all posts post new thread

Less is More

what would be considered
"low volume" snatch day...
and what would be considered
"high volume" snatch day...
I'm trying to work into 30 NR (sets of 5) now. I'd say anything over 20 NR is higher volume.

I'm in the early stages of A+A now though, so take that with a grain of salt. Perhaps @Anna C would like to comment?

I would agree with that, "anything over 20 NR is higher volume"; with 5 snatches per repeat, that's 100 in a session. I've done up to 500 snatches in a session with 12kg. 200 with a 24kg. Those were both high volume sessions.

Snatches just seem a bit more scalable than swings, both in weight you can snatch, and reps per set/repeat. Really depends on what you're used to, and your reps/sets scheme.

Snatches just seem a bit more scalable than swings, both in weight you can snatch, and reps per set/repeat.
Interesting. At what point did your skin start to scale?! 20 sets with the 20k is about all the skin on my hands can manage right now. My body can handle far more after getting Simple...but the skin is holding me back.

I have hardly ever had a skin problem. I don't know why. There are so many variables... The roughness or smoothness of the handle. How moist or dry your skin tends to be. Whether you use chalk. How thick your calluses are. Where the handle goes as you snatch, if it's creating friction at the points where the force is greatest. I've been pretty consistent in giving my hands a steady workout for 3-4 years now, and I also work to keep the calluses down so there's never much thickness. Gold Bond Ulitmate Hand Cream daily...

I have to admit as I continue to read you entries I am getting more and more interested in rucking.

I had this thought as I was driving home...
Rucking is like a form of farmer walks but for a much LONGER distance.
You need good form to support the pack on you back as opposed to holding the weights in your hands for short distances with good form.

I know this may be oversimplified but it is similar.

Grip video from recent Brett Jones article. It's a little more complex for snatches, but basic idea still applies.

Chicago SFG1: 128 days

Warmup
Ankle & big toe active stretching
Downward dog
After the ankle & toe stretching, I felt my lift hip shift back on these...letting me get a much deeper stretch into the calf. What a difference!
Usual gob sq/halos​

OHS
16k, 5r x 2s
20k, 5r x 2s
Just warming up the sore elbows

The Snatch
16k, 5r x 2s
20k, 5r x 10s
With the active stretching of the ankle and toe, I was able to track the knees and hips far better and finally nail down a squattier hinge. Fascinating!
@Anna C, the tip and the article worked GREAT.
StrongFirst Article: Essential Details for Proper Swing Grip and the Kettlebell Halo
<edit>
TGU
20k, 1s x 1r​
</edit>

A few choice quotes from Andrew Read's book Run Strong (emphasis mine):

"The foot is perhaps the most complex anatomical structure on the body, comprised of 26 bones, 33 joints, and more than 100 tendons, ligaments, and muscles. It is largely constructed around three arches, which provide structural support as well as a spring-like mechanism that we use for gait.
With so many moving parts it is easy for things to go wrong. Have a think about how much time people spend doing thoracic spine mobility. Then consider the thoracic spine only has twelve joints and doesn’t take on anywhere near the force the foot does when we move. When was the last time you addressed foot mobility and movement prep?"

"Flip that list around and reverse the sequence, beginning with a stiff big toe, and what do you find? You get a collapsed, mobile foot. You get a stiff ankle, Achilles, or calf. You have a sore knee from it being overly mobile. In other words, you are attempting to get movement from the knee it isn’t designed for because you lack it elsewhere. Your hips will be stiff and dysfunctional. The lower back will be bendy but not offer the support it needs."

Last edited:
Chicago SFG1: 128 days

Warmup
Ankle & big toe active stretching
Downward dog
After the ankle & toe stretching, I felt my lift hip shift back on these...letting me get a much deeper stretch into the calf. What a difference!
Usual gob sq/halos​

OHS
16k, 5r x 2s
20k, 5r x 2s

The Snatch
16k, 5r x 2s
20k, 5r x 10s
With the active stretching of the ankle and toe, I was able to track the knees and hips far better and finally nail down a squattier hinge. Fascinating!
@Anna C, the tip and the article worked GREAT.
StrongFirst Article: Essential Details for Proper Swing Grip and the Kettlebell Halo

"The foot is perhaps the most complex anatomical structure on the body, comprised of 26 bones, 33 joints, and more than 100 tendons, ligaments, and muscles. It is largely constructed around three arches, which provide structural support as well as a spring-like mechanism that we use for gait.
With so many moving parts it is easy for things to go wrong. Have a think about how much time people spend doing thoracic spine mobility. Then consider the thoracic spine only has twelve joints and doesn’t take on anywhere near the force the foot does when we move. When was the last time you addressed foot mobility and movement prep?"

