all posts post new thread

Less is More

Now, I just need to find a place to do them during the week that won't freak out my co-workers......o_O;):D

I stopped caring about freaking people out with OS stuff... They are way more effective than other people's opinion of me :)

I rock at work and do all sorts of OS stuff and crawl at the beach... On Sunday saw to elderly people try to crawl after me :) And last weeks some teenagers crashed into my beach volleyball practice movement prep section and joined us rolling :)

Up 6:15, train 8:15
SFG Prep, week 10

Warm up:
Commando Rocks, Brettzel rib pull, brettzel regular, child's pose rotation, arm bar, crooked arm bar.
Goblet squats, two hand swings, halos

OHS:

10s x 10r
interval 1:15​

TGU:
5s x 1r
interval 4:00
Wore my rehband blue elbow sleeves today. Far easier on my elbows on the grippy carpet.
Swing Focus:
Locking the breath/hips/knees/ankles all at once
Holding the plank

Get-up Focus:
Found the cause of my hip woes, or at least a work around. When I lunge back, after cramping the back leg glute, I need to rotate the forward leg out a bit. This allows me to get a much stronger hinge. I learned this at the KB course, but got out of the habit.

I love putting on deodorant. Great opportunity to do some 'mirin on my lovely lats.

Up 6:15, train 8:45
SFG Prep, week 11
Semi-crazy switch day/trial run week of kicking S&S days up to 32k while keeping snatch 20k

Warm up:
Commando Rocks, Brettzel rib pull, brettzel regular, child's pose rotation, arm bar, crooked arm bar.
Goblet squats, two hand swings, halos​

OHS:

10s x 10r
interval 1:00
Rest:
1:45​

TGU:
5s x 1r
interval 3:00
Swing Focus:
Breath mastery, holding the plank, locking breath/hips/knees/ankles at once while pulling myself straight and true​

Get-up Focus:
When my right hand has the weight in it, my left hip has been popping on the downward hinge.
It's beginning to get frustrating, but the root cause is something to do with getting the forward leg out a bit more while pulling my lower abs up extra hard. This pulls my hips underneath of me that final little bit that helps so much.
Did this on the last two reps and it corrected the issue, though it took a great deal of focus.​
I noticed that since my t-spine has gotten healthier, it exposed a need to utilize my lower abs more effectively in the swing and get-up.
It's also likely that learning the snatch has my hips in a higher overall state of fatigue, which simply exposed a weakness that would have went unnoticed with S&S alone.​
So: Gotta focus big time on pulling those lower abs up to pull the hips underneath of my body more.​

Last edited:
It's beginning to get frustrating
Why? You are very diligent and keep exposing your own holes in the armor. Than you always forge a better armor... Than you look for the next hole :)

This is the path to strength, and you my friend are staying right on course. Aware, patient, smart.

Up 5:55, train 8:15
SFG Prep, week 11

Warm up:

THE SNATCH:
14s x 5r
First four sets 16k
Rest 20k
I had planned 16 sets, but the left hand callouses were sore from yesterday. I shut it down before they became a problem.
Focus:
The focus of everything today was utilizing the lower abs. Warmups: feeling how the moves felt when I did/did not contract the lower abs. The goblet squat especially was improved by the increased focus on the lower abs. I was able to squat straight down, instead of having to set the hips back first.
Surprisingly, with The Snatch, focusing on the lower abs leveled up the lift a couple notches. It especially helped keep the lift straight and true, which you might imagine made everything easier.​

It's as if there is a contest between keeping the lower abs pulled tight and keeping my spine tall. In the balance of the two lies my strength. Pretty cool.

@Steve Freides,
Is there a way to permalink to the most recent entry in my training log?
Instead of having to update my bookmark across my devices to have the most recent page, example:
  • .strongfirst.com /community/threads/less-is-more.6495/page-44
  • strongfirst.com /community/threads/less-is-more.6495/page-45
Is there something like
Thanks.
Yes but you can't always see it from a phone. There is a post number lower right. Click on that and you get a link to your specific post.

Tag me again if you can't figure it out.

As to last post, I'm not sure but will investigate.

-S-

@Steve Freides,
Is there a way to permalink to the most recent entry in my training log?
Instead of having to update my bookmark across my devices to have the most recent page, example:
  • .strongfirst.com /community/threads/less-is-more.6495/page-44
  • strongfirst.com /community/threads/less-is-more.6495/page-45
Is there something like
Thanks.
There is one more option.

Code:
strongfirst.com/community/threads/less-is-more.6495/unread
This will take each user to the first post they haven't read - perhaps this closer to what you want.

-S-

Up 5:55, train 7:45
SFG Prep, week 11

Warm up:
Arm Bar, Crooked Arm Bar

THS:
10s x 10r
TGU:
5s x 1r
interval 3:00​

I was a bit off this morning. Was not going to train at all, but I am so glad I trained!

Swing Focus:
Pulling lower abs into it, locking out early and in sync​

Get-up Focus:
I learned today that I do a good job of pulling the lower abs into the movement when I brace, but I lose them in the transition. Therefore, the focus was in feeling out the transitions and what was causing me to lose the lower ab tightness. After playing around with it, I arrived at the conclusion that I simply need to take my time and be cognizant of my ab tightness a bit more.​

Up 6:00
Today: Unweighted mobility only

This stuff feels so good, and helps me recenter physically and mentally.
OS Rocks
Rib Pulls
Brettzels
Toes/Feet/Ankles
Downward Dog
Child's Pose Rotations
Things at work are very...strange. My Spider Sense is tingling. I used my usual training time/caffeine to start a contingency plan.

SFG Prep, week 11

Warm up:
Arm Bar, Crooked Arm Bar

THS:
10s x 10r
interval 1:00​
TGU:
5s x 1r
interval 3:00
Braking for the curves! Nice maintance session. Swings were extra crisp - focusing on that early lockout is working nicely. Get-ups are improving, I'm using the lower abs better.

SFG Prep, week 12

Warm up:
Toshner mobility complex
Goblet squats, two hand swings, halos, t-rex high pulls​

The Snatch:
10s x 10r
No interval, breathed until I was ready (about 15-20 breaths)​

I noticed today that the hips must stay locked FAR longer than they do in the swing. This is an important realization, as my training template didn't allow for the increased load on the hips. I felt a lot better about the past few weeks struggles when this lightbulb finally went off.

As I move into lockout, I'm visualizing the movement as the Fingal's Fingers - I lock the breath/hips/knees/ankle as early as I can, then the straight arm moves into lockout like the Fingal's Fingers moving from the ground to perpindicular to the ground.

The knees are a good indicator of whether or not I'm getting enough 'chestup & stretched foward/hips back' in the bottom. If I am not getting that right, the knees feel strained. But when I nail it the knees move effortlessly.

Feeling grateful for learning several powerful lessons today!

Back
Top Bottom