all posts post new thread

Barbell Lifts during rest period?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DASHEP26

First Post
Hi, I’m new to this so I apologise if I’m breaking any standing protocols. What’s the opinions on doing other lifts during your rest period? As the recommended rest periods for strength training are upwards of 5 minutes could you alternate between bench and dead’s to maximise time. Obviously you’d want to choose lifts that predominantly use different muscle groups. I’ve listened to Pavel say you can do other exercises during your rest period but does he mean other power lifts or more low weight/low energy exercises?

Such training is certainly possible. Pavel has recommended it for busy trainers and included doing so with the three power lifts. Rest periods were around 2 minutes and intensity more moderate but volume higher. Something lik 3 x 5 w 70 % or 5 x 3 at 80 %, maybe singles and doubles around 85 %.

Fatigue cycling was the phenomenon which suggested that alternating two lifts would allow recovery for the first lift if the involved muscle groups were dissimilar. I.e Squat and Bench Press, Deadlift and single arm press. Usually, with the three power lifts it would be more along Sq-Bench-DL-bench-sq. The bench would cut between squats to accommodate their similar nature. I’d recommend, if possible, to include a lesser spinal loaded movement after a large one, which is why in my example, I included a one arm k-bell press over standard barbell press. The bench, or other horizontal presses, shouldn’t have as much lumbar stress as a squat or deadlift.

of course, such training could work with smaller assistance exercises for different reasons. Time strapped full body could be dips, chin-ups and squats or DL done as a circuit. Such a cycle or of similar nature is good for fighters, who need conditioning on top of strength or power. Waterbury uses this method.

Arnold’s antagonist training where a direct antagonist pattern is done can also be done as it stretches the muscle that just worked in the previous lift. Bench press and rows, chin-ups and overhead presses. Also saves time and promotes balance.

Using smaller exercises can help activate certain muscles that need to be activated so they can contribute more to a lift ie planks or glutes bridges before squats or isolation exercises are used by bodybuilders who want a larger movement to affect a muscle group more readily. So if they wanted to hit hit their triceps harder with CG benches, they may do some push downs to “feel” this muscle working and this make them more active for the big movement. the same works with movement patterns.

finally, power exercises done before a big lift have been shown to activate large HTMU and force production in similar movement patterns. Plot-pushups or mes ball throws before bench and jumps or swings before squats or deadlifts. Such exercises are done for power, so quickly and for less than 3 reps.

Last edited:
Hi, I’m new to this so I apologise if I’m breaking any standing protocols. What’s the opinions on doing other lifts during your rest period? As the recommended rest periods for strength training are upwards of 5 minutes could you alternate between bench and dead’s to maximise time. Obviously you’d want to choose lifts that predominantly use different muscle groups. I’ve listened to Pavel say you can do other exercises during your rest period but does he mean other power lifts or more low weight/low energy exercises?

Definitely. Really what you should be asking yourself is "do I feel recovered?" As you get stronger however 5-10 minute rest periods start to feel damn good.

Supersets are common. Especially in bodybuilding circles. I like to use giantsets for my pre/rehab work, to bang out a lot of work in a short period of time.

Could double up as low level conditioning too.

It depends on your goals, and your lifts. If you are doing light stuff, no problem. If you are taxing yourself with heavy weight, not so much. For example, if you do a sets of Squats at 80-85%, you are not likely to have the glycogen or oxygen in your cells to do much else immediately. If you CNS is in a fatigued state, you are equally going to have issues. If you are working in the 60-65% range, no reason to not go ahead and do something "Opposite" in between. Or shorten the rest periods.

EDT relies on this concept.

I find it to be okay for sub-maximal grinds and moderate volume.

But it doesn't work for ballistics (snatch, clean) for me, at all.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom