 x 1,2,3,4,5 @ 28kg
1h Swings 10 x 10 @ 32kg (10s rest)

Session 2:

TGU 5 x 1 per side @ 36kg

Notes:

•Presses felt good and stable even on the 5th reps.

•Swings were tough, but doable with the 32kg.

•Farmers walks were good, I'll stick to this weight as it's still giving me a run for my money.

•TGU's were business as usual, I've incorporated light get ups this week into my warmup. This is helping me get the feeling for the hand knee foot alignment, before the weight goes up.

•2h swings really were tough, but slightly less than last week.

SFG1 Prep wk8 s3, s4 & test week s1

Warmups:

Getups to windmills
Crawls
Bottoms up press
Goblet Squats

Thursday:

Press 5 x 1,2,3 @ 28kg
Snatch 10 x 10 @ 24kg 10s rest per 20
Falmers walks 4 x 90s @ 2 x 24kg

Friday:

TGU 5 x 1 @ 32kg
DBCL 5 x 5 @ 2 x 28kg
DBFSQ 5 x 5 @ 2 x 28kg
1h Swings 10 x 10 @ 32kg 10s rest

Tuesday:

Press 1/1 @ 36kg PR!!!
1h Swings 10 x 10 @ 32kg

Notes:

•Swings were hard work last week, nothing new there!

•Snatches took longer break as I got to the 4-5th sets, but were good, form was better. I felt the downswing was better when I added a little force to it.

•Press previous best was 32kg x 3 before program, really pleased with this result!

•Everything else business as usual at this point in the program.

Congratulations!
Thank you, I surprised myself when they went up! :) I look back to when I had a similar experience when I first pressed the 28kg back in Aug last year! Another milestone hit! 4kg more to hit 1/2 Bodyweight press! :)

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom