all posts post new thread

Lee's Training Log: SFG1 Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Heavy bells in the DBFSQ. I'm almost feel this tension and weights in rack position
Thank you :) Yea I can't think of anything else I've tried that's as challenging as racking the weights for time. Definitely feel worked afterwards :)
Solid work!
Thank you :)
How do you feel going from 2x24 to 2x32 Lee?
My legs are recovering quickly between workouts, my biggest challenge is in getting to the rack position. I'm finding other variations better too, for example I was in my kitchen and I nailed 2 per side on the airborne lunge earlier just milling around. Last time I did this I had to have forward movement to get out of the bottom position.
I am looking for a program to progress from 24s through DYI 28s to 32s
I think the 28's are a great idea, that's what I used too. So with the program I've just done I did 2 sessions a week 5 x 5 Squats & cleans, naturally they got easier and my time to complete them decreased too. Then I jumped up to the 28's as they were feeling like a deload workout. I would say it was about 4 weeks in or 8 squat sessions when I felt I was at 5-6 RPE, and stepped up to 28's at 7-8 RPE which slowly came down through the penultimate weeks.
In other words I want to make 24s very easy and 32s just medium-heavy
If you completed the Squats in the above manner twice a week I don't see why you wouldn't get the same effect over time. (Disclaimer) I did work up to a 120kg barbell squat (nothing special) a few years back, this may have helped speed the progression up.
Do you think that this SFG prep program can make it or there are better options?
Difficult to say if there's better options, I can only mention what I've tried. However the program I've done did give me great results in Squats as well as improve on a miriad of other movements that I feel I may not have got if I'd done ROP. You could add those sessions in on variety days but I know you're already doing quite a lot on your variety days with pttp 2.0.

The great piece of the program is the sum of all the parts. You are doing great with your pressing (quite envious :)), this program will still give you high volume and progression. Swings and grip strength on the longer sessions will be a good challenge and your conditioning will improve. Farmers walks will do great things for your forearms (after you've put them down ;)). You would train the deadlift twice a week, which I know you enjoy (I can't comment on how this progresses as I didn't have access to a bar) @Anna C may be able to chip in here, my numbers still went up though. TGU's were nicely placed as I was struggling to keep up with them on ROP. And the squat and cleans were business as usual after the first few weeks. As you can see, pretty much all the qualities were worked at least twice a week and covered a lot of ground.

For example total tension complex springs to mind for double bells, I'd love to do the program at some stage, but you may not want to give up the deadlifts and a few other qualities at the moment. So the above may fit in nicely.

I'm currently starting a program written by Levi Markwardt, and my Squats are going to be done once a week for the 10 week duration of the program... I'll let you know how a reduced volume but higher intensity plan with double bells pans out as I go along :)

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
It was great for me yesterday to meet another Master SFG yesterday (Jason Marshall) who was familiar with the program from the article. He also thinks highly of it and said he had used it on a trainee himself. That's in addition to Master SFG Lance Coffel, my SFG II team leader, who was also familiar with it and called it brilliant. That's some pretty high powered praise for Al's program!
Wow that's amazing! I'm so grateful that I asked your advice on whether or not to go on the SFG1 course or not? Otherwise I wouldn't have stepped into such good programming :)
Another thing, I've been doing 1 - 2 rounds with a light bell of simply sinister as a warmup. Great for priming the whole body and getting the heart rate up!

Last edited:
I think the 28's are a great idea, that's what I used too. So with the program I've just done I did 2 sessions a week 5 x 5 Squats & cleans, naturally they got easier and my time to complete them decreased too. Then I jumped up to the 28's as they were feeling like a deload workout. I would say it was about 4 weeks in or 8 squat sessions when I felt I was at 5-6 RPE, and stepped up to 28's at 7-8 RPE which slowly came down through the penultimate weeks.

If you completed the Squats in the above manner twice a week I don't see why you wouldn't get the same effect over time. [...] You could add those sessions in on variety days but I know you're already doing quite a lot on your variety days with pttp 2.0.

