all posts post new thread

Less is More

Biggest improvement from corrective exercises:
It's as if I was only working with one hip before; my right hip is working far better. That is why my left side was always sore; it was trying to do the work of the right and left sides. I don't actually move much yet with the correctives, but it's helping a great deal.

It's always fun to read that intelligent and consistent work pays dividends :)

It's always fun to read that intelligent and consistent work pays dividends
It often does, but not always. Nothing is guaranteed :D

What impressed me is how quickly it yielded improvements. Probably because I'm a desk jockey, so anything that gets my hips and upper back moving close to normal is good!

Up 6:00
SFG Prep, week 8

Planned day off

Rib pulls, brettzels, child's pose rotation, kb arm bar, kb crooked arm bar

What impressed me is how quickly it yielded improvements.

Neural facilitation (which correctives are) works immediately. In Movement it is said that it is easy to know if you apply the right corrective strategy by just doing a test-retest. If there is no improvement than switch exercise/strategy. This is basically how (and why) warm ups / movement prep works.

Up 6:00, train 7:30
SFG Prep, week 9

Warm up:

• 2 rounds: Brettzel rib pull, brettzel regular, child's pose rotation, arm bar, crooked arm bar
  • 3 rounds: Gob sq
  • t-rex high pulls 20k 2s x 5r
  • THS: 16k x 5r, 20k x 5r
THE SNATCH:
20k x 16s x 5r
interval 1:20

Focus:
Locking out smoothly by:
- hips and knees locking at once
- kid in class lockout cue

Smooth reversal by:
- flicking the bell down
- attitude of flicking dominantly; owning it
- deep back swing; chest up & pushed out + reaching back deeply

Isn't the snatch great? :)

Up 7:00, train 11:00
SFG Prep, week 9

Warm up:

• 2 rounds: Brettzel rib pull, brettzel regular, child's pose rotation, arm bar, crooked arm bar
  • 3 rounds: Gob sq, Halos (10k, 16k, 16k)
  • THS's
OHS:
10s x 10r
32, 32, 40 or 51% bdw, 32, 32
Last 4 sets thumbless grip

TGU:
5s x 1r
28, 28, 32, 28, 28
interval 4:00

Overall focus:
Not sure how to describe this, but I have more space in my lower abs/groin now. Portions of the moves I had to pull myself into before now happen automatically so I over compensated at first. After a few adjustments, I felt GREAT.

This cycle and next I'll be focusing on adding sets to The Snatch days and adding weight on SaS days.

Up 6:00, train 9:30
SFG Prep, week 9

Warm up:

Brettzel rib pull, brettzel regular, child's pose rotation, arm bar, crooked arm bar.
Goblet squats, two hand swings, t-rex high pulls, one leg deadlift

THE SNATCH:
20k x 20s x 5r
Focus:
Same focus as Friday, plus initiating the drop by beginning with a slight flick of the wrist to get the bell moving.
Heart rate did not get going until about set 16.

As of now, I consider my 8 week Basic Snatch Preparation a success. As I hinted at yesterday, the next 4 weeks focus will be on building:
- SaS with 40k
- Snatching 20k x 100r in 5:00.

SaS with 40k will make the 24k SFG1 snatch bell feel like a toy.

I will keep the 4 on / 1 off training schedule, alternating SaS days and Snatch days. If I'm dragging my tail on one of the 4 scheduled training days, I'll use SaS off day training as a band aid (10x10 THS, paused TGU). I'll also keep the 'crazy switch' days every two weeks.

I will keep the 16/8 IF most days (easy peasy just skip breakfast!), but I will no longer count calories. If I am hungry I will eat.​

If my waist is still <= 32" on 9/21/2017, I may run this longer than 4 weeks.

Today:
Planned day off of lifting.

Mobility Complex:
Brettzel rib pull, brettzel regular, child's pose rotation, arm bar, crooked arm bar.

Long walk in the morning sun after!

Up 5:45, train 7:30
SFG Prep, week 9

Warm up:

• Brettzel rib pull, brettzel regular, child's pose rotation, arm bar, crooked arm bar
  • Gob sq, Halos
  • THS's
OHS:
10s x 10r
32, 32, 40, 32, 32
Takes me until 1:00 for heart rate to simmer down

TGU:
5s x 1r
28, 28, 32, 28, 28
interval 4:00
Takes me until 3:30 for heart rate to simmer down

Swing Focus:
  • Keeping spine tall while getting a deep back swing.
    • Basically, letting my hip flexors slide back to effortlessly move into the back swing.
    • This is another one of those things I had to force before, so it's more or less having faith in my strength and letting it happen on it's own
  • Controlling the left side better by gripping the bell deeper into the hook and less into the palm
Get-up Focus:
  • Now that my t-spine is moving effortlessly, I'm aware that my hips are not moving optimally.
    • I need to take a day to run paused 16k's to diagnose where the holes are at
  • It's so easy to use my lats on this movement now, helps with the bridge

Up 6:00, train 9:30
SFG Prep, week 9

Warm up:

Goblet squats, two hand swings, t-rex high pulls, one leg deadlift

THE SNATCH:
Only got two sets in. Pain underneath the callouses in my left hand stopped me in my tracks. Caused a reflexive opening of the hand.

Pain underneath the callouses in my left hand stopped me in my tracks.

Solution: sand down the callouses until you don't have any, or at least the skin is barely thicker than the rest of your hand. Have you tried 120 grit sanding disk? It's my go to...

Solution: sand down the callouses until you don't have any, or at least the skin is barely thicker than the rest of your hand. Have you tried 120 grit sanding disk? It's my go to...
I've been using the Mr Pumice stone...the tops of the pads are smooth, but you are right - they're far too thick. I'll try the 120 grit sanding disc. With the pumice stone, I can't take off enough material. The skin around the callous blisters before enough of the callous is knocked down.

Thanks for the ProTip!

And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

Up 5:45, train 7:30
SFG Prep, week 9

Warm up:

• Gob sq, Halos
THS:
10s x 10r
interval 1:00

TGU:
5s x 1r, paused 3 seconds
rest 1:00 between
Hmm, nothing illuminating here. I did notice I was having trouble slowly hinging back to the post on the way down. I've cut out the QL straddles recently, might need to add those back.

This sounds silly when I say it out loud...took an off day to let the skin on my hands recover. I ordered 120 grit sandpaper discs with some amazon credits I had. Yesterday was disappointing, as I felt really good. But I am grateful, as this last entire month of training has been superb. This week has been weird all around :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Back
Top Bottom