all posts post new thread

Less is More

By a long shot, but not as much fun.
Less of a learning curve on snowshoes though...
Any recommendations to share for snowshoe and/or cross-country ski setups? I've got zero experience with both. But need to get in my cardio, and I hate treadmills.

Skis run the whole gamut of prices. For your use I wouldn't go extravagant, until you decide if you like it or not. Some years in Chi it doesn't get good enough snow either. But all you need is to know correct length. And go waxless. You can pick up used kit at Play it Again. There are different types of bindings, so you need boots that match.

Snow Shoes likewise can get pricey, but you don't need expensive racing, or alpine models to start. Something entry level would be just fine. That still will set you back at least $160.00 MSR used to make decent stuff.

Skis run the whole gamut of prices. For your use I wouldn't go extravagant, until you decide if you like it or not. Some years in Chi it doesn't get good enough snow either. But all you need is to know correct length. And go waxless. You can pick up used kit at Play it Again. There are different types of bindings, so you need boots that match.

Snow Shoes likewise can get pricey, but you don't need expensive racing, or alpine models to start. Something entry level would be just fine. That still will set you back at least $160.00 MSR used to make decent stuff.
Thank you! I'll likely get the snow shoes because I want the capability to ruck in them as well and want to keep costs down...I've already spent a bunch of money this year in cold weather gear. Also, I don't really have the room to store a pair of full sized skis.

I imagine that you aren't going outside walking for the next few days, what with the temps dropping well below zero, plus the wind.....
With windchill as bad as -60 coming up I am going to play it by ear. My boots and gloves can handle that, but I don't have pants & jacket enough to break that sort of wind.

I've trained a lot in extreme temperatures over the years. Everything from -40c to +40c. One thing that I've learned is that there is a fine line between bad-a$$ and dumb-a$$...
I got my locomotion in tonight while it was only -16.

Locomotion
4:30 PM
Walk, snow ranging from 4 inches to above knee height (drifting!)
1.49 miles
37 minutes
24:54 min/mi
Avg HR 129 BPM
Max HR 159

This was intense. 30 MPH winds making for -16 windchill. I’m really tired.

Locomotion
4:00 PM
Walk, path was plowed!!!
1.1 miles
25 minutes
24:21 min/mi
Avg HR 121 BPM
Max HR 135
Pacing information is off a little, as I had it on while I finished preparing to go outside and when I started up my car to let it run a bit.

Wind chill -40f. Coldest weather I have ever trained in! Was scheduled to lift today, but realized I might not have another opportunity to train in -40f weather for free again. I was going to do two laps of the plowed path, but my exposed eyes were starting to water so I packed it in.

Last edited:
Yeah, I stepped outside this morning to feel what 40-50 below felt like. I was very happy that my company closed for the day. I mean, shorts and a t-shirt might have had something to do with my brief venture out of doors....

Wind chill -40f. Coldest weather I have ever trained in! Was scheduled to lift today, but realized I might not have another opportunity to train in -40f weather for free again. I was going to do two laps of the plowed path, but my exposed eyes were starting to water so I packed it in.

02.01 - Buteyko
10:00 PM
3xL15 btb
EBH 30, 35, 40 / MAX 65, 80, 90

--

02.02.2019 - Lifting

Home, 09:30
Mobility
RS Glute Work
FMS Mobility Complex
Downward Dog

MGG @ 10:30 AM

Squat
185 x 3r x 7s
Left side of my neck was sore the past few days. Think I must of slightly tweaked it walking in all that snow and ice. Was still a bit stiff today, made it difficult to keep the bar even on my back. You can see in the video it’s slightly tipped to the right.

Bench
165 x 3r x 7s
This lift is really coming along! I’m developing the ability to utilize the lats so well it feels almost like a hip hinge.

Deadlift
235 x 2r x 5s
Focusing hard on cramping the lats and locking down that hook grip hard before I kick off the pull. Going nicely.

Today's videos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Z34yQYYZCnFTCAj8

02.03.2018 - Locomotion

Last run was on 01/06!

Mobility
Downward dog, FMS mobility complex

Locomotion
11:00 AM
30 minute run
1.54 miles
117 bpm avg hr
19:32 min/mi

This felt sooo good! Ran through an odd combination of slicker than snot ice and lots of ankle deep water with the snow melting in this INCREDIBLE 45 DEGREE WEATHER!

This was really great.

Running in tough conditions like that is one of my favourite things. Because if you can make a good accounting of yourself in those circumstances, then think how good a run becomes through the forest on a crisp and clear fall morning...

Running in tough conditions like that is one of my favourite things. Because if you can make a good accounting of yourself in those circumstances, then think how good a run becomes through the forest on a crisp and clear fall morning...
Great point!

02.04.2019 - Lifting

Buteyko
7:14 AM
1xL16
EBH 30 / MAX 65

MGG @ 5:00 PM

Squat
185 x 3r x 7s

Bench
165 x 3r x 7s

Pull
235 x 2r x 5s

Slept like Hell last night; something was going on around here. I was woken up by emergency sirens 3 times. Odd. Managed to have a very good session. I’m tempted to increase the volume on all the lifts next session.

Evening Buteyko
10:00 PM
3xL15 btb
EBH 30, 40, 50 / MAX 65, 90, 100
Great session!

02.05 - Locomotion

Buteyko
7:14 AM
1xL16
EBH 30 / MAX 75

Locomotion
4:30 PM
30 minute run
17:39 min/mi
125 avg hr
138 max hr
Great run! Lots of ice, but not enough to wear my yak trax.

02.09 - Lifting 80%

Buteyko
7:45 AM
1xL16
EBH 30 / MAX 70

MGG @ 10:30 AM

Squat
215 x 2r x 10s
Worked on moving my grip in a finger’s width - index is on the ring now. Helped keep everything nice and tight, but did seem to force more bend in my neck. Need to stay on top of my FMS mobility work.

Bench
195 x 2r x 10s
Worked on not rushing so much - pausing a few counts after unracking & pausing between each rep. Gotta make sure I don’t outrun that rack command.

Pull
280 x 1r x 10s
Worked on locking in those lats HARD into the hips.

Great session. Every rep was smooth

Video footage of the last set of each lift.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/P2nQJ5TxaT6s8pmFA

Back
Top Bottom