Thank you, I will add them on my variety days and PTP sessions. Will just do 5x5 with 24s and when they start to feel easy I will change to 28s, and so on. Presses and swings are good on 32s, but cleans and squats horrible - I will focus on them :)

The great piece of the program is the sum of all the parts. You are doing great with your pressing (quite envious :)), this program will still give you high volume and progression. Swings and grip strength on the longer sessions will be a good challenge and your conditioning will improve. Farmers walks will do great things for your forearms (after you've put them down ;)). You would train the deadlift twice a week, which I know you enjoy (I can't comment on how this progresses as I didn't have access to a bar) @Anna C may be able to chip in here, my numbers still went up though. TGU's were nicely placed as I was struggling to keep up with them on ROP. And the squat and cleans were business as usual after the first few weeks. As you can see, pretty much all the qualities were worked at least twice a week and covered a lot of ground.

Thank you! I really like to press things overhead, but I am very weak in other movements and my endurance sucks. A lot of work to do!
It really looks like this is a good, well-rounded program! I will have to make a very tough decisions after my RoP cycle! There's so many fun things to do!

Today's session:

Snatches 120 @ 24kg
TGU 5/5 @ 32kg

Notes:

•Snatches felt crisp, and feel good, I'll record them next time to review how it looks.

•Get ups felt good, I feel I'm getting the positioning on the way down better. That to me is good progress. I'll record these too.

Have a strong day everyone!

Today's session:

DBFSQ 25 total reps @ 2 x 32kg
Double kettlebell Swing 70 total reps @ 2 x 24kg

Notes:

•Squats felt good, no issues there. Focusing on neutral spine and tension throughout lift.

•Double swings felt good, first time I tried them I could get to shoulder height, no problems this time as my hinge strength has gone up.

That is some solid work on the DBFSQ!

Yesterday's session:

DBL Press 25 total reps @ 2 x 28kg
1h Swings 86 total reps @ 32kg

Today's session:

Snatch 140 total reps @ 24kg
TGU 24kg & 20kg

Notes:

•Double presses felt great, and a nice change of pace after using a single bell for a while.

•Swings were crisp, and progressing nicely.

•Snatch was good, grip held up nicely. Just getting used to higher volume.

•Get ups were on point, my alignment was much better on these.

Today's session:

DBFSQ 5, 5, 4, 3, 3 @ 2 x 36kg PR!
Double Swings 100 @ 2 x 24kg

Notes:

•Squats felt great, biggest challenge was the double cleans. They got better as I went on, the more I practice with this weight they better they'll get. Squats took about 30mins today.

•Swings felt good, in fact they felt really good after doing cleans with 2 36's

Ok so it's been a hard decision to make but I'm going to park the program that I'm currently running for the time being. The volume of heavy snatches has been a bit too much and I've again torn a callous. I'm going to move onto Brett Jones SFG1 Prep program for the time being, as I still get snatch practice in, but it calls for a lighter day which will help me get better form. And I'll work up from there. I'm still 4 months out so plenty of time. Also I can log all the workouts as I do them, I haven't enjoyed being sketchy with reps / sets and rest times. I will definitely return to the program, perhaps after I've spent 3 days with quality instruction I will be in a better place.

Thank you @Mike Harrison! Means a lot, I hate stopping mid plan, especially after following through to simple and SFG Prep plan.

Today's session:

Snatch Prep Day 1

Get Ups 2 x 2/2
SL Deadlift 2 x 5/5
Superset @ 24kg

2h Swings 10 x 10 OTM @ 40kg

Notes:

•Hamstrings felt tight on deadlifts

•Swings were harder than expected

It looks like a smart decision! There is no need to rush, especially that you have some time until SFG.

Hope that your hand will heal quickly! I hate when such a tiny wound keep me out from training.

It looks like a smart decision! There is no need to rush, especially that you have some time until SFG.

Hope that your hand will heal quickly! I hate when such a tiny wound keep me out from training.
Thanks @damogari ! I think I'll leave the snatches this week to help speed up the healing process! And take it easy building up on the Sundays!

I hate stopping mid plan,
I hear that! it broke my heart stopping RoP and still have reservations about stopping. but my training was taking way more than it was giving... i think that is an indication that I wasn't ready for it yet.
I'm sure Brett's program is GREAT, it has to be- he is one of the heads of this company. Seems like you are making a good choice. good luck moving forward Lee and getting stronger!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom