all posts post new thread

Less is More

25 weeks until Chicago SFG1

Warm up
Toes/feet/ankles, downward dog, arm rotations, OS rocks
Gob Squats/Halos
Conditioning:
55 min walk
Finally getting my breath timing down; 3 steps inhale 3 steps exhale kept my pace quick. Also played with 3 steps inhale 6 steps exhale.
  • Yuck! It was about 35 degrees, very windy, rainy, with sleet thrown in for good measure!!!
  • The wind that is oh-so-delightful in the summer around the lake by my walking path is oh-so-murderous in the winter.
  • I'm going to need a face mask (maybe a wool balaclava?), ski pants, and ski coat for when it gets cold.
  • My feet were toasty, so the training boots I bought should hold up for everything but deep snow.
I was worried my feet would hurt with the new boots, but they held up fine.

Saturday afternoon & Sunday: Breathing practice

25 weeks until Chicago SFG1

Breathing Practice
Level 2, 1 round​

Warm up

Commando rocks, toes/feet/ankles, downward dog
Arm & shoulder rotations
Gob squats, halos​

The Snatch
2s x 5r 16k
20s x 5r 24k!
Interval 1:30​

Conditioning:
None; I forgot to take into account the 15 minutes of breathing practice so I had no time to do the conditioning before work.
Failboat, *toot toot*!
Of course got a blister in each palm on the last set of snatches :D
I need to figure out how to tell the difference between "my skin is getting hot" and "my skin is about to blister". A fine line, this is.
Oh well. I'm pleased to have managed the 20s x 24k with plenty of room to spare.

I'm noticing I feel tired the day after snatches when I fail to do the aerobic work after the snatch session. The small aerobic session after the alacitic snatch work does wonders for recharging your batteries.

178 days until Chicago SFG1

Breathing Practice
Level 3, 1 round​

Warm up

Commando rocks, toes/feet/ankles, downward dog​

Conditioning:
45 minute walk
As the breathing practice is a bit challenging for me, I cut back 15 minutes of the cardio today. The positive spin on doing this conditioning in the cold - I have no trouble keeping a quick pace. The cold weather supremely motivates me to move fast to stay warm :)

177 days until Chicago SFG1

Breathing Practice
1 round Level 4
1 round Level 5​

Warm up

I was stiff this morning, lots of warm ups
Rib pull, brettzel, childs pose rotation, arm bar, crooked arm bar
Commando rocks, rotating commando rocks, toes/feet/ankles, downward dog​

No KBs
I failed to plan for the breathing practice again. Need to get my new routine down.​

Conditioning:
20 minute walk​

176 days until Chicago SFG1
Blisters haven't healed enough to play with The Snatch, so I took a S&S 'off-day' :D

Breathing Practice
1 round Level 6​
Warm up
Commando rocks, rotating commando rocks, toes/feet/ankles, downward dog
Pelvic tilts, arm rotations
Gob sq, halos​
THS
10s x 10r 24k
1:00 interval​
TGU
5s x 1r 24k
3:00 interval​
Conditioning:
20 minute walk
I love two hand swings.

XLIII. "How do I love Two Hand Swings? Let me count the ways..."
By The Nail (1980's - still kickin')

How do I love Two Hand Swings? Let me count the ways.
I love swinging to depth of hinge and tall spine and plank
My soul can reach, when feeling back of hinge
For the ends of Bracing and ideal Plank.
I love thee to the level of chest high
Most quiet swing, by sun and candle-light.
I two hand swing freely, as men strive for Right;
I two hand swing purely, as they turn from Praise.
I swing fast with Lats put to use
In my strong hands chalked, and with my iron grip's faith.
I two hand swing with a love I seemed to lose
With my abs braced, --- I swing with the breath inhale through nose,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but two hand swing better after death.​

Last edited:
Day off of work :D

175 days until Chicago SFG1

Breathing Practice
Level 7, 1 round
This works nicely before training, tho today's was a bit intense.

