all posts post new thread

Kettlebell List of Ideas for Kettlebell Variety Days

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pnigro

Level 3 Valued Member
Sometimes we want to spice things a little, maybe take our kettlebells to the beach and do something different.

I'm thinking circuits, ladders, and complexes.

They can be either easy (for say, ROP's variety days) or hard (you want to push it and really sweat it).

Here are some taken from Dan John's Minimal Fat Loss, Minimal Equipment article:

Swings x 20 seconds
Push-ups x 6
Rest x 30 seconds
Repeat for 15 minutes

Swings x 20
Push-ups x 10
Keep the swings x 20 and
Work down the Push-ups: 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Swings x 10, goblet squats x 10, push-ups x 10
Swings x 10, goblet squats x 9, push-ups x 9
Continue until you hit:
Swings x 10, goblet squats x 1, push-ups x 1

Keep'em coming.

Last edited:
Some double KB stuff...

Dan John's Armor Building Complex
:
2x Double Clean
1x Double Press
3x Double Front Squat
10/15/20min (really up to you how long you want to go) as many quality rounds as possible.
Take KBs that you can only double press 3-4 times.

There are more from Dan but i'm reluctant to post them, because they're from his books.

Total Tension Complex: http://www.strongfirst.com/total-tension-kettlebell-complex/
(Sure it's designed as a short program, but still works as a nice standalone workout)

Moving Target KB Complex: http://www.strongfirst.com/moving-target-kettlebell-complex/

Pat Flynn - The Great Destroyer: http://www.chroniclesofstrength.com/the-great-destroyer-kettlebell-complex/

Last edited:
Here are a couple I designed from guidelines on the book that started it all: The Russian Kettlebell Challenge: Xtreme Fitness for Hard Living Comrades. I've been doing these on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the past few months between my barbell work on Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

Session 1:

Clean and Jerk (2 x kettlebell): 8 x 10-16 (using a bell one can lift for 5-16 reps)
Pullups or Horizontal Pulls: 8 x 6
Snatch: 5 x 10-16/arm
100 yds easy jogs (pick either the snatch or clean and jerk to do these between so you'll either run a total of 800 yards or 500 yards (or 1000 yards if you chose to do this: Snatch right arm - Run - Snatch left arm)
Shadow box (opposite of which exercise you're running in, so if you run between clean and jerks, do a bit of shadowboxing between sets of snatches)

Session 2:

Long Cycle Clean and Jerk: 5-8 x 6-16 reps
Pullups or horizontal pulls: 5-8 x 6 reps
Easy jog: 2-3 miles at nose breathing pace

Pnigro, read up on "practice" vs. "workout".

Hi Pavel, I'm totally aware of the difference, I'm a fan of your material.

I was actually going to put a disclaimer on the thread saying that I didn't really want to use the term WOD, but I couldn't think of something else.

Anyway, I'm looking for stand-alone training sessions that can be fun to do.

Let's keep'em coming!

@Pnigro, how about Kettlebell Variety Practices as a title?

I confess to not having considered the idea that my training is fun.

-S-

I prefer WOYs - Workouts of the Year. Scratch that, Work-ins of the Year.

I am not sure about the fun either, but I am sure about the pleasure - I am pleased to see that I am getting stronger.

It's just something to do 2 or 3 times a month.

I'm going to the beach next weekend with some friends. Might be fun to do some complexes and then hit the water.

I like the name Kettlebell Variety Practices! I'll change the title.

Pat Flynn who's already been mentioned has a lot of great ideas on his site (http://www.chroniclesofstrength.com) and youtube channel.

A couple little supersets repeated for few rounds that I like

- Swings (say 10-20) immediately followed by hardstyle plank for time
- Double clean (say 5) immediately followed by rack hold for time - go heavy.

A couple little supersets repeated for few rounds that I like

- Swings (say 10-20) immediately followed by hardstyle plank for time
- Double clean (say 5) immediately followed by rack hold for time - go heavy.
I like the simplicity of these.

Others that I've done

- 9 swings, rack the 10th one and press it. (You can rest in the rack or at the top of the press then continue directly on with the next hand, or you can put the bell down between sets.)

- alternate sides w/ single bell, single rep C&P using a light bell.

-S-

Goblet squats, TGU's, windmills and Armbars for me. I'm using those variety days in ROP to work on my mobility and retain TGU technique for when I revert back to Sinister in the Spring.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom