all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Limb Length Discrepancy. How to train?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Norski

Level 5 Valued Member
Greetings. I've recently discovered something interesting about myself and I'm not sure exactly what to do about it.

Apparently I have hemihyperplasia and the left side of my body is about 5% bigger than my right. I'm a full glove/shoe size bigger and my boxing reach is 1.5-2" longer on my left arm. Kind of trips me out but the chicks dig it (if eccentric as hell is cool..) Anyway, I've measured my legs and my left one is also indeed longer than my right. Not so much I've been able to notice for 28 years, I knew my hands were different sizes but I attributed this to playing guitar for 2-6 hours a day all through jr high and high school.

I've had mild to severe SI joint pain for 10 years now. I messed my back up "deadlifting" 155# when I was 19 and stupid and woke up the next day unable to roll over in bed. I've been through 3 SFG certs and studied under a Team Leader for 2+ years and the SI joint pain has been a bit of a moving target the whole time no matter how much emphasis I put on keeping an a#@ shelf or dialing my movement in as much as possible. I was nursing it all through my last SFG cert in December 2017 and when my back locked up and I fell on my a#@ during my 4th rep of my DKFS test I figured I had deeper work to do than just punch the clock strength work

Now I suspect it's not a neuro-muscular issue, having a leg slightly longer than the other constantly pushing my pelvis up to one side every day for all this time has done some weird stuff to my hip complex. I suspect this issue is in the realm of an SFMA but given I'm structurally different on both sides and the abnormality is so rare they treat each person that has it like they're patient zero I'm in experimental territory.

Pulling conventional usually aggravated my back and I've always been better at pulling sumo more comfortably, now I know why. Wider feet = flatter hips since my weight gets distributed differently. Standing on hard ground at concerts for 4 hours has always hurt, even with an a#@ shelf, I just figured I had chronic gluteal amnesia or some kind of SI subluxation despite focusing on my hinge pattern and mobility with a vengeance for years.

How would I best approach certification again? I've made a pact with myself to stay SFG certified but the only thing I've been able to do since December is bodyweight strength. I did a hard set of SS swings with a gym buddy who told me my form looked "perfect" and woke up unable to roll over again. Was walking bent over like old man for weeks until it relaxed

I absolutely do not want to look at this as an opportunity to slack on preparation, I hate participation trophy culture and I want to know I own the certification when I come back for it. I'm not sure how to approach training for this though outside of wearing one shoe and letting the bar hang at an angle when I deadlift. Does anyone train people who has a prosthetic or some type of abnormality they've been able to overcome? Most the cues like "tense your glutes" "screw your legs into the ground" "brace your abs" "stretch your hip flexors" tend to aggrivate it after a while rather than relieve it like it used to. Piriformis stretches feel wonderful but only do so much. I've got a knot that feels like bone in my SI joint that's resistent as hell. ..and I'm a bit lopsided.

I'm on muscle relaxers, and I'm doing a ton of myofacial release with FMS correctives. I'm loosely familiar with the SFMA and tested to have a dysfunctional QL on the long side last I checked. Piriformis and surrounding muscles are quite tight, and my left hip feels best when it's rotated out. Always has. More than one girlfriend has told me she recognizes me from afar by my walk.

Depending on perspective this may dip into medical territory so let's say from a hypothetical standpoint.. How would you address an athlete with the above conditions? I take full and complete accountability for all and any action I may take with the information I might receive. I'm not getting surgery to lengthen my right leg/arm though. I just want to train like I used to.

I'll keep grooving on my pullup program and do what's been helping but this is different than it's been the last few years. The condition likely isn't progressive given my growth plates closed a while ago but I was able to fight through it for a full 3 day cert weekend a few years ago and now I'm very apprehensive to do even a set of swings with anything heavier than a 16kg. I miss being able to flip the crazy switch and throw myself into a training session.

Any insight? Academically speaking of course. There's got to be some Dikul level story worthy of a book forward about an athlete who ended up pulling 900#+ hungover who had a dwarf leg or something.. I'm ears to anything

Thanks in advance, I'm aiming to get my name back in the local instructors list on the site again. I'll find a way, even if it's just as simple as wearing one shoe when I go through next time.

@Norski

I can’t help you, I’m just an amateur. I admire your will to want to train on your terms and get recertified.

You really look to have a deep knowledge of your body and situation.

I will allow myself to ask a few questions, for the sake of discussion at least:
1. How does your body react to single leg deadlifts and pistols? Unilateral stuff like tgu and one arm push ups? Single Leg presses? Kneeling presses?
2. How does it react to crawling?
3. Have you considered reaching out to a guy like professor Stuart Mc Gill? Or he mentioned Dikul, and his academy/organization?

You probably tried more than I could think of, but I would be really keen to hear how you feel after doing swings and then a solid series of crawling.

I hate to say it, but it’s tempting to see how cheery picking what works for you best would work for your body, as your main training, instead of the standard lifts as a way to prep for the certification.

I really want to see you find some answers here and accomplish your goals.

One more thought. Geoff Neupert, in his newsletter, mentioned ab training for an ex soldier who lost his whole glute. Worth checking out on what that would do for your lower back.

Can you put a mat under your shorter leg/foot when you're kettlebell or barbell training?

My left leg is longer than my right and in street shoes I wear orthopedics. As a teenager I got 1.4 cm elevation and now it is 0.7 cm. But stuff like this can just be hip misalignment (pelvis tilted differently left and right and different femur positioning).

Crawling and Dead Bugs (back on the ground, tailbone off the floor) help, I think.

I am currently following S&S and "the sore knee solution" by @Geoff Neupert. The latter features a lot of core stabilization work and is great for motor patterning and general movement quality (mobility, pain reduction, stability, coordination).

I also prefer a wider swing stance.

People have all kinds of asymmetries, so it might not be a deal breaker. Unilateral stuff (also staggered stances) would work better than classic symmetrical exerxises. Our body is built to carry heavy stuff on uneven terrain, so yes, be careful, but not pessimistic.

Can you put a mat under your shorter leg/foot when you're kettlebell or barbell training?
Excellent idea but seems to me, an appropriately built orthotic insert that you can wear in any shoe and just wear all the time would be even better. Over the very long term, your spine, ankles, knees, hips, neck might be happier not having to compensate. Of course you will and have notice the impact MUCH faster when working under load, but repetitive stress over the long term, even if very small amount, can really add up.

@Norski, in your place, I'd work with your doctors. A standard treatment would be a heel lift or custom insole in the shoe on your shorter side, and train in in shoes and not barefoot. A podiatrist would be where, after my general doctor, I'd go - the same person who prescribes custom orthotics.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom