all posts post new thread

Less is More

You've started powerlifting again? What's your plan like?

The most important piece of my plan is the daily Buteyko Breathing sessions I implemented with @aciampa. A stress management protocol is key! I always do the breathing practice first thing in the morning so that I rarely miss a session. I recommend working with him to implement it.

Second most important piece of my plan is nutrition. I avoid soy, processed foods/carbs/sweets, and beer. I eat mostly grass fed & finished meats, keeping my carbs around 50g most days.

As far as my other training, this is the basic layout:
Saturday: Squat
Sunday: S&S + MAF Run
Monday: Bench
Tuesday: MAF Run
Wednesday: Deadlift
Thursday: S&S + MAF Run
Friday: Off​
  • Squat and bench I start with 3s x 3r, progressing over 3 weeks to 7s x 3r with the same weight.
    • On the 4th week, I add weight and drop back down to 3s x 3r.
  • Deadlift I keep at 3s x 3r
    • Add weight on 4th week
  • S&S is exactly as written by Pavel.
    • The one hand swings and get-ups seem to help recovery. I'll keep using the 45 and 53 bells for a while.
  • Running is always done at or below the maffetone heart rate
    • Lots of good things happen when you build the aerobic system correctly
Nothing fancy. Basic, repeatable, and enjoyable training.

The most important piece of my plan is the daily Buteyko Breathing sessions I implemented with @aciampa. A stress management protocol is key! I always do the breathing practice first thing in the morning so that I rarely miss a session. I recommend working with him to implement it.

Second most important piece of my plan is nutrition. I avoid soy, processed foods/carbs/sweets, and beer. I eat mostly grass fed & finished meats, keeping my carbs around 50g most days.

As far as my other training, this is the basic layout:
Saturday: Squat
Sunday: S&S + MAF Run
Monday: Bench
Tuesday: MAF Run
Wednesday: Deadlift
Thursday: S&S + MAF Run
Friday: Off​
  • Squat and bench I start with 3s x 3r, progressing over 3 weeks to 7s x 3r with the same weight.
    • On the 4th week, I add weight and drop back down to 3s x 3r.
  • Deadlift I keep at 3s x 3r
    • Add weight on 4th week
  • S&S is exactly as written by Pavel.
    • The one hand swings and get-ups seem to help recovery. I'll keep using the 45 and 53 bells for a while.
  • Running is always done at or below the maffetone heart rate
    • Lots of good things happen when you build the aerobic system correctly
Nothing fancy. Basic, repeatable, and enjoyable training.

That looks like a solid plan, all around.

What kind of goals do you have and do you have a time frame for the goals?

Far more of us need "goal-less" programs than not. Kudos to @The Nail for educating, accepting, adopting and executing.
Thank you for the kind words. It's been a pleasure working with you Al.

--
Training Log

10.17.2018 - Deadlifts

Buteyko
6:30 AM
1xL16, 2xL15 back to back
EBH 30, 33, 40 / MAX 60, 65, 81

MGG at 5:00 PM

Gob Squats
24k x 3s x 5r

Deadlift
255 x 3s x 3r

Pullups
3s x 3r

Last edited:
10.18.2018 - Buteyko Only

Buteyko
3xL16 back to back
EBH 30, 30, 30 / MAX 60, 60, 60

Woke up this morning with runny nose and runny eyes. Fighting a small cold apparently. No evening training.

Far more of us need "goal-less" programs than not. Kudos to @The Nail for educating, accepting, adopting and executing.
I have been reading this post over and over for days and love it! Love that “goal-less” thinking.

I have been following up reading that post with @The Nail post where he posted his training outline and brainstorming and thinking about my training and hope I’m making the right choices and decisions.

Love how simple and to the point it is!

I have been reading this post over and over for days and love it! Love that “goal-less” thinking.

I have been following up reading that post with @The Nail post where he posted his training outline and brainstorming and thinking about my training and hope I’m making the right choices and decisions.

Love how simple and to the point it is!

Rick, an overwhelming majority of folks do not need performance-based goals for their training. They just need to move, in an organized or unorganized manner.

A relative few have a personality type that requires a performance goal to maintain their compliance to a program. That’s fine. But most of us would be relieved of an unknown stress if they dropped their arbitrary goals. Heck, I have folks meeting their PT standards training without goals. It’s a “free-er” existence.

Rick, an overwhelming majority of folks do not need performance-based goals for their training. They just need to move, in an organized or unorganized manner.

A relative few have a personality type that requires a performance goal to maintain their compliance to a program. That’s fine. But most of us would be relieved of an unknown stress if they dropped their arbitrary goals. Heck, I have folks meeting their PT standards training without goals. It’s a “free-er” existence.
Thats cool!
It just seems to make so much sense and maybe that is what intrigues me so much about this "goal-less" training. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on @The Nail journal and this forum!

10.19.2018 - Buteyko Only

Buteyko
3xL16 back to back
EBH 30, 35, 40 / MAX 60, 65, 90

Woke up this morning feeling much better! Went to bed an hour early, and slept in close to two hours. Taking the day off of training yesterday looks to have been the right call.

10.20.2018 - Squats

Buteyko
8:00 AM
3xL16 back to back
EBH 30, 35, 40 / MAX 60, 65, 75

Before gym, 09:30 AM
Mobility
RS Glute work, downward dog, FMS mobility complex

MGG at 10:30 AM

Goblet Squats
24k x 3s x 5r

Squats
5s x 3r @ 195
Did a much better job managing my upper back and torso. Felt my abs working nicely. Need to do a bit better job opening up the hips on the first rep.

10.21.2018 - S&S + Locomotion

Buteyko
7:30 AM
3xL16 back to back
EBH 30, 35, 41 / MAX 60, 65, 80

Breakfast
2 eggs, coffee

Mobility
9:00 AM
RS Glute Work, Downward Dog, FMS Complex

Gob Sq
3s x 5r

OHS
10s x 10r
Interval 1:30
Still chasing that perfect swing. Gotta fine tune that balance between knees out and the knee bent. A lot of lessons here apply to my barbell squat, and vice versa.

TGU
5s x 1r
Interval 3:31
Still chasing that perfect get-up. Gotta kick in the brace for that back leg sooner.

Locomotion
5 walk / 25 run
First run in freezing weather this season. Came back and got a hot shower right away to defrost my sinus cavities.

10.22.2018 - Bench

Buteyko
6:00 AM
3xL16 back to back
EBH 30, 35, 40 / MAX 60, 65, 80

MGG 5:30
Bench
185 x 3r x 7s

Pullups
3r x 5s

Not as good as last week, but still good. Slightly under the weather still. I’m carrying the weight in my lats like never before. Give it time and it might make for a nice bench.

10.27.2018 - Heavy Lifting

Buteyko
8:00 AM
3xL16 back to back
EBH 30, 37, 42 / MAX 60, 66, 75

Before gym, 09:30 AM
Mobility
RS Glute work, downward dog, FMS mobility complex

MGG at 11:00 AM

Goblet Squats 1s x 16k
Dbl Fr Sq 2s x 16k

Squats