all posts post new thread

Less is More

170 days until Chicago SFG1

I've run into a bit of a cold. Looking to get a nice A+A session with The Snatch tomorrow.

Breathing Practice
Level 10, 1 round​

Recovery Work

Toes/feet/ankles, downward dogs
OS commando rocks, side to side commando rocks
Rib pulls, brettzels, childs pose rotations
Arm bar, crooked arm bar​

5m 18d until Chicago SFG1

Definitely caught this cold bug that's going around at work. Called an audible; only recovery work today again.

Breathing Practice
Level 11, 2 rounds
One before mobility work at 6am, one after at 8am

Recovery Work

OS commando rocks, side to side commando rocks
Toes/feet/ankles, downward dogs
Rib pulls, brettzels, childs pose rotations
Arm bar, crooked arm bar​

Breathing Practice
Level 12, 1 round
This went well

Warm up

Downward dog, pelvic tilts, arm & shoulder rotations
Gob squats, halos​

The Snatch
2s x 5r 16k
10s x 5r 24k!
Interval 1:30
Pleased! Skin held up well, tho I did manage to knock some more dead skin off. :rolleyes:
I'm nailing the drop 90% of the time, which has exposed a need for a cleaner lockout. Focused on cleaning up the lockout today.
This StrongFirst article on correcting rib flare helped too. Helped me pack in a little bit tighter which lent it self to a more controlled drop.

Locomotion:
38 min walk
My '30 min' path is closed for the winter. Trying new paths to hit appropriate times.
16 degrees outside, snowing, windy.
I'm almost ready to turn these locomotion sessions into rucking.

It's important to remember that improvement is relative! I am grateful for the improvements I made this year. I still have work to do, but I will get there!

Slacker..........ya should have done more, it is Friday!

Locomotion:
38 min walk
My '30 min' path is closed for the winter. Trying new paths to hit appropriate times.
16 degrees outside, snowing, windy.
I'm almost ready to turn these locomotion sessions into rucking.

;):D;):D;):D;):D;):D;):D;):D;):D;):D;):D;):D

Buteyko Breathi Practice
Level 12, 2 rounds
This went well

Warm up

Toes/feet/ankles, downward dog, arm & shoulder rotations
Rib pull, brettzel, childs pose rotation, arm bar, bent arm bar
This always feels amazing and really opens up the space between the bottom of my ribs and my groin.

Locomotion
65 min walk
Comparatively warm 28 degrees! Perhaps due to the cold, my lower back was quite stiff after this.
Cool Down
Commando Rocks, side to side Commando Rocks​

Chicago SFG1: 165 days
This morning was odd. I woke up feeling like hammered crap, so I called off of work. Decided to shower and do my breathing practice anyways. By the time I had done that and finished my tea, I felt fine. Odd, odd, odd.

Buteyko

Level 14, 1 round
Breath hold numbers aren't going up that much. However, my recovery between sets of snatches and my breathing during aerobic work is much improved.

Warm up

Pelvic tilts
Rib pull, brettzel, childs pose rotation
Arm bar, crooked arm bar, arm & shoulder rotations
Gob squats, halos, downward dog
This seems like a lot, but it goes quickly and opens up my hips and t-spine as if it were magic.

The Snatch
4s x 5r 16k
12s x 5r 24k!
Latest post tear PR! Heh. Added another set of 16k to warm up the elbows a bit better.
Chewed up my skin a bit, but stopped short of any tearing or blistering. I'm beginning to understand where the line is between 'hands are hot' and 'hands are going to tear!' Focus was on fine tuning the drop and discovering my strongest groove.

Locomotion
Walk, 35 min
According to my phone it was only 29 degrees, but 85% humidity. So this was actually a pleasant experience. I've enough control over my breathing now that I can focus on mechanics and take short fast strides, yet still get a good training effect by moderating my breathing. Cool!

Chicago SFG1: 164 days

Buteyko

Level 14, 1 round

Locomotion

Walk, 60 min
Another beautiful morning walk with the golden sun hitting the frosted morning grass! I've been lucky that the sun has been shining the past two mornings!
I don't know what my body weight is at, but my waist is holding steady at 32.5". Which is shocking, as I'm eating more food than an 800 pound tiger. And eating much more meat. The Buteyko breathing greatly reduced my craving for crappy foods, while at the same time making me crave fatty/protieny foods.

Nice work dude!
How you like those bent arm bars?
I started doing them and holy cow are they awesome!
I also started to doing the “A” frame stretch ( which is basically the same as the Down dog..... and doing to “the bear” walk and those have loosen up my hips.
Maybe give them a shot when you get a chance. Seems to be legit stuff for mobility in the hips. I saw on a GMB search. (Gold medal bodies)

Last edited:
How you like those bent arm bars?
They are phenomenal when done inside of the complex I use. By the time I execute the complex I must be 2" taller. They do wonders to undo the stiffness brought on by sitting all day.

I also started to doing the “A” frame stretch ( which is basically the same as the Dow dog..... and doing to “the bear” walk and those have h lose my hips.
Do you have any links?

Thanks!

Do you have any links?
try this one...

6 Proven Stretches for a Loose Back and a Healthy Spine | GMB Fitness

see if that one works for you .
It is #6 on this page.

If been really focusing on the "mobility" the past couple of weeks and feel I lack in this area and needs the most work for myself.

I'm going 'back to basics' for this part of my training and focusing on the details and plan to make this a staple of my training moving forward.... As I get older I am realizing the IMPORTANCE of this for myself and the key to a long life of moving well as long as possible!

let me know if you have any more questions I would be happy to share at all if I can...

No KBs or locomotion this morning. Planned day off.

AM Work:
Buteyko
Two Session: 15 & 14​
Commando rocks and side-to-side rocks​

PM Work:
Buteyko
Two sessions: 16 & 14​
Stretching
OS commando rocks
90/90
QL Straddle
Feeling good! Now time for dinner. Was nice to slack off this morning.

I'd like to make this PM Work session a daily thing.

Chicago SFG1: 161 days

Buteyko

Level 14, 1 round​

The Snatch

4s x 5r 16k
14s x 5r 24k!

"The Rule of Two: Always stop the snatching two sets short of what you think you can handle to keep the skin intact."

The Nail, Dark Lord of the Snatch
Locomotion
Walk, 20 min​

Last edited:
@The Nail Have you tried snatching the 28kg yet? It might allow you to get the same amount of sets in despite being heavier. Like Pavel Macek has said, sometimes doing sets with heavier weights actually improves your form. I found this to be true for myself to an extent.

Have you tried snatching the 28kg yet? It might allow you to get the same amount of sets in despite being heavier.
Not yet :)

My focus is building up the repeats with the 24k until I can average 30 over the week. My form isn't where it needs to be for the heavier bells. The heavier weights are coming though! A+A is known for running on the big snatch bells.

The biggest limiter is the skin on my hands. For now the 24k is plenty :cool:

Breaking for the curves...... :D;)

Not yet :)

My focus is building up the repeats with the 24k until I can average 30 over the week. My form isn't where it needs to be for the heavier bells. The heavier weights are coming though! A+A is known for running on the big snatch bells.

The biggest limiter is the skin on my hands. For now the 24k is plenty :cool:

Back
Top Bottom