"Flip that list around and reverse the sequence, beginning with a stiff big toe, and what do you find? You get a collapsed, mobile foot. You get a stiff ankle, Achilles, or calf. You have a sore knee from it being overly mobile. In other words, you are attempting to get movement from the knee it isn’t designed for because you lack it elsewhere. Your hips will be stiff and dysfunctional. The lower back will be bendy but not offer the support it needs."
This such a good post!
i have been focusing on my ankle and hips A TON the past month or so... maybe it is time I add the toes in there.
Thanks for sharing @The Nail

@The Nail & @Strong Rick , you two may like this then. I know I will be reading this in greater detail, and maybe even implementing some of them, along with busting back out my Vibram's:

Fix Your Feet: Mobility, Strength, and Flexibility Exercises for Foot and Ankle Health

@The Nail & @Strong Rick , you two may like this then. I know I will be reading this in greater detail, and maybe even implementing some of them, along with busting back out my Vibram's:

Fix Your Feet: Mobility, Strength, and Flexibility Exercises for Foot and Ankle Health
D00d, you should definitely pick up Mr. Reads book! He approaches things from a running stand point, but as I found out in two sessions of his simpler corrective exercises, the stuff has carry over to what we're doing.

Link to e-book
you what is funny guys... all these exercises in one way or another are covered in Super joints( at least the big ones)
ever since I started super joints I have been feeling much better and now that I am sprinkling in the OS resets it is getting even better. I have bought the GMB "Elements" program and for the most part it is super joints with animal walks just done and presented in a much easier fashion than the way Pavel delivers it. There isn't much in the terms of toes mobility in SJ but OS has some content on this and @The Nail seems to be onto something by adding this. I may end up buying this book on my kindle...

Not to side track this but you will see where I'm going in second...
at my sons wrestling practice my son does a mobility move in warm-ups called heal,toe,knee....
it basically is from the standing position step forward and drop down on your knee essentially flexing your toes and ankle maximally and then stepping through and doing it again with the other foot and repeat.... I can also liken it to the "lung position" of the get-up.... when we stand up and push of our trail leg and stand up which flexes the big toe.

I do those heal toe knees with the kids and work on improving my toe ankle and hip mobility at the same time.
regardless of the move/exercise I think we all are addressing the proper areas.

well done guys!
the 3 of us are much smarter together than we are by ourselves.
I feed off both of you and I hope in a little way you learn a little from me...

Now, I have just learned something from you. I haven't read super joints for a while, and I never finished it to begin with, so I will be reading it over lunch now. Along with going back to OS for some videos and ideas to enhance my mobility training. Thank you for the information!

you what is funny guys... all these exercises in one way or another are covered in Super joints( at least the big ones) ever since I started super joints I have been feeling much better and now that I am sprinkling in the OS resets it is getting even better.

well done guys!
the 3 of us are much smarter together than we are by ourselves.
I feed off both of you and I hope in a little way you learn a little from me...

PM Work:

Buteyko:
Three back to back level 16s
3:00 VLB and RCB
EBH 31
Max pause of 60, 80, and 105
After each breath hold, I lean back in my office chair, put my hands behind my head, and relax the abdominal wall.
Also worked on not swallowing during the VLB periods. This made the max pauses easier to control.

Stretching:
OS commando rocks, 90/90s, arm & shoulder rotations, QL Straddle​

Between the breathing and the stretching, this ends up taking around 1.5 hours.

Morning training takes about 1.5 hours.

3 hours a day devoted to training. 12% of the total day.

Being a High Performance Animal isn't easy, but it is worth it.
- The Nail, Dark Lord of The Snatch

Chicago SFG1: 126 days
This was an unplanned session, but I am glad I trained.

Warmup
Andrew Reads big toe AIS and Ankle Series One
Downward dog
Usual gob sq/halos​

OHS
16k, 5r x 2s
20k, 5r x 2s

The Snatch
16k, 5r x 2s
20k, 5r x 30s!
@Anna C, your tip about lazy abs caused me to reevaluate the rest of my form for lazy muscles. I realized my lats were 'lazy' tight through the lift. I made them 'Dark Lord of the Snatch' tight (both up and down phase) and BOOM! lock out problem solved. This made the movement far easier on the elbows and skin.
On the down phase, keeping them locked tight kept the bell close to my body and reduced the shock impact of the bell on the skin.
On the up phase, keeping them locked tight let me straighten out the arm sooner so the bell landed in a nice pillow made of sexy latissimus dorsi.
On both phases, the increased ab and lat recruitment let me get into a smooth rhythm which made the lift fun.
Thanks Anna!

Condensed version here from our conversation, in case it's helpful to others:

(after reviewing video) Looks really good to me. Two minor things:

1) The lockout looks a little unsteady. Spend a little time just holding the bell steady in lockout, finding that optimum position. (before, after, during, doesn't matter). Just close your eyes and stand there, finding that perfect position. Then when you snatch, try to go right for it. "Stick the landing" as they say in gymnastics.

2) Use the abs on the upswing.... on the whole snatch.

The abs are like a hidden source of power on the upswing. Try to deliberately tense the abs more and see what you get. I think they will amplify the hip drive and float of the bell, and help with precision.

The swing is the same - it's easy to have the abs a little tense instead of a lot, and not realize they are getting lazy, because the posterior chain does most of the work. But the abs can help with the swing - power, stability, and breathing. The snatch, even more so. They say that glutes and abs are connected, somehow... it's like a hidden mini-turbo-booster :)

Back
Top Bottom