all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Let me know what ya all think, wrote this couple months back for another site

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kyle

Level 5 Valued Member
Is it getting your 8 hours of sleep every night? Is it having all of your meals ready and prepared for you? Maybe it is taking pointless photoshopped selfies with your new color-coordinated outfit, and matching $200 Nike sneakers? Is it chatting with your friends about the weekend, between sets... or maybe "the grind" is all about just trying to look like a tough guy for likes on your social media pages?

Now, believe it or not, there was actually a time when someone would go to the gym only to train... maybe it was for sport, competition, strength, work, or just for overall health. They went in, put in the work...and they left. Those were the men and women of great physiques and who were strong as all hell.
For example, just look at the 60's, 70's, and 80's era powerlifters, strongmen, and bodybuilders, these guys were huge, jacked and looked the part, and guess what, they didn't have the latest supplements, online macronutrient counters,or the internet with custom workouts at their fingertips. What they did have came from within and that was pure hard work, determination, and a no-quit attitude that would put the work ethic of majority of people in 2016 to shame.

As much as I despise the phrase “on the grind”, if I had to put into words what it actually means to me ... “the grind” is a husband or wife, maybe they have kids, a stressful job, they don't get 8 hours of sleep at night, they definitely didn't have their meals prepared because their day was complete hell and now they're busy checking their kid's homework, their macros might be off, so they have to make due with leftovers.

Like it or not, life does not care if you have a show, a competition, a game, or a test. Life doesn't give a damn if you just want to come home from work and get to the gym. because we all have responsibilities in life that extend beyond our own wants and needs. So to me, "the grind” is the quality in a man or woman, who despite the possible and unforeseen setbacks and hardships, have the unstoppable mindset and determination to make time, block out all distractions and train their a#@ off...whether it be at 4am or 9pm. The grind" is defined by those who beat their bodies down, those who give 110% in order to experience the sense of accomplishment that follows when you give your blood, sweat and tears to work towards a goal. Those who do not need an audience for approval, or a pat on the back for motivation. They are the few who work in silence...head down, and eyes burning with determination

If you ask me who the people are that I look to for motivation or respect, I can tell you this... it's not the guy with the flashy car, or the new camera, not the guy with the new clothing line, and definitely not the guy with thousands of followers YouTube. It is the men and women that hold down their jobs, take care of their kids and family, and when all of that is handled, still make time in the day to train hard... day after day. These are the people who live without all of the pointless selfies, cliche' catchphrases, desire for likes on social media ,or the desperate need for a "great work" every time they hit a PR. That, to me, is what "the grind" is all about

So, in closing I say to you, the followers and members of The Iron Union family... let us make an effort to get back to the basics. Put down your phones and forget about the distorted reality of social media. Get in the gym and just train hard. Give it all that you've got...every rep, every set and with every ounce of strength that you have left. Pay your dues, work hard, and never expect anything to just be handed to you.
This is the time that we make our mark, and this is our time to make them remember us!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom