all posts post new thread

Barbell Linear Cycles and Structured Waves

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Just a fairly novice lifter's opinion here (and I think it is valid because that is the readership PttP is targeted at):

Pavel is very clear in describing the various cycling options in PttP with example linear cycles, flexible wave cycles, structured wave cycles and step cycles.

His use of the term linear cycle is clear and consistent.

I don't think the author is to blame if people lump that term in with the linear progression used in Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting strength.

While there are undoubtedly parts of PttP which are difficult to master (feed forward tension has got me) the cycling part isn't. That chapter is pure gold for me.
I agree with you. Either I didn't explain correctly or maybe you misunderstood.

People lumping Linear Progression and Linear Cycle is not Pavel's fault. It is a confusion in this specific thread. Pavel actually talks about Linear Progression and how it's unsustainable to just add weight to the bar indefinitely. His alternative? Linear Cycling. Since LP is unsustainable for more than 6 months in the beginning stage (as I explained before), he makes perfect sense.

What is confusing is that this Linear Cycling alternative, he calls "Russian Cycling". But those programs are nothing more than basic, good old Western Periodization. The Russian scientist he quotes developed some other different form of Periodization that doesn't look like that of PTTP's. That's all. At no point did I mean that the program itself is confusing.

I honestly am confused by this conversation a little and could use some clarification. I don't think linear progression is only used in one specific manner. Can't we use linear progression within micro, meso, or macro cycles independently while using the same or different progression in others cycles for periodization? I don't think linear progression and linear cycles are always mutually exclusive. Isn't all periodization some combination of progressions and cycles? Is it only liner progression if used in all the different layers of cycles together?

It's very hard to understand what you mean on writing. LP's micro/meso/macro cycles are all the same length and that is one workout. That's because you perform basically the same workout every time with only a small change in weight (usually with microplates). Linear Cycle from PTTP has a micro cycle of one workout, a mesocycle of 8-16 workouts, and the macro cycle might be 1-4 months.

I don't think how much more I could explain this but honestly, I would just read Practical Programming, or Supertraining (very dense though) or read the Programming series of Powerlifting to Win:
Powerlifting Programs PowerliftingToWin

Once you read any of those, I think you'll get the hang of the nomenclature.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom