all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Leg Abduction in the Lockout

Jacobcutt

Level 5 Valued Member
It seems abduction in the lockout in the kettlebell swings has just become a vital cue.

After getting to Timeless Simple, I have begun to work in the Bulldog. All the while, The Finish of the kettlebell swing never seemed to be as snappy as it might should be.

I met with an SFGII and one cue he mentioned, among the many things, the big takeaway is squeezing my feet together to finish the swing with that clean snappy lockout.

I had previously tried to add snap to the lockout by driving down, yet it led me to aggravate my knees by what I deduced was hyper extension.

Gripping the ground with my feet and squeezing in while finishing with the hips into that solid, standing plank has seemed to do the trick.

I'm sure it has been said many times in many ways, yet I never fully heard it til recently.

TWO MAJOR TAKEAWAYS:

Specifically:
If you're having trouble finishing a swing with the snap, try using a 'bringing the legs together' action during the stand up. (Your feet are still solidly planted, but you engage the inner thigh by 'pulling the legs together'.
I suppose my inner thigh was largely silent. Let's see what they have to say.

Generally:
Go see a Strongfirst Instructor once in a while. You can make good progress alone, but a second set of eyes will help.
Listen well. Try to find one thing to take home to integrate. You will likely gain more than that, but taking home one good cue can be enough.

'Adduction' (bringing legs together) is the term you're looking for here. But yeah, I can see potentially overdoing the knee lockout and different cueing would help eliminate that.

100% agree on getting a session or sessions with a StrongFirst Certified Instructor—can save a lot of time and direct your efforts much better.

Agree with Boris (I was typing while he was posting)—Adduction is the action of bringing a limb toward midline and it can be a good cue.

Adduction is the action of bringing a limb toward midline

If it might help anyone, before entering the world of exercise, I had never heard the word "adduction" but had heard of "abduction" in its meaning of something, being taken away, usually a person. (Kidnapping is abduction plus a money request.) So that's how I remember which is which: abduction is something being moved away, in this case from the center, and adduction is the opposite.

Jar gun. :)

-S-

Back
Top Bottom