all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Life Protection System

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Reneta Music

Level 5 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Life Protection System Seminar

StrongFirst Team Leaders Gary and Reneta Music will be in Victor, NY instructing basic life protection skills in self protection.

SKTA 8th dan Gary Music will be teaching the Life Protection System course in Victor, NY. Practical Life Protection methods that will increase your ability to survive an attack. Provided with seminar will be a course manual, t-shirt and a 12 week Hard Style kettlebell program and contact info to continue training

For more information on Gary, please follow this link to his profile:

Gary Music, StrongFirst-Certified Instructor

31408100_10216710907833495_5604333160457306112_n.jpg

37265106_10216335255638160_3566097318505611264_n.jpg

Karate style percussion grappling. Application from Heain Godan kata old school :)

My forum friends in NY, PA and Ohio come train with me I will teach you to walk through life head high and not afraid. :) see you there

Practice offense. But I (and Sun Tzu) preach defense is invincible!!!! Why. When you are young do this to get strong and possibly compete in fighting sports. But I am nearly 60 why do I still do this.

For one I always have illusions of a come back LOL. But seriously if you study offense your defense will improve it is just that simple. Offense is necessary vulnerable by its nature. Proper defense is invincible if the odds are right. This type training along with your karate-do, tang soo do and other hardstyle martial arts will make your body strong and resilient.

The skill progress between offense and defense is circular in nature, if you practice both properly your timing in both tactics will improve.

32918361_10217377176409793_936554641510891520_n.jpg

Practice offense. But I (and Sun Tzu) preach defense is invincible!!!! Why. When you are young do this to get strong and possibly compete in fighting sports. But I am nearly 60 why do I still do this.

For one I always have illusions of a come back LOL. But seriously if you study offense your defense will improve it is just that simple. Offense is necessary vulnerable by its nature. Proper defense is invincible if the odds are right. This type training along with your karate-do, tang soo do and other hardstyle martial arts will make your body strong and resilient.

The skill progress between offense and defense is circular in nature, if you practice both properly your timing in both tactics will improve.

32918361_10217377176409793_936554641510891520_n.jpg

Hello Gary, fellow HS (Tang Soo Do) guy here (31 yrs)

I was always taught the same way, never back straight up and if you have to block more than twice your more than likely going to get hit as you can't block forever.. block & counter or forget all that and attack, I mostly prefer to counter attack. We're the same age by the way. Old guys rule! :)(y)

Hello Gary, fellow HS (Tang Soo Do) guy here (31 yrs)

I was always taught the same way, never back straight up and if you have to block more than twice your more than likely going to get hit as you can't block forever.. block & counter or forget all that and attack, I mostly prefer to counter attack. We're the same age by the way. Old guys rule! :)(y)

Very good Bret, our Chief Instructor is a 5th dan in Tang Soo Do

We have many different styles of schools that participate Goju - Tang Soo - Shotokan - Isshin-Ryu and others Shurite Kempo is not a style it is an association. Thanks for showing some interest :)

I'm primarily a judo guy but wasn't able to keep my curiosity at bay and have spent a total of about about 2 years (in the past) working hard at Karate daily. If we're talking about something that is no jokes, deadly effective, not playing a sport, dead serious, I think Karate fits the bill expertly!

What led me to discontinue serious Karate training was two things: 1. in terms of a fitness program there are better things out there like kettlebells (or judo, hehehe) and 2. I simply don't need that high level of combat acumen for the kind of community I happen to live in. As a kind of point 2.5 being able to get yourself out of someone else's control and to (if needed) control someone else without having to injure them is a very useful skill (which judo and BJJ etc impart) as there are many levels of self-defence and having to choose to either be at level zero in your response or level 100 is a bit dangerous legally speaking, but also socially as harming someone can trigger a blood feud so to speak. I've been able to protect myself and others physically in the past without having to harm the aggressor. Now, if we're talking serious criminal aggressions, this is totally different. You're going to want to hit hard and break parts of their body to pieces without having to get or to stay too close! That's different! Karate seems excellent for this!

Something I felt about the katas which I don't think is much said is that they teach 100% aggression - you do your thing and crush whatever is in the way. It is not a game, it is a military training drill where you smash through doing your own thing your own way. It's training in cold, merciless dispassion. You don't give a ____ about the aggressor or what he is doing, you just smash him.

Very good Bret, our Chief Instructor is a 5th dan in Tang Soo Do

We have many different styles of schools that participate Goju - Tang Soo - Shotokan - Isshin-Ryu and others Shurite Kempo is not a style it is an association. Thanks for showing some interest :)
Very cool, I'm descended from C.S. Kim out of Pittsburgh Pa., though I've trained on the Left coast since 1987. These days I self train

I'm primarily a judo guy but wasn't able to keep my curiosity at bay and have spent a total of about about 2 years (in the past) working hard at Karate daily. If we're talking about something that is no jokes, deadly effective, not playing a sport, dead serious, I think Karate fits the bill expertly!

What led me to discontinue serious Karate training was two things: 1. in terms of a fitness program there are better things out there like kettlebells (or judo, hehehe) and 2. I simply don't need that high level of combat acumen for the kind of community I happen to live in. As a kind of point 2.5 being able to get yourself out of someone else's control and to (if needed) control someone else without having to injure them is a very useful skill (which judo and BJJ etc impart) as there are many levels of self-defence and having to choose to either be at level zero in your response or level 100 is a bit dangerous legally speaking, but also socially as harming someone can trigger a blood feud so to speak. I've been able to protect myself and others physically in the past without having to harm the aggressor. Now, if we're talking serious criminal aggressions, this is totally different. You're going to want to hit hard and break parts of their body to pieces without having to get or to stay too close! That's different! Karate seems excellent for this!

