all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Life after Fighter Pull-up Program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jkan

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello,
I am in the middle of the Fighter Pull Up Program and having great results. I know the program suggests running for one month but I was wondering if there was a way to program this so it extends longer, like for 8 to 12 weeks? If not I’m looking for an effective program to implement after the fighter program program is “runs its course”. Any help and insight is greatly appreciated, thanks everyone

Hello,

@Jkan
Welcome to StrongFirst.

I would have a few questions. What is your goal ? Do you want to keep improving your pull ups or do you want to improve another move ? Do you run something else alongside these pull ups ? Do you have some training or injury history ?

A word of caution: usually, this is 'safer', from a balance standpoint, to practice both push and pull.

I know there are a lot of questions, but with context, a way better answer will be provided to you.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi Pet,
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the help.

Im currently running S&S, after finishing one of Geoff Nueperts C&J programs.

Luckily no injuries, but I’m 45 so I don’t recover like I did back in the day. That’s the appeal of S &S, I hate waiting around the other four days on a 3xweek program.

my goals for pull-ups are to get above 10 then add weight.

I have run FPP (weighted) and S&S concurrently. It ends up being a lot of volume. It can be done but you really need to watch your recovery...
I’ll ask another question however... (along the lines of what @pet' was asking) what are you training for? Some sport, activity, or profession, or just because...?

A good question..

Once you know what is your goal, start there..

A good goal is eventually work up to doing 5 pullups with 1/3 of your bodyweight and then half bodyweight weighted pull-up

Thank you @Mark Limbaga and @offwidth.

Been implementing FPP GTG spread out. This has made the volume feel manageable.

I’d like to hit 12-15 strict/tight pull-ups then add weight. In terms of S&S 100 swings with the 32kg in 5 min and 10 get ups in 5.

after I plan on starting with Kettlebell strong, but the pull-ups have always been my weak point, especially since I struggled with finding an effective program. I’m worried that the gains will stop and I won’t know what to switch to next. I’m on week two and started at a 5rm. I know this is not as impressive as most people but I’d like too sustain pull-up gains.

right now BJJ is on pause due to COVID so I’m trying to make gains while I’m away from the mat.

Hello,

@Jkan
S&S works very well with almost anything based on GTG.

To make it 'as per the book', you have to see how many repetitions you can do (in this case, bdw pull ups). Then, during the day, you do as many sets of half the max. You tackle the set when you are sure to finish it with good form. You stop when you are tired.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've finished my FPP program a couple of weeks ago, now following my own weighted pullup plan according to plan strong principles.

Some background: before starting FPP I didn't do pullups at all for some time (a couple of months I would say). So I had to start almost "from scratch" - I was able to do 5 quality reps. As I am working from home now - I was doing FPP in GTG manner - spreading all required sets during whole day. I also extended the program to 6 weeks. After six weeks, and a week of deload, I did 12 nice repetitions, and 1 rep with 24 kg. (I did also one with 28 kg, but it was quite ugly, so I didn't count this one)

To be honest - based on my own feelings - I would not recommend to do FPP for more than four weeks.
This is extremely high volume program, and even GTG didn't led me to avoid feeling of extreme fatigue during last week of the program. For last couple of days I was just looking forward for end of the week and end of pullups.

So once again. No, don't go for more than 4 weeks with FPP :)

I've finished my FPP program a couple of weeks ago, now following my own weighted pullup plan according to plan strong principles.

Some background: before starting FPP I didn't do pullups at all for some time (a couple of months I would say). So I had to start almost "from scratch" - I was able to do 5 quality reps. As I am working from home now - I was doing FPP in GTG manner - spreading all required sets during whole day. I also extended the program to 6 weeks. After six weeks, and a week of deload, I did 12 nice repetitions, and 1 rep with 24 kg. (I did also one with 28 kg, but it was quite ugly, so I didn't count this one)

To be honest - based on my own feelings - I would not recommend to do FPP for more than four weeks.
This is extremely high volume program, and even GTG didn't led me to avoid feeling of extreme fatigue during last week of the program. For last couple of days I was just looking forward for end of the week and end of pullups.

So once again. No, don't go for more than 4 weeks with FPP :)
Pawel, thanks for your response. What is your programming now?

Pawel, thanks for your response. What is your programming now?
My pleasure :)

I am following my own plan for weighted pullup according to Plan Strong principles. If you are able to do 10 nice BW reps you can try to add weight to your pullups.

If you want to try plan strong programs you can purchase custom designed plan in StrongFirst Shop.

There is also upcoming online event with @Fabio Zonin. I've participated in online Plan Strong Event last year and I highly recommend it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom