all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Loaded carries compared to static holds

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
heavy holds or even heavy marching on the spot.
Those are two different things. I'd consider marching in place somewhere between a static hold and a weighted walk. I couldn't really say where in between, but any sort of movement you'd do while holding a weight will require more stabilization than if you just stand or sit in one place.

-S-

I'd consider marching in place somewhere between a static hold and a weighted walk.
If you march verrrrry slowly so that inertia does not assist in balance, maybe fully weighted on one foot for 2 breaths then switch, you get a significant balance challenge/training effect. I've been doing this for several months holding single kb in rack position and have noticed a marked overall improvement in my balance. It shows up in things like standing on one foot to dry the other one after a shower. The effect was enough to almost be a "WTH effect".

A session I like is to substitute 60 meter " sprints " with 2 32's in place of the 2H swings in Q&D 015. For me the faster I go the more the bells start bouncing and become harder to hold on to and I feel more work in the upper back. If I didn't have the space the static hardstyle rack plank from @natewhite39 sounds like a nasty ( in a good way ) alternative.

I just finished spending the morning hacking through the forest on my property with a machete, finding all the dead hemlocks and marking them for removal, crashing through broken terrain where the 'ground' is a false pile of needles and leaves, and then dragging some deadwood down slope to go in the wood pile.

Risk of twisting an ankle was pretty high, so each step had to be gingerly tested before committing.

Trying to replicate those movement challenges in the 'fitness world'?

Doing things in the wilderness always reminds me how constrained weight training is.

Trying to replicate those movement challenges in the 'fitness world'?

Doing things in the wilderness always reminds me how constrained weight training is.
Or indeed in any "unusual" environment - my grandfather worked in the pottery industry 1920's to 1960's he once told me that carrying crates of newly made pots (often on the head) made you strong but what really made it work was carrying it carefully so that nothing got broken while navigating around the factory floor.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom