all posts post new thread

Lee's Training Log: SFG1 Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Ok today has been slightly off plan as I had access to a barbell for the first time since about Aug.

BW 81kg
Weighted pull up 1 x 10kg, 1 x 15kg, 1 x 20kg
Deadlift 1 x 110kg, 1 x 130kg, 1 x 150kg, 1 x 160kg, 1 x 165kg, 1 x 170kg PR!
Bench press 1 x 70kg, 1 x 80kg, 1 x 90kg, 1 x 100kg, 1 x 105kg PR!

Without any specific barbell work for a while I've increased my deadlift by 10kg and making headway towards 2.5bw. And my bench Press by 2.5kg, that being said my 2.5 increase felt a lot easier than my last PR attempt. My pull ups was a 5kg increase, with no direct work.

Have a strong day everyone!

Last edited:
hey buddy- just catching up on your training log.
you are doing awesome! so impressive!
I will have to start checking back more frequently now because it is very cool!

Thanks @Strong Rick & @damogari!

I have been very lucky to have had great programming since joining strongfirst! :)

I aim to finish up the 8 week program from @Anna C & @alciampa this week with a test, then I'll compare before and after results from there.

Moving forward I have been fortunate enough to be given a customised 10 week program from Levi Markwardt, which I will be starting from next week. I will need to be a bit sketchy on the details as I don't want to give away Levi's content. But will continue to log each workout with lift, weight, workout notes and will aim to do some more videos as I go along!

I aim to finish up the 8 week program from @Anna C & @aciampa

Moving forward I have been fortunate enough to be given a customised 10 week program from Levi Markwardt

You have a knack for finding the best!

Updating Al's tag @aciampa . Al, we have another successful completion of the SFG I program here. Well done, @Lee Hunt !

Test day:

Here's my before and after results of the last 8 weeks of...

How to Prepare for and Pass Your SFG Level I

Before program:

I completed 4 rounds of 5 reps in circuit style one after the other with 2 x 24kg:

Double Swing 5,5,5,5
Double Clean 5,5,5,5
Double Press 5,5,4,4
Double Squat 5,4,0,0

Total time 17 mins

I took the snatch test after 5mins rest which resulted in 54 reps in 5mins which looked like this:

I took the 10mins rest and proceeded to complete 10x1 with TGU's.

After program:

Double Swing 5,5,5,5
Double Clean 5,5,5,5
Double Press 5,5,5,5
Double Squat 5,5,5,5

Total time 11mins

5mins rest

Snatch test 92 reps in 5mins which looked like this:

I took 10mins rest and completed TGU 5 x 1 per arm.

Notes:

•Double bell circuits: This was amazing, last time I really struggled and couldn't complete all the reps. This time not only did a get all the reps but I smashed my previous time by 6mins. I could have pushed a little harder too.

•Snatch test: Ok so 70% increase on snatch numbers which I'm VERY pleased about. Bearing in mind only 5mins earlier I hit more reps in less time making it more intense definitely had a factor on the snatch test. In my mind it's great as it gives me a good baseline for how I'll perform on after 3 days of work, with fatigue setting in.

Conclusion:

The program did wonders for me and has put me in a great place 5 months out from SFG1. I will summarise stats into this post to make it easier to see progression:

8weeks ago --> today

Bw 83kg --> 81kg
Press 32kg x 3r --> 36kg x 1r
TGU 36kg --> 40kg
DBCL 2 x 24kg x 5r --> 2 x 32kg x 5r
DBFSQ 2 x 24kg x 5r --> 2 x 32kg x 5r
Snatch test 54/5mins --> 92/5mins

Not trained but WTH effect:

Bench press 102.5kg x 1 --> 105kg x 1
Pull up 15kg x 1 --> 20kg x 1
Deadlift 160kg x 1 --> 170kg x 1

I have really enjoyed following this program, and would 100% recommend it. It has given me so much. I would like to once again thank @aciampa for writing such a great program and @Anna C for such great support along the way. And I want to thank everyone that has read and offered support on here during the last 8 weeks.

Have a strong day everyone! :)

Fantastic! I can't wait for your SFG I. You are in great shape! But don't worry, there is no such thing as "too ready".

Your log is a great example of scaling this SFG Prep program for an average/strong male. So, thanks for that! I still get inquiries about it, and I will provide a link to your log to those who may benefit.

Fantastic! I can't wait for your SFG I. You are in great shape! But don't worry, there is no such thing as "too ready".

Your log is a great example of scaling this SFG Prep program for an average/strong male. So, thanks for that! I still get inquiries about it, and I will provide a link to your log to those who may benefit.
Thank you! I look forward to progressively bringing the time down further! :)
No rest for the wicked though, Levi has something brutal cooked up for me for the next 10 weeks! It's a shame I can't give away details, but I'm going to use the assessment you gave me at the end of the 10 weeks to keep seeing how I progress! :)

I'm glad my log can be of use and can help!

Today's session:

Snatch 100 @ 24kg
TGU @ 20kg

Notes:

•Snatch feeling good, my downswing felt really strong and helped set up the hip pop.

•TGU I focused on sliding my hand down from my hip to knee and then to floor to help get into position.

Last edited:
Congratulations on such great progress! I am also interested in progressing my double kb lifts so maybe I will give it a shot :)
The great thing was twice a week double cleans & Squats really made a difference. About half way through the program 2 x 24kg went from challenging to feeling a bit light. I upped the weight and progressively felt better as I went on too. I feel I could squat heavier, but it's the Clean to rack which is the biggest challenge as I upped to bells :)

I first of all was unsure when I started as I had just started ROP, but this program similarly hits the press well, with the added benefit of working all the other qualities along the way! I believe I've achieved more with this than I would have with running ROP :)

Today's session:

DBFSQ 25 total reps @ 2 x 32kg
Double kettlebell Swing 70 total reps @ 2 x 24kg

Notes:

•Squats felt good, no issues there. Focusing on neutral spine and tension throughout lift.

•Double swings felt good, first time I tried them I could get to shoulder height, no problems this time as my hinge strength has gone up.

Heavy bells in the DBFSQ. I'm almost feel this tension and weights in rack position. Good workout. Have a strong day too.

DBFSQ 25 total reps @ 2 x 32kg
Double kettlebell Swing 70 total reps @ 2 x 24kg
Solid work! How do you feel going from 2x24 to 2x32 Lee? I have these pairs and 24s are quite easy on swings, cleans and presses and medium on squats. Double 32s are heavy on swings, cleans and presses and very heavy on squats for me. A big jump. I am looking for a program to progress from 24s through DYI 28s to 32s. In other words I want to make 24s very easy and 32s just medium-heavy - this way I can start RoTK program confidently. Do you think that this SFG prep program can make it or there are better options?

I first of all was unsure when I started as I had just started ROP, but this program similarly hits the press well, with the added benefit of working all the other qualities along the way! I believe I've achieved more with this than I would have with running ROP :)

It was great for me yesterday to meet another Master SFG yesterday (Jason Marshall) who was familiar with the program from the article. He also thinks highly of it and said he had used it on a trainee himself. That's in addition to Master SFG Lance Coffel, my SFG II team leader, who was also familiar with it and called it brilliant. That's some pretty high powered praise for Al's program!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom