all posts post new thread

Barbell Lifting & Kettlebells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Warrior_Scientist here's my 5/3/1 split:

Day 1:

Bench 5/3/1 or 65%/75%/85%x3
Power Clean 5/3/1 or 65%/75%/85%x3
Front Squats 3x3 or 4x2 or 6x1
Snatch Grip Deadlift 65%/75%/85%x3 or 5/3/1

Day 2

Snatch or Clean and Jerk 5-6 Singles
Push Press 65%/75%/85%x3 or 5/3/1
Weighted Chins 2x6-8 or 5x3 or 5x5
Squat 5/3/1 or 65%/75%/85%x3

Notes:

• Snatches or Clean and Jerks alternate, like I do one lift one week and the other lift the next week, at no set % of 1RM, just focusing on making not missing lifts
  • My 'week' is really two weeks long as far as 5/3/1 is concerned, so the first week is focused on giving Bench, Power Clean, and Squat the 5/3/1 treatment and the second the Push Press and Snatch Grip Deadlift. The 'off lifts' of a given week are done for an easy 3x3 at 65%/75%/85%
Due more to logistics (my doorframe pull-up bar did some damage to my wall) I don't do pullups with presses any more, but do them throughout the my barbell days in easy sets of six. I do swings 2x/week and snatches once a week according to the Rite of Passage.

I tend to do EMOM for my light and moderate days and kick it into gear on the heavy days where I gun for reps like a maniac.

@Warrior_Scientist here's my 5/3/1 split:

Day 1:

Bench 5/3/1 or 65%/75%/85%x3
Power Clean 5/3/1 or 65%/75%/85%x3
Front Squats 3x3 or 4x2 or 6x1
Snatch Grip Deadlift 65%/75%/85%x3 or 5/3/1

Day 2

Snatch or Clean and Jerk 5-6 Singles
Push Press 65%/75%/85%x3 or 5/3/1
Weighted Chins 2x6-8 or 5x3 or 5x5
Squat 5/3/1 or 65%/75%/85%x3

Notes:

• Snatches or Clean and Jerks alternate, like I do one lift one week and the other lift the next week, at no set % of 1RM, just focusing on making not missing lifts
  • My 'week' is really two weeks long as far as 5/3/1 is concerned, so the first week is focused on giving Bench, Power Clean, and Squat the 5/3/1 treatment and the second the Push Press and Snatch Grip Deadlift. The 'off lifts' of a given week are done for an easy 3x3 at 65%/75%/85%
Due more to logistics (my doorframe pull-up bar did some damage to my wall) I don't do pullups with presses any more, but do them throughout the my barbell days in easy sets of six. I do swings 2x/week and snatches once a week according to the Rite of Passage.

I tend to do EMOM for my light and moderate days and kick it into gear on the heavy days where I gun for reps like a maniac.

So one cycle of 5/3/1 takes 6 weeks. That's similar to a 2 day template from beyond 5/3/1 that I was looking at. It's:
Week 1:
A (e.g. tuesday)
squat 5/3/1
squat assistance 5 x 10 or 5's pro (hypertrophy or strength phase)
deadlift assistance 5 x 10 (good morning, kb swings, rdl, back extensions, etc)
B (e.g. saturday)
bench 5/3/1 (or in my case floor press since I don't have a bench)
press assistance (see above rep schemes)
back/rear delt 5 x 10 (pull-ups, rows)

Conditioning is 2 days per week on this template, so ROP could work well with this template (you're in the military, so you have way more work capacity than I do). Of course, I'll have to watch out for recovery. Good luck on your training.

@Steve Freides, I want to lose weight, and get in shape. I was having a discussion about kettlebells with a co-worker, and he asked if KBs would work well in a lifting program. I had no idea, so I asked the experts, on here. I am still leaning towards just kettlebells. At 50, I want to just lose weight, muscle will come, whereas my younger co-worker wants more mass.

Thank you all for your input.

I'm currently working heavy days interspersed with slightly lighter high volume ones. I'm using KB for both but would prefer to use barbell for my heavy cycles, and that's how I'd use them if I were at a gym.

I would probably not include maximal bar lifts at this stage in your progress, KBs would be enough/ideal. Once you get some inertia going you could add heavier bar work. Your younger co worker could follow a similar program, the increase in mass is mostly from eating more. It doesn't take much of tweak from a GPP program to make it a more hypertrophic one.

As a rule I tend to do my heavy load/low rep/long rest workouts separate from my higher volume KB workouts. Have to give plenty of rest - depending on intensity I wouldn't be doing these on consecutive days.

So one cycle of 5/3/1 takes 6 weeks. That's similar to a 2 day template from beyond 5/3/1 that I was looking at.

Conditioning is 2 days per week on this template, so ROP could work well with this template (you're in the military, so you have way more work capacity than I do). Of course, I'll have to watch out for recovery. Good luck on your training.

My programming is a sort of hybrid of aspects of the 'Full Body Power Clean version' from Beyond 5/3/1 and the sets/reps scheme from 5/3/1 for Powerlifting.

I use the 3/5/1 template, where I go for PR sets on the 3x3 and 5/3/1 weeks and if I get good numbers (8 or more reps on the 3x3 and 5 on the 5/3/1 week) I do between 2-5 heavy singles and call it a day. For the 3x5 week I just hit the required reps for some moderate volume. This approach has gotten me hitting my old 1RM on Bench (220 lbs) for two singles and a new PR on the Power Clean (to 202.5 lbs from a former max of 185 lbs).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom