Toshner mobility complex
Goblet squats, halos​

OHS:
10s x 10r
interval 1:15​
TGU:
5s x 1r
interval 4:00
Exciting discovery in the TGU! I realized today that I was, on the weighted side, twisting forward significantly. This is why my hips were popping - they were trying to pull themselves back where they were supposed to be. I remedied this by using my torso muscles on the weighed side to keep my body over the hip. Basically, when you're in the fetal position getting ready to roll over to floor press the bell up, think of the chunk of the torso on the ground being pulled back in alignment with the hips...and then keep that alignment throughout the movement as much as possible.

I learned this from the brettzels, rib pulls, OS commando rocks, and The Snatch. With the brettzels and rib pulls you need to focus on keeping the hips stacked on top of each other. On the commando rocks, I learned when my hips were communicating that I was out of alignment. The Snatch, with the extra long hip lockout also helped me learn what the hips were communicating.

The OHS also helped with the TGU, as I corrected a much less erroneous twist there today first, which helped apply it to the TGU.

Up 6:00, train 9:00
SFG Prep, week 12

Warm up:
Toshner mobility complex
Goblet squats, two hand swings, halos, t-rex high pulls​

The Snatch:
2s x 5r 16k
4s x 5r 20k
Had to shut it down early, pain underneath callouses causing the hand to involuntarily open again.
Tried cotton gloves on the last two sets, still painful then.
What a disappointment after the awesome day I had yesterday. I don't understand; I have practically no callous on my hands. I've been keeping them sanded down and using hand cream. But, I'm simply outpacing the ability of my skin to recover from the stress I put on it even using these methods.

I'm usually good for 3 days; may have to bring things back another notch and do 3 kb days/1 aerobic day.

Or it could be that I simply need a deload period where I do only mobility work for the day and maybe a walk. This isn't improbable, as I don't remember when last I had a down week...it was at least 12 weeks ago.

Or it could be that I simply need a deload period where I do only mobility work for the day and maybe a walk. This isn't improbable, as I don't remember when last I had a down week...it was at least 12 weeks ago

I know you usually "break before the curves" as you say, but some times you just need to take the foot of the gas pedal on the straights as well :)

And skin can be a bitch... Justa warns from hurting the skin when discussing the hands & thighs lift (1/4 DL) in Rock, Iron, Steel. He advise to shut down a session the moment you feel skin issues. If I remember correctly he lost some two weeks periods of training from broken skin. So good call.

It sounds like it could be time for a deload.......maybe a day or two, some hand/callous maintenance, and some mobility work might just be the answer.......

Or it could be that I simply need a deload period where I do only mobility work for the day and maybe a walk. This isn't improbable, as I don't remember when last I had a down week...it was at least 12 weeks ago.

Reload day #2
Up 7:30
SFG Prep, week 12
Slept in until 730! Almost 10 hours of sleep. Did close to the same yesterday. This makes me wonder if my high stress levels lately are what caused the need for the reload, and not the training. Hmm.

Body weight mobility work only
  • OS Commando Rocks
    • How are these things so awesome? They look so silly, but work so amazingly well.
  • Rib Pull
  • Brettzel
  • Child's pose rotation
  • Toes/Feet/Ankles
  • Downward Dog

If you like commando rocks I bet you'll enjoy them.
Ha, I forgot about these until I was updating my log. I meant to run them this morning. I'll check them out this evening!

Reload day #3
Up 7:45
SFG Prep, week 12

Man, I have been sleeping like the dead! I'll have to hit my mobility work tonight. Feeling quite good, might train tomorrow.

I just saw this today (and this a while back). If you like commando rocks I bet you'll enjoy them. Roll & rock on :)
These are gold as well!
I'm thinking I may add these at night as part of my stretching!

Tonight I ran these before my QL Straddles, 90/90s, and downward dogs. I'm simultaneously flabbergasted and humbled that such a seemingly simple thing can work so well.

It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Antifragile:
"The Arabs have an expression for trenchant prose: no skill to understand it, mastery to write it."​

Up 4:30, train 7:30

Today was all about filming my form in the Big Six from the front & side.

Snatch
4s x 2r each with 16, 20, 24, 28, 32​

One Hand Swing
4s x 5r​

Clean
4s x 2r with 24k
These need work

Press
4s x 2r with 24k​

Squat
4s x 2r with 24k​

Getup
2s x 1r with 24k
Long walk in the morning sun afterwards.

Up 5:00, train 6:30
30 weeks until Chicago SFG1

Warm up:
Commando rocks
Toshner mobility complex
Goblet squats, two hand swings, halos​

The Snatch:
16s x 5r
After training I realized I developed 3 blisters, and I tore two of them on the last sets. They developed deeper in my palm than where my callouses are.
Disappointing, but the rest of the lift has never felt better. Crisp, smooth, controlled.

TGU:
1s x 1r
24k​

Conditioning:
25 min brisk walk in the morning sun!​

Last edited:
Up 5:00, train 6:45
30 weeks until Chicago SFG1

Warm up:
Commando rocks
Toshner mobility complex​

Conditioning:
60 min brisk walk in the morning sun!
Mr. Al Ciampa graciously agreed to take me on as a student of strength. I'm grateful to have him in my corner as I prep for SFG1! You'll be seeing a bit more heavy snatching from me.

Oh, and 100% more kar-dee-oh :)

Mr. Al Ciampa graciously agreed to take me on as a student of strength. I'm grateful to have him in my corner as I prep for SFG1! You'll be seeing a bit more heavy snatching from me.

Super smart move!! You'll do great and you've got the best coach available, IMO. :)

Back
Top Bottom