all posts post new thread

Less is More

Not feeling as shot from this 32k session compared to the last. Hopefully this means I'm out of the grip of that cold. Planning a ruck for tomorrow, then a high volume 24k session (30+NR) for Wednesday.
  • Tonight
    • - rib pulls, brettzels, childs pose rotation, arm bars, crooked arm bars
    • - goblet squats & halos with 10k ( gob sq really help loosen up my calves, feet, and ankles)
    • - arm & shoulder rotations
    • - downward dogs
    • - somatic exercises

Medium Milestone!

SFG1: 57 days away

The Snatch
Usual 10k/16k warm ups
24k x 5r x 40s
200 total reps!

1:30 interval
Would you believe I tore a callous on the very last damned rep? My hands weren't feeling hot at all. It ripped right as I put the bell down on the very last set. Too funny! This one is unfortunate, as it is going to be difficult to work around - even two hand swings are going to catch on it.
But I can't complain - did 32k x 20s on Sunday, then 24k x 40s today - two milestones in a single week. Not bad.
Torn Callous 03.01.jpg
Locomotion
None
I wasn't finished until after 7pm, and I was tired, hungry, and calves were cramping which is odd for me. Didn't want to get way away from home and not be able to walk back.
Planning on a stand alone locomotion session tomorrow anyways.​

I second the suckage of the callous tear, but maybe this is a sign to work on your locomotion, and rest from the snatch work....

Comes with the territory! (y)

Actually I'm hopeful; it didn't sting when I washed it out with soap right after so it could heal quickly.

I'd been contemplating taking a week to push the locomotion work anyways.

Question for you @The Nail . Did anything change recently your grip on snatches? It seemed like you would sometimes tear a callus working a low volume with 20kg and now you have been putting up some bigger volume without hand issues (aside from that last rep :p). Did anything change or did everything just start to click? I deal with the same issue.

Did anything change recently your grip on snatches?
Did anything change or did everything just start to click?
No changes with grip or form recently.

Thanks to the locomotion and buteyko work my body is getting better at managing fatigue. The most likely reason I tore the callous Thursday was due to over all fatigue. I've never went anywhere near that high, and started to wear down towards the end. I've built up enough aerobic base to get me this far, now I need a bigger aerobic tank so I stay fresh between sets.
Also, I got stronger. The stronger you are the easier a lift is to manage. I've been at this since October.

Shorter version:
  1. Recovering more between sets
    • The sharper you are, the better you are at managing the lift
  2. Getting good old fashioned stronger from the 32k snatches
    • The 24k is light weight baby!

TLDR ;): Patiently allowing my body to adapt.

This evening:
24 hr fast, ending at dinner, with mobility work just before the end of the fast​

Mobility:
Somatic exercises
AR Ankle Series 1
Downward dog
Toshner t-spine complex
Gob sq + halos​

I'm going to try out a simple template in the coming days to fast more often. Fasting does a lot to improve mindset, and I need that right now. Fasting 2x a week, Eat Stop Eat style, is a bit much given I'm training for the SFG. Fasting once every 7 days isn't enough.

Potential new template:
  • Day 1 - Locomotion
  • Day 2 - Kettlebell work
  • Day 3 - Locomotion, fast after dinner
  • Day 4 - Fast end at dinner/Off
Rinse and repeat.
* Since fasting can be a stressor, I made that an "off" day. The intent is to do plenty of movement prep/mobility/stretching before breaking the fast at dinner....like I did today.

I'm also using my chin strap for sleeping again the past several days. I always feel like a small child using that thing, but like the fasting it's impossible to deny it's effectiveness.

SFG1: 53 days out!

Punch ye olde tyme clock session

Locomotion
Ruck
10#
50 minutes
Really bummed today; the job opportunity I was all excited about is a no-go.

Trained anyways :cool:

Last edited:
Good locomotion work. Sorry to hear about the job opportunity. I am sure there will be another one out there for you. In this area, there almost has to be.....

SFG1: 48 days out

Trained around 10:00 AM

The Snatch
10k x 5r x 2s
20k x 5r x 10s
I had planned on running 24k x 5 r x 20s, but I felt the skin on the tear pulling during the warm ups and so I decided to back off.
I did feel great after this.

Locomotion
None. Planning on either a long session this evening, or before I break the planned 24 hour fast tomorrow. Or maybe both, we'll see.​

Email from @aciampa:

"I want to do some glycolytic sets this week when your hand feels better."

s*** just got real! :D

Spoiler alert, it's going to feel insanely hard at first and you might think you have a discouragingly long way to go. But it gets better AMAZINGLY fast, even from one session to the next, when you have done the base strength and aerobic work (as you certainly have).

Back
Top Bottom