Warm up

Arm & shoulder rotations
Gob squats, halos​

The Snatch
2s x 5r 16k
10s x 5r 24k
Interval 1:30
I'm realizing how much control I have over the drop. The lift moves fast, but I'm able to slow it down in my head now and make on the fly adjustments. Progress!

THS
4s x 10r 24k
Just going for 100 total hip hinges

TGU
1s x 1r 24k
I just like to get-up :)

The lift moves fast, but I'm able to slow it down in my head now and make on the fly adjustments. Progress!

That's great. Slowing fast things down is a sign of mastery. I know that when I play beach volleyball badly it's mostly in days I can't slow the game down in my head...

174 days until Chicago SFG1

Breathing Practice
Level 8, 2 rounds back to back
This was a really good session. I'm able to calm my mind and listen to my Strong Heart Beat. Pretty cool!

Warm up

OS Commando rocks, rocking commando rocks, toes/feet/ankles, downward dog
Toshner Mobility Complex​

Conditioning
Walk, 68 minutes
Shaved 7 minutes off my route time
44 degrees, rainy as hell with a cold blowing wind; I was motivated to walk fast.
Not sure if it was the weather, the 2 rounds of breathing practice, or the pace but this was tiring!
Probably the weather, as it was yucky out.
Most of the walk I used a 3 step inhale/3 step exhale, but on the last leg I had to switch to 2/2.

Time for a bacon cheeseburger + nap :)

172 days until Chicago SFG1

Breathing Practice
Level 9, 1 round
Great session. These are getting rather intense.

Warm up

Arm & shoulder rotations
Gob squats, halos​

The Snatch
2s x 5r 16k
4s x 5r 24k :(
Interval 1:30
Skin started to pull apart. Luckily, it was only the dead skin around the old blisters, but I still shut it down early.
TGU
1s x 1r 28k
THS
4s x 10r 28k​

Conditioning
Walk, 20 minutes​

Moderate drinking is good for the heart. Why won’t public health admit it?
"You should not be told to choose exercise or moderate drinking. They are complementary. The evidence shows that even if you exercise regularly, eat healthily and don’t smoke, moderate alcohol consumption offers additional benefits that teetotal health fanatics do not enjoy. "

Welp, guess I have to choke down 1-2 glasses of red wine tonight with dinner :D:D

I am liking this article.....looks like a few "units" of beer may be consumed this evening playing darts.....

It is deeply patronising to assume that we will drink ourselves to death if Public Health England gives us permission to have a couple of bottles of wine every week.

Moderate drinking is good for the heart. Why won’t public health admit it?
"You should not be told to choose exercise or moderate drinking. They are complementary. The evidence shows that even if you exercise regularly, eat healthily and don’t smoke, moderate alcohol consumption offers additional benefits that teetotal health fanatics do not enjoy. "

Welp, guess I have to choke down 1-2 glasses of red wine tonight with dinner :D:D

171 days until Chicago SFG1

Breathing Practice
Level 9, 2 rounds
My 2:00 very little breathing periods after the breath holds are improving. I rarely have to tamp down panicky breathing right after the breath holds now. I got a cold (slightly runny nose), so the breath holds are challenging right now - as soon as I feel the radioactive goo start to slide down the back of my throat I get an intense urge to swallow which of course messes with the breath holds.

Warm up

Commando rocks, downward dog​

Conditioning
Walk, 45 minutes
Beautiful sunny morning. Cold & windy, but no precipitation so it was comparatively nice. Left foot is unusually sore, so I cut back the time a bit.

Did you get a balaclava yet? I was looking for one, and saw this one at Wal-Mart. It is reversible, and I think the safety orange would be best around here....:eek:o_O;):D

5654d76f-dd29-4f0c-9578-c44d1b7f9bea_1.33f2d6c9ae865814759d155f35b5c693.jpeg
7ce03767-1326-4f33-89c5-a5ba150f2757_1.ba776685f1d275eed92c1a8acb7c6c06.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom