all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Lighter getups x more reps to get past plateau?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Halfakneecap

Level 6 Valued Member
After seeing the amazing one hour of getups WR thread, I thought about how I am kind of stuck at 24kg getups. I’m thought about dropping to 20kg and doing continuous reps on each side to help get past it. S&S requires 5 each side, which I normally do with 24, but I thought I might try 6x20kg continuously, adding a rep each few workouts/week. Or just setting a timer and “get upping” til it goes off, progressively increasing the time?

I do prefer getups and C&P to the swing

Thoughts ?

I just finished the left side, the slight drop in weight meant I had no worries about holding the weight in place/wobble and I could just keep doing the reps. Last rep had some fatigue but the bell was solid in position.

I was on the strongfirst Kettlebells plan last summer. And on my medium days, I worked up to 20 total with the 20k while I was doing comfortable singles with the 28k.
It made my trunk feel indestructible.

Can you press the 24kg? I've been incorporating presses with the 12 and 16kg to help in transitioning to the 24kg, based off this article Your Multipurpose Strength Tool (aka the Get-up) | StrongFirst.

I've found presses in every position up and down (9 presses per rep) with the 12kg and the 24kg has felt more stable, still heavy, but more controlled. Brett only talks about pressing on the way up (5 presses), so maybe go with his method over mine. I figure he knows more than I do, I only did the 9 by mistake. A happy mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.

Also, if there is a certain transition you notice you are weak in, try just working that position of the getup more than the whole move, I k ow I have read that somewhere in the Strongfirst literature, not sure if it is S&S or something else.

After seeing the amazing one hour of getups WR thread, I thought about how I am kind of stuck at 24kg getups. I’m thought about dropping to 20kg and doing continuous reps on each side to help get past it. S&S requires 5 each side, which I normally do with 24, but I thought I might try 6x20kg continuously, adding a rep each few workouts/week. Or just setting a timer and “get upping” til it goes off, progressively increasing the time?

Thoughts ?

I just finished the left side, the slight drop in weight meant I had no worries about holding the weight in place/wobble and I could just keep doing the reps. Last rep had some fatigue but the bell was solid in position.
Have you tried the progression from S&S 2.0?

Personally, adding more single getups didn't help me do heavier getups. I did find compressing rest to help - e.g. 10 timeless becomes 1 OTM x 10 min, and when 10 min was easy, I was usually ready to go up 4kg and start working with 10 timeless at the next bell up.

Can you press the 24kg? I've been incorporating presses with the 12 and 16kg to help in transitioning to the 24kg, based off this article Your Multipurpose Strength Tool (aka the Get-up) | StrongFirst.

I've found presses in every position up and down (9 presses per rep) with the 12kg and the 24kg has felt more stable, still heavy, but more controlled. Brett only talks about pressing on the way up (5 presses), so maybe go with his method over mine. I figure he knows more than I do, I only did the 9 by mistake. A happy mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.

Also, if there is a certain transition you notice you are weak in, try just working that position of the getup more than the whole move, I k ow I have read that somewhere in the Strongfirst literature, not sure if it is S&S or something else.
Yes, I can press the 24, I do 10 x clean and 3 presses once a week, which I’ve definitely found helped getups. I can do the 24kg x 5, though sometimes I need to do singles, sometimes I can do 3 in a row then need a break. Seems to be taking a while that’s all.
Transitions are usually good, though sometimes I struggle more than other days.

Have you tried the progression from S&S 2.0?

Personally, adding more single getups didn't help me do heavier getups. I did find compressing rest to help - e.g. 10 timeless becomes 1 OTM x 10 min, and when 10 min was easy, I was usually ready to go up 4kg and start working with 10 timeless at the next bell up.
I don’t know if I have 2.0 ( my copy doesn’t say 2.0 ), but that’s something I can try too, thanks.

Thoughts ?

What is your 'sticking' point on the 24kg get ups? Shoulder stability, core, standing up from tall kneeling?

Shoulder stability: maybe 20kg waiters walks, some short walks with a 24kg
Core: hardstyle planks, practice the roll to elbow and back down under control with the 24kg, double 24kg racked carries
Standing: Reverse the movement, starting from the top with the 24kg, maybe even from the top to tall kneeling and back to standing

Do 3 sets of 2+2 get ups once a week, with a bell lighter. I think this was part of the SFG 1 plan by Brett. I did 'heavy' Get Up's on the 1+1 day, medium Get Up's on the 2+2, when I could complete the 3x 2+2 comfortably, the 'heavy' became the 2+2 and the 1+1 the next bell up.

I did this with 40 and could 'easily' do the 48 afterwards

What is your 'sticking' point on the 24kg get ups? Shoulder stability, core, standing up from tall kneeling?

Shoulder stability: maybe 20kg waiters walks, some short walks with a 24kg
Core: hardstyle planks, practice the roll to elbow and back down under control with the 24kg, double 24kg racked carries
Standing: Reverse the movement, starting from the top with the 24kg, maybe even from the top to tall kneeling and back to standing
It’s no real sticking point, I can do 5 on each side, I just don’t feel anywhere near ready for 32kg, and some days, it feels quite hard. I always get 5 on each side, though it can feel tough some days.

It’s no real sticking point, I can do 5 on each side, I just don’t feel anywhere near ready for 32kg, and some days, it feels quite hard. I always get 5 on each side, though it can feel tough some days.
In that case, you could probably substitute 32kg into my previous comment, practice roll to elbow with the 32kg, if you can press it (or push press, jerk) spend time with it overhead - never to failure, could get messy ROFL

Can you upload a vid of your getups??

Have you gotten any coaching either virtual or in person?

Can you upload a vid of your getups??

Have you gotten any coaching either virtual or in person?
I will do that. I have Covid at the moment ( mildest of mild symptoms), and so in isolation I dug out for a retaining wall and now my back is reminding me I’m not 20 anymore! Give me a week and I’ll put a video up.

I will do that. I have Covid at the moment ( mildest of mild symptoms), and so in isolation I dug out for a retaining wall and now my back is reminding me I’m not 20 anymore! Give me a week and I’ll put a video up.

The constant struggle for most of us, reminding ourselves we're no longer 20.. but it doesn't mean we still can't make good progress

The constant struggle for most of us, reminding ourselves we're no longer 20.. but it doesn't mean we still can't make good progress
Yeah, I spent last week driving around the state, and long drives are never great for my lower back. Stiffens up.

On a good note, I found Original Strength resets, and they seem to be good at loosening me up.

I probably could go straight back to S&S tomorrow but I’ll give the resets a few more days and then dive back in

First, thank you all for posting exactly what I'm looking for on getups here. I'm stuck at 40kg, tried to even roll the 48kg into a press and gravity wouldn't give it up for me! So these tips are all great!! I did an extended Simple style program today with 16x10 with the 32 (yesterday was a more traditional Sinister 0.5), and then for the getups I did 8x1+1. My 32 has felt light since the fall of '20, so the extra reps make good sense on my light days. I may just end up doing 2+2 x3-5 to really push thru on these light days. Plus condensing the rest on the heavy days (when I can) makes good sense too.

My other thought that I don't see discussed much is one of these weird things that a patient got me thinking about years ago. Something along the lines of the ring finger really being the one responsible for helping you lift things. While that's not quite what I've found works for the getup, I have found that by focusing on a strong ulnar deviation of the pressing hand by pulling the pinky in tight seems to engage the lat more to allow for an easier press. This overemphasizes the "punch the sky" position of the pressing hand. I'm removed from doing S&S (6 months of Giant 1.x with 20's), and I was definitely noticing that my arm/shoulder wasn't as strong with the 32 as I did the last 2 sets, needing more focus on engaging the pinky to stabilize the shoulder. And to bring it around to the patient's comment, there's an anatomical connection between the ring & pinky fingers...so it may apply here.

Happy lifting!

First, thank you all for posting exactly what I'm looking for on getups here. I'm stuck at 40kg, tried to even roll the 48kg into a press and gravity wouldn't give it up for me! So these tips are all great!! I did an extended Simple style program today with 16x10 with the 32 (yesterday was a more traditional Sinister 0.5), and then for the getups I did 8x1+1. My 32 has felt light since the fall of '20, so the extra reps make good sense on my light days. I may just end up doing 2+2 x3-5 to really push thru on these light days. Plus condensing the rest on the heavy days (when I can) makes good sense too.

My other thought that I don't see discussed much is one of these weird things that a patient got me thinking about years ago. Something along the lines of the ring finger really being the one responsible for helping you lift things. While that's not quite what I've found works for the getup, I have found that by focusing on a strong ulnar deviation of the pressing hand by pulling the pinky in tight seems to engage the lat more to allow for an easier press. This overemphasizes the "punch the sky" position of the pressing hand. I'm removed from doing S&S (6 months of Giant 1.x with 20's), and I was definitely noticing that my arm/shoulder wasn't as strong with the 32 as I did the last 2 sets, needing more focus on engaging the pinky to stabilize the shoulder. And to bring it around to the patient's comment, there's an anatomical connection between the ring & pinky fingers...so it may apply here.

Happy lifting!
Your pinky comment made me think of a tip from Fabio for heavier getups. He changes the grip so instead of putting the thumb webbing into the curve, he puts his pinky into the other curve. Might be something to try next time you do get ups! I couldn't find the video, but maybe someone else has the link saved.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom