all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Lighter getups x more reps to get past plateau?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Your pinky comment made me think of a tip from Fabio for heavier getups. He changes the grip so instead of putting the thumb webbing into the curve, he puts his pinky into the other curve. Might be something to try next time you do get ups! I couldn't find the video, but maybe someone else has the link saved.
Was taught this as well at a recent kettlebell 201 event, but in was in the context of pressing.

Your pinky comment made me think of a tip from Fabio for heavier getups. He changes the grip so instead of putting the thumb webbing into the curve, he puts his pinky into the other curve. Might be something to try next time you do get ups! I couldn't find the video, but maybe someone else has the link saved.
If I’m thinking of the same vid, i think he said to pretend you are holding a torch, like the statue of liberty. I could be thinking of something completely different too though.

Ironically I have a minor shoulder issue at the moment and am about to do Giant 3.0 with DFSQ while I sort it out, but I think doing some lighter weight getups might help. I can do lighter getups with the bad shoulder, it’s when I’m doing the other side and I’m support my weight with the bad side, it gives me some grief. Currently doing bottoms up press to help strengthen it back up. Just finished Giant 3.0, and didn’t do getups, as my upper back and shoulders ( and basically everywhere! ) were getting lots of stimulus

Is this the video you mean?

If it is, I found it made a massive difference in how solid my getups feel.

Is this the video you mean?

If it is, I found it made a massive difference in how solid my getups feel.
Yes exactly that!

I'm only stepping up the TGU from 12kg and 16kg now:) Lunges were my 1st problem. What do you heavier lifters think of this practice each week?

I've practiced these 2 structures in the past week instead of TGU, with some Crush Grip here 'n there. Both sessions done after brief warmup and swinging ladders =135 total. (edit) Iwill watch the videos that you've just linked. thanks

a) left hand -> press-> stay in 'waiter's position' throughout
- left leg forward lunge, press
- right leg forward lunge, press
- left leg back lunge, press
- right leg back lunge, press
rest to 65% HR
b) right hand as above
rest to 60% HR
repeat from a) I almost managed 2 full sets = 16 lunges

c) I see points to add a kneeling windmill, and recently came across a kneeling snatch.

alternate take:
8 sets of 1+1 lunges/presses at the bottom and/or top:
1. clean/press LH left leg foward, set down
2. clean/press RH left leg forward, set down
rest
3. clean/press LH RL backward, set down
4. clean/press RL RL backward, set down
rest, etc. I completed this with difficulty.

24/28 kg is on my mind, on my mind. 24/28 kg is on my mind.

-S-
Steve - do you have any thoughts on making that work if my percentages use "in between" bells that I don't have? My 1RM is 40kg, so my table looks like this:
1RM / 100%
90%
85%
75%
65%
60%
50%
40​
36​
34​
30​
26​
24​
20​

@John K, if you have sizes that are close together, you may only need to be able to do two in a row with your current bell, but if the jump is larger, you might need to work up to more reps before jumping up in weight.

-S-

I saw this video and thought others might benefit as well. It provides several ways to progress, and chiefly uses doubles to bridge between a bell you can do a get up with and a bell you can't.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom