all posts post new thread

Less is More

Friday's ruck took a lot out of me. I took this morning off of snatching and slept in.
Tomorrow I plan on being up at 4:30 and getting back in the game.

"The worthy goal of every man’s “game” should only be the improvement of his Self, the polishing of his own soul."
Curtius, Quintus. Thirty Seven: Essays On Life, Wisdom, And Masculinity

PM Work:

Buteyko:
A single 14
VLB as written; RcB of 2:00
59 max pause
EBH 29​

Stretching:
OS commando rocks, OS side to side rocks​

I'm making a big switch. Going to start training after work.

I have a tough time waking up early enough to get in all the snatching and rucking with the A+A. The joys of apartment living make it impossible to fall asleep early enough to be rested & recovered with a 4:30 AM wakeup. My training has been trash the past few weeks averaging < 6 hours sleep.

General daily template will be:
  • In bed 10:00 PM
  • Wake up 6:00 AM
  • At work by 7:00 AM
  • Leave work 3:30 PM
  • BCAAs around 3:45 PM
  • TRAIN 3:46 PM
After work training can still be a struggle; disconnecting from the day can be tough.

These three weird tricks (click here!) will give me a higher probability of success:
  1. Slam BCAAs right away; as soon as I walk in the door
  2. Change into training clothes right after
  3. Start warm ups ASAP
In short, ignore my feelings and get moving quickly.

I will also be changing my training so that it occurs all during the week. This should help establish a baseline routine.
  • Monday: Snatching and short walk
  • Tuesday: Long ruck
  • Wednesday: Snatching and short walk
  • Thursday: Long ruck
  • Friday: Snatching and short walk
  • Saturday & Sunday: Lots of buteyko breathing practice
    • Can also use Saturday as a make-up day in case of weekday weirdness

SFG1: 105 days out
Up 6:00 AM

Pre Workout
Ate a cup of chili around 2:30
Ate a bit of chocolate around 4:00
BCAAs around 4:05​

Train 4:15 PM

The Snatch
10k x 5r x 2s
16k x 5r x 2s
20k x 5r x 2s
24k x 5r x 20s​

Locomotion
Walk
20 minutes
3 degree windchill
Cool down: OS commando rocks and side to side rocks
Initial Thoughts:
  • This went well!
  • It could be because of the deload or the preworkout meals, but over all my joints felt more awake training at this time of day even after sitting for 8 hours.
  • I was able to focus easier - since training was the only place I had to be for the rest of the evening I didn't subconsciously rush around.
  • I was a bit more relaxed and could devote all processing power to focusing on the lift.
  • Potential negative - by the time I got to the locomotion work the sun had almost completely set - making it hard to see ice on the paved path. On the bright side, the lake was a different kind of beautiful gorgeous with the orange street lamps reflecting off it's frozen surface.

Extra little somethin' somethin'

Locomotion
Walk
20 minutes
Love 20 degree evening

Movement/Mobility
OS command rocks
OS side to side rocks
Arm & shoulder rotations
Rib pulls
Brettzels (wow hip flexors were tight!)
Childs pose rotations
Arm bar (wow shoulders were tight!)
Crooked arm bar
Andrew read toe/ankle series one
This felt goooooood.

@The Nail, have you given any thought to "white noise"? Noise that you can sleep through, but blocks out any noise from outside your domicile? Like sleeping music, or a sleep app that plays rain or any other form of filtering noise that could assist in your sleep.......

I utilize a standard fan for white noise, along with easy listening music like Mannheim Steamroller, the early years. Television is not white noise, at least not to me. There are quite a few for both android & ios, if you are looking for a sleep app, or for a sleep music player.

Hmm, I have not. I'll have to look into that. Do you use any? Suggestions? Thanks!

I live in an apartment, and we always run the fan on medium all night for white noise. It blocks out noise from the garbage truck which comes close to our house and the kids in the apartment below us. Works great.

SFG1: 102 days out
Up 8:00 AM
Snow day, took the day off :cool:

Pre Workout
Peanut butter, butter, honey, and brioche sandwich 2:00
Tea 3:00
Ate a bit of chocolate and BCAAs around 4:00​

The Snatch
10k x 5r x 2s
16k x 5r x 2s
20k x 5r x 2s
24k x 5r x 8s
28k x 5r x 4s
24k x 5r x 8s

H.A.L.T.s - Hardcore Ab + Lat Tightness SquatyHinge
Bending the knees a bit (just a bit, don't go crazy!) in the bottom hinge takes the stress off the elbow, and transfers the weight into the lats/abs/glutes/hamstring.
This also makes the knees track easier since when the glutes/hammies are loaded up right they pull the knee into a strong position.
Nice!

Locomotion
Walk
20-25 minutes
Easy, leisurely pace
Just chillin
Cool down: OS commando rocks, OS side to side rocks

Initial Thoughts:
  • Training in the evening has an unexpected psychological benefit: I don't care about the noisy neighbors when I'm making my own noise breathing hard via the nose recovering from heavy snatching :-D
  • I get more endorphins training in the evening; I feel very good after. This could just be the pre workout meals in action.
  • Again, it seems as if my joints are more awake in the evening so warm ups go smoother.
  • I get to have red wine and red meat for my post training meal :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

SFG1: 101 days out
Up 6:00

Pre Workout
Peanut butter, butter, honey, and brioche sandwich 2:00
Ate a bit of chocolate and BCAAs around 3:30​

Locomotion
Ruck
10#s
Approx 40 minutes (phone died on walk from the cold)
Solid pace
Cooldown: OS commando rocks, OS side to side rocks
Also, one max effort/glycotic session of the classic Clean-Snow-Off-Car exercise.

Last edited:
SFG1: 100 days out!

Pre Workout
Cup of chili afternoon
Ate a bit of chocolate and BCAAs before training​

The Snatch
10k x 5r x 2s
16k x 5r x 2s
20k x 5r x 8s
Tore a callous in my palm

Locomotion
Walk
20 minutes​

Pedal to the medal on the straight stretches when I can, happily brake for the curves...not worrying about whether the next chunk of road is a straight stretch or a curve but taking it as I go.

SFG1: 99 days out!
Wasn't going to train since tore callous yesterday, but when I realized it was 99 days out from the SFG1 I had to! Also, since only did 8 sets of snatch with 20k yesterday, I had unspent kettlebell energy to use up.

Pre Workout
Oat meal afternoon
Ate a bit of chocolate and BCAAs before training​

Swings
OHS
24k, 10r x 10s
Interval: 1:30
HARDSTYLE MAX CONTRACTION
These felt awesome! Carried the bell a bit further away from the wrist to save my palm callouses. After all the heavy snatching, these light OHS' felt good on the hips, glutes, and lower back. Especially in the way you have to force your body to maintain the plank. The act of staying 'straight and true' feels very good.

Get-ups
24k, 1r x 5s
Interval: 3:00
These felt awesome too! After all the locomotion, the half kneeling position with the back foot bent felt good on the feet. After all the heavy snatching, the hinge up/down felt good on the muscles where my belt sits.

Locomotion
Walk
20 minutes
Ahh, this felt so good after the get-up filled in the chinks in my armor. I was smiling the whole walk.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom