all posts post new thread

Less is More

SFG1: 84 days

The Snatch
10k x 5r x 2s
16k x 5r x 2s
20k x 5r x 30s
Int 1:30
Needed a straight ahead punch the clock session tonight.
Still snapping my elbow open in the bottom and top position...need to figure this out.

Locomotion
Walk
20 minutes
Cooldown: OS commando rocks/OS side to side rocks
The ice on the lake was noisy tonight again.
Such a unique, powerful sound.

Last edited:
SFG1: 82 days out

Warm ups
Somatic exercises, toes and ankle work, 1 20 minute VLB​

Locomotion
Walk
2-3" snow on the ground, 0 degree wind chill, vertical blowing snow storm
1 hr 15 min
This was my usual 1 hr 30 min route. Even with the snow and wind so strong I had to lean into it, I cut 15 minutes off the time. I'm becoming much more skilled at the short stride/quick cadence/arms powering the legs combo. I'm going to have to look for new walking routes to push this out closer to 2 hours, or maybe just lap my current routes but that'd be kinda boring. I may need some sort of snow goggles/glasses...that vertical blowing snow was tearing up my eyes.

I did this on an empty stomach starting around 10:00 AM; went much smoother on an empty stomach.

This was intense and satisfying. I was breathing in/out the nose the entire time, but the weather wore me out.

Much tired now; nap time.

SFG1: 81 days out

Swings
10s x 10r
OHS
Heavy focus on keeping the elbow locked open.

TGU
5s x 1r
Heavy focus on keeping the scapula pinched together.

Locomotion
Ruck
20#
20 minutes
I am exhausted. 1 hour phone interview this afternoon (went great!) wore me out. Had to take a nap after work, but knew I needed to do SOMETHING to make myself a little better physically. I was tired before I even started training. The ruck in the -2 windchill + blowing snow took all I had. My pack was covered in snow after only 20 minutes.

Worth it.

Chicago SFG1: 79 days away

Warm up
Somatic exercises, gob sq/halos​

The Snatch
Usual 10k, 16k, 20k to warm ye olde elbows

24k x 5r x 4s
32k x 2r x 20s
20k x 5r x 6s

Int 1:30
I love how the 32k helps to reinforce H.A.L.T.S
And by help I mean "smashes you if you don't" :)
This was a strong practice; I was pleasantly smoked at the end.
Not too much, not too little, juuuuuust right.

Locomotion
Walk
25 minutes
Leisurely pace; blessed little wind and a balmy 5 degrees with windchill

SFG1: 78 days

Upper back and hips were very stiff and sore from yesterday. Not in an 'ouch' way, more like a 'hmm I worked hard yesterday' way.
Tried running the usual rib pull/brettzel/childs pose/arm bar/crooked arm bar work and actually had a bit of trouble with it.
I took a bit of an 'off-day' approach and backed off my plan for a long ruck.

Locomotion
Walk
45 minutes
Felt better afterward

"I do not abuse alcohol. I teach it a f****** lesson."
:D

SFG1: 77 days out

Tonight
Still beat up, I would of had to run another S&S to train tonight. I really want to get another Snatch session in this week. Thinking if I rest another day, I can run a high volume 24k session tomorrow. Ran the usual combo of rib pull/brettzel/childs pose rotation/arm bar/crooked arm bar. Much more mobile than last night!​

Warm ups
Somatic exercises
Gob sq/halos​

The Snatch
24k x 5r x 30s!
Grateful to hit this milestone!

No 10k/16k/20k warm ups. Did a few tension exercises and got to work.

This session roughed my hands up, but it appears that I did not tear any callouses or blister up. I'll know by Monday, as the blisters can take a day or two to pop up.
The pinching of the scaps on my get-up during the S&S session Monday helped; didn't have as much trouble with my elbow snapping open. I was also more aware of my upper back and was able to utilize it on all 30 sets. This made The Snatch easier due to more control of the weight.

The heavy sets of 32k 20s x 2r improved my confidence in this lift. A lot. 24k seems...small now. I must be on the right track there.

Locomotion
Walk
25 minutes
We got close to 12" of snow here over the last few days. Slowed me down a bit since not all of the path was plowed. Also, got "mauled" by a friendly poodle dog so I had to stop and play with him for a moment. Love dogs!
Another snow storm is moving in tonight. I'll have to play tomorrow's planned locomotion session by ear. I'm definitely doing a locomotion session no matter what, but what kind/how long is up for grabs.

Today:
Will do some stretching later this evening, no KBs. Unplanned day off.​

Yesterday I slipped on the ice while striding forward with my left foot. But ended up sliding in such a way so that my left foot ended up behind me while I instinctively braced with the right ankle. This was at the end of my walk when I was tired.

My left knee and right ankle were sore with just walking today, so I err'd on the side of caution and decided to take the day off of KBs. Nothing painful, just stiff and sore. I did a bunch of walking in the building at work today, up and down stairs with no pain.

Tomorrow is a planned day off.

Planning to pick up the usual training on Wednesday with a Snatch session.

Last edited:
Tues/Wed:
The usual 90/90 + QL Straddle stretching, along with Andrew Read's Ankle Series One​

Today
The Snatch
20k x 5r x 10s
EMOM
Knee/Ankle still sore and stiff. I was really off my game tonight.
A lot of people at work were off sick today. Wondering if I might be fighting against the same thing, but my higher reserve of health is keeping me from the worst of it?
Locomotion
Walk
25 minutes
Beautiful night, 45 degrees!

A lot of people at work were off sick today. Wondering if I might be fighting against the same thing, but my higher reserve of health is keeping me from the worst of it?

Well, I don't know the answer for this particular case, but I'll put my money on that your body is better at handling stressors than most of your co-workers... Your really-off-your-game day (and a eustress for you) will be a full distress for most (volume of physical stress only, skill is not part of the discussion)

Back
Top Bottom