Something I felt about the katas which I don'tthat they teach 100% aggression - you do your thing and crush whatever is in the way. It is not a game, it is a military training drill where you smash through doing your own thing your own way. It's training in cold, merciless dispassion. You don't give a ____ about the aggressor or what he is doing, you just smash him.

Hi! I appreciate your input!

Our method of self protection is very unique in nature, we train from a set of principles and the Sun Tzu in regard to protecting our attacker.

I would personally never want to hurt someone permanently, it's just not my nature. I'm also a very strong woman and could if I wanted to, but to be honest, all I want to do is escape the situation and the authorities can sort it out.

I also like to be able to practice, just like kettlebells/barbells/bodyweight, my self protection skills and that's why I practice my kata. I move with precision into each position, driving my elbows at a straight. 90 or 45 degree angle as if there were a body part present when I move. When the time comes and I get attacked, I am fully prepared to protect myself because I have moved with the precision I need in my kata.

Our method of self protection is very unique in nature, we train from a set of principles and the Sun Tzu in regard to protecting our attacker.

I would personally never want to hurt someone permanently, it's just not my nature. I'm also a very strong woman and could if I wanted to, but to be honest, all I want to do is escape the situation and the authorities can sort it out.

I also like to be able to practice, just like kettlebells/barbells/bodyweight, my self protection skills and that's why I practice my kata. I move with precision into each position, driving my elbows at a straight. 90 or 45 degree angle as if there were a body part present when I move. When the time comes and I get attacked, I am fully prepared to protect myself because I have moved with the precision I need in my kata.
Yes, the importance of kata should seem obvious. In the military it's called "drill" I think. If you don't practice something repetitively to the point that it does not depend on conscious thought anymore then it can fail you when you need it. Training needs to get people beyond the point where confidence or lack thereof matters at all.

Something I like about Karate and similar is that there is no "game" to it. It's about eliminating the threat in the most efficient manner.

As for judo, it's a good compromise between self-defence or what might be even better labelled "physical avoidance" and sport (including exercise and entertainment). It can be a good base to add on things from Karate etc to make oneself more dangerous.

Great answer Reneta. You number one student :)

This is a quick brief on several of the principles used to interpret kata in the Shurite Kempo Technique Association. We teach these concepts in part during the Life Protection System seminars. :) enjoy, empty your cup remember this is just our way not the only way.

Last edited:
Just out of interest how often have you guys had to use your system in real self defence situations?
Excluding competitions.

Last edited:
Just out of interest how often have you guys had to use your system in real self defence situations?
Excluding competitions.

Hi dc good question.

I began teaching this method in 1981, I was a second dan in karate and hapkido and already had nearly a decade of training under my belt. However I discovered from them the difference between fighting and life protection. There is a concept of defensive timing that can be used to defeat if you will a stronger, faster and better fighter. And by defeat I mean stop him from his goals. You can defeat an attacker by escaping, not conquering. The attacker's goal is to conquer yours is simply to stay unharmed and escape. There are exceptions to this but are taught at our seminars and classes.

We train under this assumption, the attacker picks you for a reason. He has sized you up and he believes he can defeat you. The attacker also picks the time of the attack and the location or ground. As you can see the odds are stacked against you. However the attacker by nature has one disadvantage, he must use offense. Offense is necessarily inferior to defense. Defensive timing is different than a fighters timing and can be used efficiently to escape an attack.

I was introduced to the (Shurite Kempo 1981) LPS method by and American and his Okinawan instructor. They became my instructors. At the time I was doing descent in competition but really knew little about defense. My students were generally college students, bouncers, prison guards, police officers and military personal mostly airborne and special force.

I honestly cannot even guess how many times my students have protected themselves over the last 37 years since I began teaching LPS principles. Many times all successful that I know of. Personally I lived a rough life and I don't want to tell hero stories on the forum but I have protected myself in real situations many times. I was injured once when I was attacked by multiple attackers but I answered the bell and they did not, so I count that one as a success also. I have protected myself twice against attackers armed knife and broken bottle, I have scars but again I was conscious at the end and they were not.

Also dc our method is based on the Sun Tzu. So I would like to give you Sun Tzu's idea on defense. :) hope I answered your question sir. :) thank you

"Invincibility is defense. Vincibility is attack. Defend and one has a surplus. Attack and one is insufficient. Of old, those skilled at defense hid below the nine earths and moved above the nine heavens. Thus they could preserve themselves and be all-victorious." Sun Tzu chapter 4 The Art of War.

Again,my question and my comment to dc do not appear.
Is this a technical problem or message related.
Would like to get an answer!

Example of a punch drill taught at LPS seminars. This is not simply a choregraphed self defense movement. This drill is done with increasing intensity and complexity. In this video I am practicing at complexity 5, which simply means Tony can throw 5 attacks at a no step distance, in other words he has closed the gap and is close enough to hit me and my hands are down. All drills start with hands down, attacker at no step distance. Tony can throw a low or high right punch or low or high left punch or a push.

So how can you do this at a no step distance. Try it sometime :) not easy. I can teach you how.

The link takes you to a facebook video enjoy

Last edited:
This is another punch drill, notice defense does not change with offense. :)

In a course like this (given the time constraints and the variety of experience of the attendees), how do you use/promote "aliveness" or movement at the speed of life? In other words, how do you know that students will be able to translate what they've learned into real life situations?

Thanks,

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom