all posts post new thread

Barbell Lifting & Kettlebells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Michael Scott

Level 7 Valued Member
I have a question for the more knowledgeable folks here. How would kettlebells & lifting with a barbell work best? Would the kettlebells be best used as additional lifts, after a workout program, or better on off days? As in, perform the workout, then the kettlebell, or barbell workout on Monday, kettlebell workout on Tuesday, rinse & repeat...... Any & all input is greatly appreciated.

Hello,

Depending on your current training volume, I'd do my kb training right after my weightlifting training. That way you can maintain your rest days. Nevertheless, be carefull with overtraining.

Strong swings lead to strong deadlifts for instance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've ran greyskull lp using double kb front Squats in place of regular Squats and double kb presses in place of the bar. Both worked very well for me. I have arthritis in my elbows and knees and find low bar Squats impossible and regular bar press inflame my elbows. Oddly I don't have the same issue with the bench press using much more weight.

@Michael Scott, what are your goals? What do you want your program to accomplish?

Depending on your current training volume, I'd do my kb training right after my weightlifting training.
Again, the goal matters. I do my swings first because S&S is my model and I want to be maximally explosive. I follow those with presses and end with barbell deadlifts.

-S-

@Steve Freides, I want to lose weight, and get in shape. I was having a discussion about kettlebells with a co-worker, and he asked if KBs would work well in a lifting program. I had no idea, so I asked the experts, on here. I am still leaning towards just kettlebells. At 50, I want to just lose weight, muscle will come, whereas my younger co-worker wants more mass.

@Michael Scott, what are your goals? What do you want your program to accomplish?

Again, the goal matters. I do my swings first because S&S is my model and I want to be maximally explosive. I follow those with presses and end with barbell deadlifts.

-S-

Thank you all for your input.

I have in the past, and periodically, like to superset sessions (in the following order) with barbell front squats with pullups, deadlifts with TGU, and bench press with swings. Volume is adaptable and it's a really efficient routine.

It would depend on what your goals are.
You can add them in as assistance work example heavy swings after your deadlifts or use them as a conditioning tool in a complex on non barbell days a couple days a week.

I'll join in with "It depends on your goals," but also would add that depending on your BB work, it could depend on your program.

What I mean is this: when I was combining the two, I did Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 Program. Hit the major lifts with the BB, and all of my supplemental lifting (except for pull-ups) were KB. That worked well for me.

Since then, I've dropped all my barbell work and just do KB and BW, so I'd agree with @Steve Freides as well, but I'm biased!

I've got plenty of experience doing both. Last year I ran 2x/week hardstyle kettlebell training built around the Clean and Jerk and Snatch with a 3x/week barbell split.

This past year I ran Simple and Sinister 2x/week with 2x/week Wendler 5/3/1 sessions, achieving simple.

And currently I run the ROP 3x/week with 5/3/1 2x/week.

So you can run barbell and kettlebell work concurrently if your smart about it. Both barbell programs I've used in conjunction with hard style kettlebell work feature PR sets for as many reps as possible at the end sets. I usually leave a rep or two in the tank to be on the safe side and I recover just fine.

Last edited:
@MattM I use a 24 KG bell for both lifts. I weigh 182.5 lbs and my goals are as follows for ROP, IAW the book's standards:

• Clean and Press a 40 KG kettlebell 5 times per arm.
  • Snatch 24 KG kettlebell 200+ reps in 10 minutes.

Clearly due to ROP being press heavy I use the push press instead of the standard barbell press in 5/3/1. I'll be happy to detail how my training design was planned if you'd like.

Last edited:
Hello,

@LoneRider
Very nice results !

Do you feel a carryover between kettlebells and barbells ?

Does such a training allow recovery ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

You stated your goal down a few on you post "lose weight and get in shape".
You already have some good answers.
There is also another protocol that has a goal of 10,000 swings in 40 days that will help you lose weight and get in good cardio condition.
If you search 10,000 swing protocol you should find it.
It requires 500 swings five days a week with a 24 kg for men.
In between sets you do other work like push ups,presses ect.
It's worth a try for your goals.
Also yes you can integrate kettlebells with barbell work.
As mentioned i also like swings as an assistance work for my deadlift.
I like kettle bell presses better than the barbell for me as they are more shoulder friendly.There are also many other unconventional KB movements you can do that work very well you just need to search and explore then try for yourself to see if movements are good for your goals.

I've got plenty of experience doing both. Last year I ran 2x/week hardstyle kettlebell training built around the Clean and Jerk and Snatch with a 3x/week barbell split.

This past year I ran Simple and Sinister 2x/week with 2x/week Wendler 5/3/1 sessions, achieving simple.

And currently I run the ROP 3x/week with 5/3/1 2x/week.

So you can run barbell and kettlebell work concurrently if your smart about it. Both barbell programs I've used in conjunction with hard style kettlebell work feature PR sets for as many reps as possible at the end sets. I usually leave a rep or two in the tank to be on the safe side and I recover just fine.

I'm really curious how you set this up.
What template 5/3/1 did you use for the two days?
On the ROP days did you do pull-ups? Did you do swings/snatches?
Thanks,

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom