all posts post new thread

Barbell Less time consuming alternative to Starting Strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Why? It has a step-by-step guide how to determine starting weights, progressions and how to set up a training cycle for 2-5 exercises plus how to use assistance exercises.

I don’t know, I just do. ??‍♂️

5/3/1 is like a million different programs, but it’s more a philosophy to me. All things Pavel are concepts rather than specific guidelines and rigid sets of rules (like Starting Strength is, for instance).

I’m weird that way.

The powerlifting lifts is where my interest lies (plus the press) so how would you cycle these four lifts with the two lift programme? Should I just do deadlift and bench for X Week
Each chooses for himself.

You could schedule it on a rotating schedule of each lift swapped so that you get time on that lift approximately 3x per week or so.

A day: squat, bench
B day: deadlift, press

Or you could swap the lifts out cycle after cycle.

8-16 sessions of nothing but deadlift and press, followed by 8-16 sessions of bench and squat.

I can imagine that the programming might be simple to Not take huge breaks from one of the lifts if you have the time to lift the weights daily.

And as food for thought, PTTP doesn't recommend against lifting daily, it recommends against practicing the same lift more than 5 times in one week.

All of this, in my view would be gauged against your recovery and your schedule, and with respect to keeping the trajectory pointed in the same direction as your goals.

Last edited:
@Gary Logue
As mentioned earlier, the first question is, do you need a novice program, like Starting strenght?
If you come back to training after already running a novice program, it is still a good alternative, but be aware that you will just run it faster and go over the linear progression very soon.

Second question is why it takes you that much time. For the main lifts, it is 5/3 with generous rest (say 5 minutes). Including 5 minutes of rest before going to the next lift, it will take you around 30 minutes. It is a novice program, so the weight is not that high in absolute.
The warmup does not add much time. Rest between warmups is almost as long as the time it takes to change the weight (it is a warmup, it should not take much energy). Maybe you are resting too long during your warmup or doing too much of it.

If you had success with Faleev 5x5, then go for it. Just alternate bench press and press if you want to have the press.

There is also the alternative of running Power to the people. At first, you do it 5 times a week with only bench press and deadlift, and after a while you add the squat and the press. There is a progression like that in the SFL manual, although I don't remember the specifics (and have no access to the manual at the moment). That would be my first choice. Short sessions, frequent practice.

@Tirofijo @silveraw @Adachi I have read PTTP and it really interests me as I could do the 5 days per week and add some conditioning to 2-3 days without being in the gym too long. The powerlifting lifts is where my interest lies (plus the press) so how would you cycle these four lifts with the two lift programme? Should I just do deadlift and bench for X Weeks then switch to squat and press for X Weeks?
Last time I ran PTTP I used the deadlift/press combo. I then just pushed until I stalled out and swapped the exercise.

The press will be the one you stall out on first (basically you get up to a sticking weight, deload, and if you get to the same sticking point again, you have stalled. This is the super basic version and you can and should do different loading schemes as you progress). Once you have stalled, swap it for the bench press (or side press, floor press, etc).

For the deadlift, same thing. Once you stall swap it for the squat (Or whatever dl/squat exercise you can dream of).

Rinse and repeat.

Alternatively you can stay with the same lifts longer by doing something like switching to a step load after stalling, which will get you further with each lift before needing to swap lifts. And probably stronger quicker too.

I've adjusted SS and it accidentally looked like gslp.

Basically I did
A: Bench ss with dB rows
Squat SS with whatever is near the rack like chins, BW rows, BPA
B: ohp but from the floor
Deadlift SS with dips, or whatever
40 mins and home

Edit: there's different variations in, I think, barbell prescription where you don't squat and deadlift every time. Don't be worried about reducing frequency a little.

Last edited:
I've been loving GSLP and my sessions are pretty fast. How much warming up are you doing and why mobility?

I know that's a dumb question, but is it specifically indicated for you? Do you have an old chronic injury you're working with?

I can get through several warmup sets within a matter of minutes, then knockout my 3x5 plus and move in to my other lift.

Lots of supplemental and accessory work I get in at home.

I recommend looking into GSLP(GreySkull LP).

I've been loving GSLP and my sessions are pretty fast. How much warming up are you doing and why mobility?

My current workout is very similar to GSLP. I generally do about 3-5 different stretches/exercises to warm up before every workout, working from ballistic to static:
20 spiderman mountain climbers + 1 30-40 sec second static stretch on each side
20 side squats/groin stretches + 1 30-40 sec static stretch on each side
5 really long paused goblet squats with light weight 10-30 sec each
30 sec double groin stretch (aka kickboxer)
20 push-ups

Well, I suffered an aching hip for about 5 years a while ago. I need to open my hips to squat. I also tore a hamstring once and don't want that to happen again. 4 of these stretches are targeting these injury areas. The push-ups are to activate my upper back and chest.

I saw lots of powerlifters doing all kinds of confusing-looking mobility stretches. I looked at what the basic stretch they were doing was and it seemed to be a Spiderman and Groin stretch with all sorts of added confusion... so I dropped the confusion. I also find doing the climbers, squats, and push-ups gets you a bit warm. And I don't want to spend a ton of time on this if it takes more than 10 min I won't do it. This takes about 5-10.

If I had no injuries I might just do 75-100 kb swings (3-4x25) and a mix of long paused goblet squats and normal goblet squats.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom