all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Loaded Carries

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Looks pretty nice (especially for the price). When you tried them, do they stand on their own? Do you set one up (upright), set it down on the spindle side, set up the other one, then have to finagle to get them both gripped before you go? I would want to know they can "fall" outwards (after setting down) at the end of the walk and be ok.

Would have thought they always fall outwards due to the loading pin pointing out that way?

Looks pretty nice (especially for the price). When you tried them, do they stand on their own? Do you set one up (upright), set it down on the spindle side, set up the other one, then have to finagle to get them both gripped before you go? I would want to know they can "fall" outwards (after setting down) at the end of the walk and be ok.

I was considering these and did some research. The consensus is that as you load them heavy they are going to cant inward and bump into your leg.

Plus there’s the issue of falling over.

For $30 you can get traditional handles from Titan. I think that’s the route I will take.

For a good bit more you can get the top loading handles, which have the benefit of staying put and upright when you set them down.

@Glen @Tirofijo From some YouTube research, the peg rolls independently, so people with 2+ same diameter plates are able to balance on the plates and then the handle can rotate down (in front or behind) to further stabilize. I also saw people step back once they touch down and kind of rotate them in so the peg is pointed up at rest.

I've used them in the past. Not recently, though.

For what it's worth, I do recall Pavel mentioning that he prefers using one bell rather than two. My chiro/PT has also recommended one-sided carries for some of my students' rehab.

They did not stand up on their own. The guy had them both loaded already (I added another plate to each) and they were lying on their side so the loading pin was pointing up. I dropped them on grass and they just fell outwards with no issues and were fine.

They did bump my legs a little bit, but they were loaded to 220lbs per side. And it wasn't enough to bruise my legs or be super uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Dang @WxHerk that's quite a progression!

I want to spend more time with carries this summer. Right now it's just 6-10 lengths (75 feet) of my backyard with 2x32kg. When I get to 10 lengths with not more rest needed in the later rounds, I'll see if I can grip 2x16 additional for 2x48 total, start back at 4-6 lengths and work back up.

After that, maybe eventually I'll build myself some farmer's walk handles so I can take it beyond 100 pounds per hand:
https://external-preview.redd.it/57...bp&s=8cfef5999fbd5ee5a8b0495498f3a1d95c8c07ea

You will definitely reach that, Sean..the trick is in your signature block:

“Little and often, over the long haul.” -- Dan John, attributed to Ralph Maughan

Just keep showing up and don't rush adding weight or distance. It's amazing how it will add up.

Hi friends, I had a debate with a fellow gym member and wanted to get your opinions on which version gets the most benefit out of a suitcase carry. His approach is walking around the gym with a 32kg kettlebell alternating hands each time he completes going around for a total of 24 times (12 with the right and 12 with the left). He says this approach is similar to lifting with dumbbells in that you perform 12 equal reps for each side. My approach is to walk around with a kettlebell and not counting how many times I go around the gym, but holding until my grip gives out. I do this 3-4 times, usually the fourth time I am just getting to doing one full walk around the gym and my arms are burning. Whose approach is better and what's your routine when doing suitcase carry? Thank you!

@vlam, personally I have never enjoyed training to the point of failure or near failure. Once in a while, OK, but not as a mainstay of your training.

A tip for you - when you do a suitcase carry, pretend that you have an equal weight in the other hand. This will make it harder, in a good way.

-S-

Hi, for those with limited gym or home space, does standing still holding a heavy kettlebell until your grip gives out offer any benefits? What does walking with heavy weight offer more since the arms aren't really moving, is it more of a workout for the legs with added cardio?

Walking jiggles the weight around causing variable load so there's that added challenge to grip. KB's or dumbbells you can do finger curls i.e. uncurl fingers until handle or bar is just held by their tips, then curl fingers to pull weight back to palm grip; I've done that a fair bit.
Lately, I've been doing trapbar squats (it's all in the set up angles) going up fast and down super SLOOOOOOOW, then touch and go for next rep. Has similar feel to farmer's carry

@phroot I’m sure standing still will offer some benefits (and perhaps cause some problems too), but carries develop a lot more than grip strength - I’d say that’s a secondary effect (the main one being tying your X through gait- see Original Strength).

@phroot I’m sure standing still will offer some benefits (and perhaps cause some problems too), but carries develop a lot more than grip strength - I’d say that’s a secondary effect (the main one being tying your X through gait- see Original Strength).

What problems could result from holding the kettlebell standing still? Could this same thing occur doing a farmer's walk?

I have a friend who had prior knee problems due to his weight and obesity, lost some and I told him to try farmer's walks for added measure but he said holding a heavy weight and walking around brought back the sensitive tightness around his knees he said he felt during his obese days. Any suggestions for him?

What are your friends goals? Loaded carries and Farmers Walks are great, but unless they are aligned with and support your friends goals, they may be of little or no value. (Especially if they are causing pain)
What goals align with loaded carries?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom