all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Life Protection System

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Gary Music is your system purely bare handed protection or do you make certain recommendations for personal carries? Example being pepper spray as @North Coast Miller suggested or some form of non lethal minor weapon, that maybe handbag or pocket friendly? Or use of common everyday items such as cars keys etc?
DC, what do you think of the utility of these kind of non-lethal weapons?

@Gary Music

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense about the system using defensive timing.

In general, I find that strength always helps and that the stronger an opponent is, the higher discrepancy of skill is necessary to overcome them, so I would be curious to see how that plays out with your system.

We drill defensive timing primarily. Strength is not the primary skill involved, the strength of the attacker will not make a difference if the timing is proper.

My instructor said something along the lines of,

it's better to be tried by 12 than buried by 6

if it comes down to that..

He was a Correctional Officer for a number of years before opening his school, but no he's never been arrested for violence as far as I know..

He's the most hard core, truly dangerous MA I've ever met, (comes from Johnstown Pa.) training for 42 yrs like clockwork, every class I've had with him has been brutal, and I'm talking thousands of classes.. It's all I know as I've trained with others for less than 10 total classes in 31 yrs. practicing. His style is now so ingrained in me that I couldn't change it if I tried..

I'm not so much concerned with situations that have already gone South or where a weapon of some sort is produced. When a situation is developing with only potential physical force in evidence, where one might be good to preempt, they should. It might not be obvious what exactly that looks like to folks who haven't read up on the penal code and appellate rulings.

You could save your butt or fry it (after saving it) depending...

I think my best ever self-defence technique was to move out of the downtown core.

Same here. The corner store 100yrds from my house got robbed by a couple people with bandanas and shotguns - this is a corner store, made off with what? A couple hundred? I used to carry 100% of the time and practiced often, a good bit of knife and stick as well.

While trouble can catch up with you anywhere, the odds change a lot depending on where you live, work, and get in and out of your car most often.

Same here. The corner store 100yrds from my house got robbed by a couple people with bandanas and shotguns - this is a corner store, made off with what? A couple hundred? I used to carry 100% of the time and practiced often, a good bit of knife and stick as well.

While trouble can catch up with you anywhere, the odds change a lot depending on where you live, work, and get in and out of your car most often.
Attempted break ins were so frequent where I lived that I couldn't even get bothered to get off the couch eventually - I had put I think 10 locks all over the door, hahaha! Shooting murders about every 3 months within a block of me. Home invasions. They blew up the corner store 3 blocks down from me, let alone store robberies. I don't know what you guys have heard about Canada, but this is some info for you if you thought it was some kind of paradise.

And, having said all of this, there really are a lot of low-level, non-lethal physical threats that go on, and it is indeed a relief to have judo behind me to know that an unarmed untrained guy has no chance against me, and also that I'm trained enough to not have to do much more than to get his grips off of me or mine. It is worth doing a sport that doubles as self-defence for this much more common kind of threat - from deranged people for example, or an otherwise normal person who loses his temper.

Gang shootings, knife attacks though, well... nope.

Here's a little story of a very low level threat. In Paris walking up a hill to a church there is what is called the "wrist band mafia". They grab your wrist, put a band on it and expect you to pay for it. They tried this on me. I did a simple twist of my arm to get out of the hold so he couldn't put the band on, said "don't touch me!" and kept walking up the hill. When I was at the top, the guy started shouting at me to come back down and fight him!!! I shouted back, "No, you come up here, I walked all the way up the hill, I'm tired and I'm not walking down and all the way up again!" and he said "No, you come down here!", and this went on for a bit, and then I just kept walking up the hill.

I still don't know what's wrong with the French police though. The whole world knows about these scammers, and why they don't go and arrest them all I cannot fathom.

It is worth doing a sport that doubles as self-defence for this much more common kind of threat
I've heard this criticism about some modern day jiujitsu schools. That many people are doing jiujitsu solely for sport and missing the "martial" part of the art all together.

Here's a little story of a very low level threat. In Paris walking up a hill to a church there is what is called the "wrist band mafia". They grab your wrist, put a band on it and expect you to pay for it. They tried this on me. I did a simple twist of my arm to get out of the hold so he couldn't put the band on, said "don't touch me!" and kept walking up the hill. When I was at the top, the guy started shouting at me to come back down and fight him!!! I shouted back, "No, you come up here, I walked all the way up the hill, I'm tired and I'm not walking down and all the way up again!" and he said "No, you come down here!", and this went on for a bit, and then I just kept walking up the hill.

I still don't know what's wrong with the French police though. The whole world knows about these scammers, and why they don't go and arrest them all I cannot fathom.

Just throw him to the ground, put his wristband on him and demand payment for your efforts :)

If he complains tell him next time all he needs to do is ask and you'll be happy to help him put it on

Just throw him to the ground, put his wristband on him and demand payment for your efforts :)

If he complains tell him next time all he needs to do is ask and you'll be happy to help him put it on
Yeah but getting into fights in a foreign country is not my first choice, hehehe!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom