all posts post new thread

Kettlebell LEG CONDITIONING FOR BOXING

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Most people seem to do very well with kettlebell swings. Some prefer snatches, although they are a little more technical. There are some general guidelines about weights, reps, and rest periods that have been shown to be very effective, but exactly what you want to do would depend on your personal situation. How much training have you had with kettlebells, do you have any injuries/movement issues, what other training are you doing (and how adjustable is it), and what exactly are you training for ("boxing" is a pretty broad category)?

Swings, goblet squats, 1 leg deadlift, crawls..

Do you do any sprints and footwork drills?

Hello,

As a former boxer when I was a student (I continue to train because I like it):

If you want to use a kettlebell:
=> swings
=> jump squats and / or jumping lunges
=> "lateral" squats

On bodyweight :
=> jumping rope (with some steps (1 right / 1 left - 2 right / 3 left - knees high, etc...)
=> ladder foot steps
=> burpees / jumping box

Kind regards,

Pet'

+1 to all pre posters.

Like pet', I used to box.

If you are looking for the movement that most closely emulates the "up on toes, "dancing", bouncy steps", that many boxers employ, two things above all others stand out
- Skipping rope for rounds as though you were fighting. The skipping step, bouncing on right foot, left back, left forward, bounce on left foot, right back right forward, to switching steps at an increasingly quicker pace, to high knee quick steps, then back to something slower, for the entire round. My old trainer made Juniors skip for five rounds and pros skip for ten rounds first thing upon entering the gym.
-Shadow boxing, up on toes, dancing, bouncy steps. Think of this as a martial arts kata, single jab, double jab, single jab, combo, etc. Again for rounds.
- Also, try to incorporate the dance for all your bag drills as well. At the beginning, it is almost as hard as just keeping your hands up for three minutes at a time. :]

Kettlebells have a HUGE carry over to most any physical endeavor, which I have learned recently. But nothing will teach you to float like floating. Whatever you do, remember to start small and slow, increase as allowed.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom